• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do you let your birds drink?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Elvis wants to drink from our glasses. This is the bird that has no interest in our food and refuses any vegetables but corn on the cob. :rolleyes: So, I was thinking maybe I would get him his own glass and let him start drinking things that were good for him. Then maybe I could start putting mashed food in his glass and slowly work our way up to chop, etc. But I've never given my birds anything but water. So I need suggestions please as to what he can drink.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I let me birds drink watered down juices (100% obviously) and cooled herbal teas. :) You could probably use some watered down baby food!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I agree on the carrot juice. Good with a small bit of ginger. Matter of fact you can make some very nutritious smoothies with carrot juice, ginger and Apple's. Taste yummy so you can all drink it together.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Grumbles steals ALL of my smoothies :rolleyes: He tries to take my straw from me as I am drinking it :lol:
The smoothies I make for myself usually have lots of fruit, honey, and usually one veggie such as spinach.
I did make a veggie smoothie for Grumbles once, it smelled awful and I would have never drank it, but he liked it. He will only touch it if in the mason jar cups we use though, he ignores it if in his bowl. :bored:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks for the ideas! I'll be trying them this weekend.

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
On occasion we make a special tea mix for Harley, from Greywood Manor. They have all kinds of varieties. He likes to sip his out of a coffee mug when I have my morning coffee or a cup of evening tea. Here's the link: https://greywoodmanor.com/

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
On occasion we make a special tea mix for Harley, from Greywood Manor. They have all kinds of varieties. He likes to sip his out of a coffee mug when I have my morning coffee or a cup of evening tea. Here's the link: https://greywoodmanor.com/
Thanks. This weekend got busy. So I didn't give Elvis his own cup yet but I was drinking some iced coffee Sunday evening and he once again tried to take a sip. At least I think that's what he wants to do- or just chew on the cup. LOL. Not sure. But I will give it a try.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Thanks. This weekend got busy. So I didn't give Elvis his own cup yet but I was drinking some iced coffee Sunday evening and he once again tried to take a sip. At least I think that's what he wants to do- or just chew on the cup. LOL. Not sure. But I will give it a try.
Very busy weekend! Our GCC's like to chew the tops of cups...or try to bathe in them haha.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Only water and home made juice. (most carrot with broccoli)
It is very important that they drink pure water, so I would suggest to give them as little of other things as possible. (more then juice for a vitamin boost)

Bella drinks only water but some days, I would love to give her something stronger.......... so she would behave
I'm not sure she would behave better with something stronger, because we don't. :D :patrelax:
First she will be very happy, then she will be screaming and dancing. :yahoo: :dance55:Later she will be very sad and tell everyone how much she loves them, :grouphug2: then she will be falling asleep with out preening her feathers. :sleeping4: Next day she will had a very bad temper with headache, :madwife:and biting you for not letting her sleep in silent. :sos:

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Only water and home made juice. (most carrot with broccoli)
It is very important that they drink pure water, so I would suggest to give them as little of other things as possible. (more then juice for a vitamin boost)

I'm not sure she would behave better with something stronger, because we don't. :D :patrelax:
First she will be very happy, then she will be screaming and dancing. :yahoo: :dance55:Later she will be very sad and tell everyone how much she loves them, :grouphug2: then she will be falling asleep with out preening her feathers. :sleeping4: Next day she will had a very bad temper with headache, :madwife:and biting you for not letting her sleep in silent. :sos:
Is that what happens? I don't drink alcohol so I don't know. My big vices are knitting, crocheting and beading.

RandyMiller

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Randy Miller
I make sure I only provide distilled water to my buffy. I don't want to take any chances with flavored water.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I just found this one too! This one has several recipe ideas. I'm thinking that using this as a 'smoothie sauce' would also be a great way to mix up the taste of chop mixes each day. For example, I usually make a chop base and add stuff to mix up the flavor a little - this would be an easy and nutritious way to do that! :)
I wish I had a blender by now! I am usually very picky and indecisive while shopping, so I have yet to find the 'right' blender. :facepalm:

Vegetable Smoothies For Your Pet Bird

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks @ode.to.parrots . I will have to try some of those. Elvis refuses to eat vegetables (but for corn on the cob). So if I can get him to drink some, that would be great.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

:laughing6::laughing7: