• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of conure is this?

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Aww, glad to here that the little guys finally going to a good home :xflove:
Thanks for taking him in :hug8:

When are you planning on getting him? And more pics please :D

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Don't get a cuddle tent/happy hut. There are other options. Lots of birds die every year from those sadly :(
How do they die from them? I was not aware of this. I had one in with my Pionus. She never went in it, but liked to chew on it once in a while.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How do they die from them? I was not aware of this. I had one in with my Pionus. She never went in it, but liked to chew on it once in a while.
That's how. They get tangled in the strings. Our green cheeks had them but they stopped using them anyway, so I hang fleece hammocks in their cage now instead. The kind we used to use for our rats when we had 'em.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
yes, as they chew it they can become entangled in the threads and if they do it while you aren't home, they can easily die from strangulation, stress, etc.

Another option is something like this Sassy Hoop

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Well, I have her.
It's been a gut-wrenching experience because I can see just how scared and confused that she is.
It seems that she misses her home of the last two months, which probably grew to feel secure for her. Now she finds herself in a large space, surrounded by strange objects. She is afraid of EVERYTHING and flinches at every move that I make. I really need to remove some items from her cage because I think she is afraid of all of them. Even the box that I transported her in is still in there. When it gets a little later, I will remove some things and cover her cage. But she is going to freak out when I do.
I hope she is able to locate her food and water. Better to keep them high or low?
As far as I can tell, she has never experienced a piece of fruit, or a shower, or even any kind of gentle contact with another living thing. She is just a little feather-ball of fear.
It's so hard to imagine her ever learning to trust me. Wow. Much worse than I imagined. Who knows what she may have been through. Right now all I am experiencing is intense sadness for her.

RaeT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rae
Awww, that's so sad. Poor sweetheart. :( At least she's with you now.

Could you try covering two or three sides of her cage? That might make it feel a little more secure and like her old cage.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Sadness for her past maybe, but think of how much better her life already is. She doesn't know it yet, but she will have a beautiful life full of love. She probably hasn't known love, but birds are flock animals and you are her flock now. :) She is going to change so much in your care. I can't wait to hear about each new step towards the happy, confident bird she's going to be! :marlenesmile: Birds are smart. She'll realize soon that you're not scary like the store employees that probably weren't quiet or gentle in their dealings with her. You've probably wondered if you've done the right thing. You have. You so have! :hug8:

I'd go ahead and cover the back and sides of her cage now so she feels secure, leaving the front open so she can see you and her new home.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Great idea to cover a part of her cage! I did that and she was immediately drawn to that side of the cage. She is flying back and forth between two perches on both sides of that cage. She is also spending a lot of time in launching position, looking like she wants to launch herself out of the cage. she is making a lot of soft chirping sounds but has also let out a few loud yells, as though something startled her.
It's good to see her flying back and forth. She has also perched on both her food and water bowls, so she knows where they are. She ate one or two seeds, but has not touched her water. I tried offering her a grape, but she would not go near it.
Yes, I am seriously having second thoughts, like maybe I got myself into something that I can not handle. What if she has hard-core anxiety issues???
Thank you so much for your encouragement, @RaeT and @faislaq!!!! It really means a lot to me.
Would you cover her cage completely at night? Should I leave the TV on for her while I am at work tomorrow?
Thanks!!!!!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Cover 3 sides

Get some nutriberries or healthy nuts and start dropping a treat in her dish about 3-5 times a day.

Sit close to the cage looking in another direction and talk, sing, or read aloud to her. This is the best way for her to get used to you. I highly recommend reading. I first did it beccause my audiologist said to read aloud for 30 min each day but after I saw how it helped i started reading the forum to them. LOL

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do leave the TV on or some music. Nothing loud or scary. There may be too many things in the cage for her right now and she could be overwhelmed so if you can take a few things out that might help. I agree with sitting next to her and talking to her softly or reading to her. Do you have some millet spray? That's a great treat to offer her. Also eat your meal or a snack next to her. Share some bird safe foods with her...veggies, some fruit, etc.
Typical for a bird to be scared when moved to a new environment. Everything is strange. The good thing is you visited with her several times so she does know you to some extent.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Would you cover her cage completely at night? Should I leave the TV on for her while I am at work tomorrow? Thanks!!!!!
Both great ideas. :tup: If she seems startled by the front being covered you can go back to just 3 sides, but many birds seem to like it. And TV or radio will be nice for her. I used to leave my laptop on YouTube with the 10 hour music or cartoons. Make sure you sit through at least 1 commercial before you leave so you know the commercials won't be ridiculously loud.

Get some nutriberries or healthy nuts and start dropping a treat in her dish about 3-5 times a day.

Sit close to the cage looking in another direction and talk, sing, or read aloud to her. This is the best way for her to get used to you. I highly recommend reading. I first did it because my audiologist said to read aloud for 30 min each day but after I saw how it helped i started reading the forum to them. LOL

More good advice! Even if she won't take the treats, she'll see you dropping them in her dish and associate you with good things. :yes1: And the not staring at her or being too quiet is good, too, 'cause predators stare silently. :nervous:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I leave the TV on for the downstairs birds when I am not home. Jaden was alone down here when he was a baby and I thought it would be nice for him. There are additional birds down here now but I still leave the TV on when I am gone.
I also have to leave the TV on Monday nights (used to be Tuesdays, too) so Spee can watch "Dancing with the Stars". :D

RaeT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rae
Yay, I'm glad she seems more comfortable now!

I'm pretty much just going to say I agree with everything the others have said: treats are a great idea. As long as she seems comfortable with it, I agree that covering her cage completely at night is a good idea. I personally leave the radio on quietly for mine during the day, they seem to like it.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I also have to leave the TV on Monday nights (used to be Tuesdays, too) so Spee can watch "Dancing with the Stars". :D
We all have our priorities. :lol:

@cab124 What if she has anxiety issues— well she could. So could any bird, parent, spouse, sibling, or child in your life. We just learn about the challenge and how best to deal with it..

I guess it depends on what kind of person you are or you want to be. If your strong steadiness would help her get beyond the anxiety and love you wouldn’t it be worth it?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Wow, so much excellent advice!!!!!!!!! I don't know what I would do without all of you. I would give anything for this to work out for her. Let's see if she is able to adjust over the next couple of days. Right now, she is still climbing all around the cage desperately looking for a way to escape and fly away. She does not want to be here!!
I heard her grind her beak a couple of times which is soooooooooo nice to hear. Cosmo used to do that all of the time when she was relaxed and contented.
I would take a few pictures, but I think that would frighten her even more. I will hold off until she settles.
Such good input to not stare at her. Never considered predators!!!
I hope she learns to like her cage!!! I tried my best to make it nice for her. That little, dark space in the pet store still brings tears to my eyes when I think about it.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What were they feeding her at the pet store? Are you feeding her the same even though might not be the best diet but it is something she is used to eating? You can slowly transition her to a better diet.
Thank you for deciding to bring her home with you. Just be ultra patient with her.
Do you have any relaxing type of music such as New Age, meditation, native American (no drums, though).