• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of conure is this?

WillowNMurphy

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Willow
Wow, I have been trying to interact with Mango a little more this morning, but she is absolutely terrified of me. She will come down at her regular feeding times to take food from my fingers between the bars, but then heads back up to her perch and does the death dance continually. I see what you mean about her looking "square" because her body looks like a solid, rectangular block as she does this dance/prance.

If I just sit at the computer and type next to her cage, she will sometimes come down to forage through her food bowl, but then goes back up to her high perch.

I have left the skewer that I am hoping to use to target train her with on the kitchen island next to her cage so that she will get used to it. Yesterday, it tried gently lifting it off of the table with my hand and she freaked out and flew across the cage and then wouldn't come near me anymore. I feel so bad for her. It must be awful to live in constant fear of everything.

I think we need to spend more time together so that maybe she can get more used to me. This is going to be a very loooooong, slow process.

Eventually, I am going to have to take her out of the cage so that I can clean the cage. Also, she will need to go to the vet. I have no idea how I would ever pull that off without destroying the tiny bit of trust that she might have for me.

As I am writing this, she just came down and is sitting quietly next to me. I have been talking to her and looking at her. She is looking intently back at me. I wonder what she is thinking!!!

I love following your progress with mango and I think you’re doing amazing.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I love following your progress with mango and I think you’re doing amazing.

:yes3: Only show to you because you're on people time. Considering what we know of her treatment before coming home, she really has made huge progress in bird time.

Try dancing back to her next time she does her "death dance". Scotty likes to be as high up as possible when he dances & it sounds like that perch is Mango's highest spot. She may be trying to engage you, play along and see?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
:yes3: Only show to you because you're on people time. Considering what we know of her treatment before coming home, she really has made huge progress in bird time.

Try dancing back to her next time she does her "death dance". Scotty likes to be as high up as possible when he dances & it sounds like that perch is Mango's highest spot. She may be trying to engage you, play along and see?
Hmmmm....but I am not a very good dancer!!! What if she interprets my dance as something hostile??? Hehe.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
upload_2018-5-25_17-41-57.png

Hi Everyone! Mango here. PLEASE DON'T EAT ME.

This is my high perch in my "safe space" in the covered part of the cage where I hang out most of the time. Don't get too close or you will completely FREAK ME OUT.

Does anyone have a Nutri-Berry that they can spare???

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is quite stunning. Have you removed the cage cover entirely yet?
Jaden, my Dusky Conure, runs away from new things although not from me unless I am holding something unfamiliar to him.
Trying to get him to play with a Cheeky Chirp toy I purchased specifically for him and every time I show it to him he runs to the opposite side of the cage.
If you think she would be OK with more things in the cage add some additional toys and a swing.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
She is quite stunning. Have you removed the cage cover entirely yet?
Jaden, my Dusky Conure, runs away from new things although not from me unless I am holding something unfamiliar to him.
Trying to get him to play with a Cheeky Chirp toy I purchased specifically for him and every time I show it to him he runs to the opposite side of the cage.
If you think she would be OK with more things in the cage add some additional toys and a swing.
Any chance that you could post a few current pictures of Jaden?? I would love to see him!

I had some more toys in the cage at one time, but they seemed to make her scared so I removed them. No, I have not yet tried uncovering the cage fully. So worried about making her feel unsafe. Maybe I will try tomorrow.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe hang a new toy on the outside of the cage for a bit. It's confusing what my Linnie considers perfectly fine or terrifying. :(

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Any chance that you could post a few current pictures of Jaden?? I would love to see him!

I had some more toys in the cage at one time, but they seemed to make her scared so I removed them. No, I have not yet tried uncovering the cage fully. So worried about making her feel unsafe. Maybe I will try tomorrow.

jaden 1-18a.jpg
jaden1.jpg

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Wow! Such a beautiful little dude! That is the first time that I have seen a dusky conure. How old is he? He definitely looks bigger than Mango.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I'd leave the back covered like it is as she seems to need a safe zone & it will ease her stress.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Maybe hang a new toy on the outside of the cage for a bit. It's confusing what my Linnie considers perfectly fine or terrifying. :(
I know what you mean! Sometimes it is just not obvious why one object scares them and another does not.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow! Such a beautiful little dude! That is the first time that I have seen a dusky conure. How old is he? He definitely looks bigger than Mango.
Thanks. He is 11 years old. They are slightly larger than GCCs. They are Aratinga conures whereas the GCCs are Pyrrhuras.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I feel like we had a little bit of a breakthrough today.

Mango woke me up at 7:00 this morning with some loud calls. I enjoy her calls. They are so cute and very sweet to the ears!

I greeted her and fed her a few Nutri-berries through the bars, then I went out for my morning run.

When I got home, she was very interactive and very noisy. Lots of chirping and climbing around her cage. When I ignored her and went about my chores, she would get loud until I showed her some attention. At the same time, she still expressed a fear of me when I got close. It was as if she wanted to engage me but from a distance.

Eventually, I decided to spend some up close time with her, so I opened the door of her cage and pulled up a chair and engaged her by looking at her through the open door. I spoke to her and praised her and she seemed to start enjoying this. Someone suggested showing her some praise with hand clapping, etc. She responded to this!!! She became excited and looked very happy. The more I clapped and laughed, the more excited she got. It was awesome!!

Then I took a Nutra-Berry in my hand and lifted it toward her. Instead of running away, she just sat there and stared at it, almost tempted to reach for it. A few times she went and hid behind her toy and did the death dance. But each time she came back out and engaged again. We did this for a while. She never took the treat, but that is ok. She let me get closer than ever before, and there was a sense of trust and bonding being built.

Then, she came down to her water dish to drink, right next to my head! As she was drinking, right next to me, I started to laugh and clap, and she got so excited that she started to take a bath in her water!! She started splashing and flapping and got both her and me soaked!!!!! It was sooooo much fun. We are bonding!!!!

Now, she is sitting up on her high perch drying off, and I am giving her some space. We had fun together and bonded a little more today. I can see that there is an incredible personality underneath all of that fear. I am going to keep working toward her taking a treat from my hand inside the cage. That will be an amazing moment for me!!!!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Thanks. He is 11 years old. They are slightly larger than GCCs. They are Aratinga conures whereas the GCCs are Pyrrhuras.
Wow, so interesting. Is there a good place to learn about the classifications of the Conures?? Maybe I will check Wikipedia.

Yes, Jaden really is very beautiful. What is his personality like? Is he more nippy being a male?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin

Mango woke me up at 7:00 this morning with some loud calls. I enjoy her calls. They are so cute and very sweet to the ears!

I greeted her and fed her a few Nutri-berries through the bars, then I went out for my morning run.

When I got home, she was very interactive and very noisy. Lots of chirping and climbing around her cage. When I ignored her and went about my chores, she would get loud until I showed her some attention. At the same time, she still expressed a fear of me when I got close. It was as if she wanted to engage me but from a distance.

Eventually, I decided to spend some up close time with her, so I opened the door of her cage and pulled up a chair and engaged her by looking at her through the open door. I spoke to her and praised her and she seemed to start enjoying this. Someone suggested showing her some praise with hand clapping, etc. She responded to this!!! She became excited and looked very happy. The more I clapped and laughed, the more excited she got. It was awesome!!

Then I took a Nutra-Berry in my hand and lifted it toward her. Instead of running away, she just sat there and stared at it, almost tempted to reach for it. A few times she went and hid behind her toy and did the death dance. But each time she came back out and engaged again. We did this for a while. She never took the treat, but that is ok. She let me get closer than ever before, and there was a sense of trust and bonding being built.

Then, she came down to her water dish to drink, right next to my head! As she was drinking, right next to me, I started to laugh and clap, and she got so excited that she started to take a bath in her water!! She started splashing and flapping and got both her and me soaked!!!!! It was sooooo much fun. We are bonding!!!!

Now, she is sitting up on her high perch drying off, and I am giving her some space. We had fun together and bonded a little more today. I can see that there is an incredible personality underneath all of that fear. I am going to keep working toward her taking a treat from my hand inside the cage. That will be an amazing moment for me!!!!
That IS awesome progress!! She is really warming up to you:heart:

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Wow! That is amazing progress! Especially the bath part! She must have felt vulnerable but couldn't resist! Many birds seem to love drama, the more clapping and laughing the better!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Jaden is such a pretty Dusky Conure! Great face!
Thank you.

Wow, so interesting. Is there a good place to learn about the classifications of the Conures?? Maybe I will check Wikipedia.

Yes, Jaden really is very beautiful. What is his personality like? Is he more nippy being a male?

Thanks. Yes he is nippy. I had a female Dusky and she was extremely sweet. He is also louder than she was.
https://birdeden.com/complete-list-of-conure-species-with-pictures

Sounds like you are continuing to make progress with Mango. I am so glad for both of you that things are working out and you are starting to bond.