• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do you let your birds drink?

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Darwin tries to steal a sip from any cup or glass he sees. If it's juice or water, not so bad if nobody else has had a sip yet. But juice has a lot of sugar, even unsweetened juice (cranberry - no sugar added) so they get it very seldom.

I let Quack take a sip from my juice glass once and I thought she backwashed but then when I got to the bottom I found a pellet! :rofl:

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Darwin tries to steal a sip from any cup or glass he sees. If it's juice or water, not so bad if nobody else has had a sip yet. But juice has a lot of sugar, even unsweetened juice (cranberry - no sugar added) so they get it very seldom.

I let Quack take a sip from my juice glass once and I thought she backwashed but then when I got to the bottom I found a pellet! :rofl:
Haha that is hilarious! Bird backwash- she wanted to make sure you ate your pellets too. Harley was really insistent once on trying to drink wine, obviously wasn't going to happen. So I went and filled up another wine glass with tea- he sat there drinking his tea out of the wine glass with such a smug, satisfied look on his face haha.

Rachel Karfit

Sitting on the front steps
Korben is a drink bandit. I give him his own 16 oz Tervis cup with water and ice cubes or a fruity tea, or coconut water. Diluted Knudsen’s “juice only” beverages are good too. They aren’t loaded with sugar. The Tervis cups are sturdy enough that he doesn’t flip them over on himself when he climbs up on the rim.
After that he usually leaves Mom’s and Dad’s beverages alone. Usually. I also float blueberries in there with the ice occasionally, since they are his favorite treat and he seems to enjoy the game of ‘bobbing for berries.’

Castiel

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Elvis wants to drink from our glasses. This is the bird that has no interest in our food and refuses any vegetables but corn on the cob. :rolleyes: So, I was thinking maybe I would get him his own glass and let him start drinking things that were good for him. Then maybe I could start putting mashed food in his glass and slowly work our way up to chop, etc. But I've never given my birds anything but water. So I need suggestions please as to what he can drink.
Cas loves mango juice with chunks of mango in it.

Castiel

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
I hate to say it but he loves getting into my tea glass when I'm not looking. I drink unsweetened iced tea but I have heard it is bad for birds having caffine so I try to keep it away from him. He pretty much goes after anything I have in a glass though and I mean anything. Rum and coke and you better watch out. He will attack you to get to it. I will let him take a very small sip but I try to keep it away from him. I want him to have a happy healthy life. So I try to be a good dad as much as possible.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
One time I had a friend over and we were having frozen pina coladas. Darwin was on my friend's shoulder trying to get to her drink. She transferred it to her other hand and he rushed down the other arm, grabbed her straw, flinging pina colada all over her blouse. She was a little slow to react having had a drink or two and not being used to fending off a drink-thieving parrot! :lol:

Castiel

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
One time I had a friend over and we were having frozen pina coladas. Darwin was on my friend's shoulder trying to get to her drink. She transferred it to her other hand and he rushed down the other arm, grabbed her straw, flinging pina colada all over her blouse. She was a little slow to react having had a drink or two and not being used to fending off a drink-thieving parrot! :lol:
:coffeescreen:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Leia is allowed water and a little sip of chamomile, mint or rooibus tea if I have a mug of it. I like to keep a glass of water on my desk for me, and occasion she has dropped a pellet in it - and watched with great interest as it sank.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Penny is supposed to like tea...What kinds of teas..herbal (they said they let her sip green decaf)
Camomile? Ginger root?...

What herbal teas would be good for a bird?

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Yen would LOVE it if I let her drink coffee... :shifty: She knows I don't share with her, but she's obsessed with the stuff. I can only imagine the horror giving her a sip would cause.

Guzma has to stick his face into anything he sees a human drinking. Mostly because he wants to bathe in it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Penny is supposed to like tea...What kinds of teas..herbal (they said they let her sip green decaf)
Camomile? Ginger root?...

What herbal teas would be good for a bird?

chamomile, ginger, fruit teas, would all be safe

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Made a dilute 1 bag to qt org chamomile / ginger root tea & have it in a glass jar to keep in fridge. Gave her some in her bowl...don't think she tasted it yet.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Anyone know if mint herbal teas are okay? Peppermint, spearmint, etc. :coffee:
I'm not sure she would behave better with something stronger, because we don't. :D :patrelax:
First she will be very happy, then she will be screaming and dancing. :yahoo: :dance55:Later she will be very sad and tell everyone how much she loves them, :grouphug2: then she will be falling asleep with out preening her feathers. :sleeping4: Next day she will had a very bad temper with headache, :madwife:and biting you for not letting her sleep in silent. :sos:
Oh my gosh! Bwahahaha! :toofunny: So true!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Avian Teas Avian Teas | Greywood Manor Tea & Provisions, Animals, Tea, Herbal I got a healthy tea they call Iron Out because I like the ingredients. I make tea once in a while for the birds and serve it in their water dish. Only once in a while though. I also cut up some of the flower leaves and let them fall in the seed blend. Right now some of their teas are out of stock like the one I bought. The shipping took a while as I am used to prime shipping on Amazon.

Ingredient List: Of Iron Out
Dandelion Root, *Milk Thistle, Rose Petals, *Ginger Root, *Juniper Berry, *Chrysanthemum

*All Organic Ingredients Marked with *

Last edited: