• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do you think of this perch?

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
PERCH.jpg

Our vet is big on natural wood perches. W and the tiels have plenty of T4W and TNT perches.
I don't think this perch (above) would be bad on W's feet. It's been in his house before, but I don't know for how long. He must have sat on it. You can see it is not brand new. I don't remember.
I removed it after the vet said only natural perches - but wouldn't those kind of sandy perches help trim his talons? (Are they called sandy perches? I think so, but...)

Anyway, this seems to be an OK perch, yes? It's not like W does not have a bunch of others to sit on.

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle
Can't see the photo. I assume you're talking about this:

Yukio has one he doesn't use. I personally don't like them that much, because it also damages the bottom of the feet. Natural perches also trim their talons.

edit: I see it now

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
The one Mizzely posted is the one we use, has the smooth area they sit on but the talons get the pumice treatment.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I use this a Beach Branch Perch like this one Beach Branch Perch - Medium - Edible Parrot Perch Both of my guys really like them. Echo usually sleeps on his. And it was really helpful for Zane when he was falling all the time. It was the one perch he could really get a grip on. Zane has a small Living World Pedi-Perch, which sort of acts like a stepping stool to help him get at his food dish. Living World Pedi-Perch, Small: Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies It's my least favorite one. Echo also has the green one @AvianCrew posted. I haven't had any problems with them and the green one I brought a my vets, so I figured it was safe.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Mine don't like them. Won't have anythingto do with them ,they avoid at all cost.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
both Sweet Pea and Bebe have sand type perches. when Sweet Pea isn't in the nest box, it's her night night perch. Bebe has one that is flat with sand sides and I turn it from flat side up to curved side up weekly. he sleeps on it too.they are in bed but I will take pictures in the AM.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
View attachment 251221

Our vet is big on natural wood perches. W and the tiels have plenty of T4W and TNT perches.
I don't think this perch (above) would be bad on W's feet. It's been in his house before, but I don't know for how long. He must have sat on it. You can see it is not brand new. I don't remember.
I removed it after the vet said only natural perches - but wouldn't those kind of sandy perches help trim his talons? (Are they called sandy perches? I think so, but...)

Anyway, this seems to be an OK perch, yes? It's not like W does not have a bunch of others to sit on.

Pediperches do work to trim the nails but that's only if they are active on them. If they just sit on them it doesn't trim the nails and not a good place to sit all the time for the feet. I wouldn't put it in his favorite spot but somewhere he "travels".

If you were to use it as a transport stick it would be very effective at trimming the nails because thats a lot of movement and they really need to grip it while moving.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Pediperches do work to trim the nails but that's only if they are active on them. If they just sit on them it doesn't trim the nails and not a good place to sit all the time for the feet. I wouldn't put it in his favorite spot but somewhere he "travels".

If you were to use it as a transport stick it would be very effective at trimming the nails because thats a lot of movement and they really need to grip it while moving.
Yes mine mostly sit on them. And yes that does nothing for their nails. I can attest to that!! :laugh:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Mine don't like them. Won't have anythingto do with them ,they avoid at all cost.
Mine either. The colours freak them all out. Why can't they just make brown tree coloured ones. :)

BlueAbyss

Walking the driveway
Mine either. The colours freak them all out. Why can't they just make brown tree coloured ones. :)
That would be a wonderful idea!! I agree with the colors. Kai doesn't like the colors of the perch at all but love brightly color toys!! :roflmao:

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
We had a purple one and Lucy was scared of it, she likes the green one though and also likes to rub her beak on it.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

How do you keep your birds' nails trimmed?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

How do you keep your birds' nails trimmed?

Tika's T stick is covered with 100grit sandpaper (just like the one I was going to send you but you didn't want) and that is how he travels so he gets a touch up every time he moves. I've also conditioned him to play with his feet so I grab a nail and sand it down while he's sitting there.
IMG_2181.JPG
Amanda will let me clip her nails with a little reluctance. The littles get toweled

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Mine are on their door for the same reason.. movement. They only use them to get in and out of the cage :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I used the Saftey Pumice Perch before, and one of my tiels got the beginning of bumble foot from it. The other birds didn't, but for some reason she did. I took it out and that solved the problem. After a couple years I thought I'd try it again, but she started to develop little sores again. No more Saftey Punice Perches for her. Her nails grow like crazy, and I don't think they help that much anyway. Like stated, they probably need to move around on them a lot to work. I take my birds to the vet or pet store for clipping, or do it myself with a towel.