• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do you think of this perch?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Flagstone platform perches also seem to help :)

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Tika's T stick is covered with 100grit sandpaper (just like the one I was going to send you but you didn't want) and that is how he travels so he gets a touch up every time he moves. I've also conditioned him to play with his feet so I grab a nail and sand it down while he's sitting there.
View attachment 251244
Amanda will let me clip her nails with a little reluctance. The littles get toweled

That's really clever what you've done with Tika! I wish I had remembered to get dad to build me a stick like yours while he was still with us

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Tika's T stick is covered with 100grit sandpaper (just like the one I was going to send you but you didn't want) and that is how he travels so he gets a touch up every time he moves. I've also conditioned him to play with his feet so I grab a nail and sand it down while he's sitting there.
View attachment 251244
Amanda will let me clip her nails with a little reluctance. The littles get toweled
John,

How did you make that transfer stick?

Is the sandpaper glued down?

If I can't get the fellow to make them out of dowels, that might be a possibility.

Also if someone doesn't want sandpaper they can use vet wrap on it.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
John,

How did you make that transfer stick?

Is the sandpaper glued down?

If I can't get the fellow to make them out of dowels, that might be a possibility.

Also if someone doesn't want sandpaper they can use vet wrap on it.
I used a 2 1/2 inch thick maple dowel that you can buy at any home improvement place. It needs to be big to be effective so their feet can't wrap around it and they must grip it with their talons.

Regular 100 or 120 grit sandpaper. Roll the paper around the dowel (dry fit). Mark where they meet and precut the sandpaper from the backside with a razor knife. Coat the entire back of the sandpaper with yellow/white carpenters wood glue. Wrap it around the dowel and tie with string. Use a bundle of string so you can wrap the entire perch round and round every 1/4 inch all the way. Dry overnight.

Once dry you can not peel that paper off. It's now part of the wood.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you want to try flagstone perches you can purchase them here: Perches
Most of my birds use the pedicure perches or concrete perches but I do sometimes have to take them to the vet for nail trims.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
my 2 sand perches
IMG_0001.JPG
Sweet Pea's green sleeping perch.
IMG_0002.JPG
Bebe hanging out on his sand perch.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Is it the kind with the smooth top and bottom?

Bird Perches: Pumice conditioning perch from Drs. Foster & Smith

If so, I've used them for years
Your recommendation of these perches has saved my arm. A few weeks ago I noticed Buzzard chewing at his nails and then one evening they actually started cutting me, drawing blood. He had just gotten his nails trimmed a week or so before, so I ordered this perch because you and a few others recommended them in a couple of threads. I had no idea until I searched it on here that some birds actually sharpen their nails? (The horror!) Now, thanks to this miracle perch, and 2 weeks of Neosporin, my arm is almost healed. (I couldn't not hold him, he didn't understand and his toenails kept getting stuck in the ACE bandage when I tried to wrap my arm, so I just had to grin and bear it. Ouch!)
I had passed these up before because they looked like cheap plastic. I thought the texture would come off and that he might chew through them. But I'm glad I took a chance on this one. The XL is too big to bite and I see no wear on the sides so far. Looks like we will be using them for years now, also. I will definitely be ordering another when this one wears out.
He has a few of the other styles, but none of them have helped dull his nails like this one has.

Last edited:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
The perch in your original picture is the exact same pedicure perch I use with most of my guys and I LOVE IT! It's the only perch that works for their toe nails for the birds who won't destroy it. I put it next to their food dishes. You don't want it high where they will perch on it a long time because it can eventually cause pressure sores on their feet. I like the food dish because then they also clean their beaks on it as well. My Rosies, greys, and Amazons keep their beaks looking fairly nice by getting the food off them on the perch.

And just a note, I was told that vet wrap contains zinc in it...I haven't had a chance to check it out yet for sure but the source was reliable. I'm going to go look now and will report back but just a heads up!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Quack had a large sandy perch when I got her and it had been by her food bowl. Her feet were almost raw and she had worn her beak down dangerously close to the nerves. It was quite pink with no excess whatsoever. She was also falling off her bed perch a lot, I think partly because her feet were sore.
I moved the perch to her toy basket where she spends less time. I do have to help flake off and file her beak a bit now but her feet are better. I trim her nails through the cage bars now when she is on the side as she is terrified of being towelled (& I am not comfortable toweling her after the lip biting incident). She is ok with me filing her beak out on a perch though.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
@DQTimnehs Thank you for that. Buzzy's perch is the kind with a wide, smooth strip along the top and bottom, but I will be mindful to keep an eye on his toes.
Also, I like the idea of filing toenails through the bars. How did the two of you come to this arrangement? :wideyed: I would like to enter into these negotiations with Buzz! And ever since I saw a couple threads where JLCribber suggested putting a brick in the cage, Buzzard's beak has never looked better. :yes4:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@DQTimnehs Thank you for that. Buzzy's perch is the kind with a wide, smooth strip along the top and bottom, but I will be mindful to keep an eye on his toes.
Also, I like the idea of filing toenails through the bars. How did the two of you come to this arrangement? :wideyed: I would like to enter into these negotiations with Buzz! And ever since I saw a couple threads where JLCribber suggested putting a brick in the cage, Buzzard's beak has never looked better. :yes4:
A brick?

I missed that thread @JLcribber

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

I don't file her nails, I clip them with cat clippers. I file her beak with a nail file. She has never liked being towelled. A couple of years ago it turned to disaster when I tried to towel her by slowly bringing the towel in from behind her while she was perched on my hand. It had worked nicely at the vet awhile before that. But I was holding her too high and she was nervous, making me nervous. The only thing she could see to grab was my lip and ended up hanging from it and I needed stitches to put it back together.
So I haven't been too successful toweling her since that. She flies away in fear every time she sees the towel.
I still have to be careful through the bars as she will try to bite. But the last time, I did Darwin first while perched on my hand. He regurgitated the whole time. :rolleyes: Then I did Quack through her cage. She laughed the whole time which was a lot more fun than crying and being terrified. :) She still tried to bite the odd time but it's more like a game.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Oh I'll add that our nightly routine involves Quack climbing to the top of her cage to hang upside down and swing crazily doing "crazy bird" while we sing to her. So on her way up I grab a toe. It may take a few tries to get them all as she usually gets away after I do a few.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
Nell and Sweetie bot have one. It definitely helps Nelly also after a shower she trims her own naiks. Remeber the perch has to be big ebough so his foot goes around and the naiks meet and the bottom,I'll pm you a pic of Nelly's on FB

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I meant concrete block. :) I said "brick" because I went with a half-size paver -the regular 1'x1' pavers weighed about 10 lbs! :wideyed: So it kinda looks like a brick. I looked for that decorative one but I could only find it on Lowes & it was discontinued. And I got a plain concrete one because I was afraid that any pretty colored ones might have something that wasn't safe in them, so I stuck with what I knew was already birdie approved. :D

Last edited: