• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What Bird To Get!

harpersmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ania
I'd honestly get a bird that is like a first time bird. If this is your first time having a bird, you should go for a budgie, cockatiel, lovebird, parrotlet, or conure.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
What got you in to lovebirds?
I´m sorry, I have only just seen this message! :( (PS you can tag people by using @ and then their name, I´m @Zara )

My boyfriend actually. He opened my eyes to the wonderful world of birds. His uncle has a lot of lovebirds too so I knew about them but I had never owned a bird. He bought me a lovebird as a gift (he asked me first). I fell in love with my little bird so fast!❤

I'd honestly get a bird that is like a first time bird. If this is your first time having a bird, you should go for a budgie, cockatiel, lovebird, parrotlet, or conure.
@SquawksNibbles - post the little birds picture from earlier please❤

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
@SquawksNibbles - post the little birds picture from earlier please❤
Sure thing!

In my opinion, there are no 'starter birds.' Every bird requires the same care. Not everyone's first bird needs to be a smaller bird. I love the little guys, that's why I don't tell people that are new to birds that they should start with the smaller guys because they are "easy to care for." The littles require a proper diet, suitable cage, vet care, plenty of toys, and love, just like any other bigger bird. Some first time bird people do have the time, space, and money to properly care for a parrot like a cockatoo or macaw. Just because they're new to birds doesn't mean they need to get a little bird. The most important things to think about is what one is capable of handling. Then there's also the fact that each bird is an individual and not all birds of a same species will behave the same. This is also why a lot of people recommend meeting birds at a rescue, @BirdsForever. The staff at the rescue are able to learn about the behaviors and personality of each individual bird, and help find the individual bird that fits your lifestyle. I know several AA members have went to rescues looking to adopt with specific birds in mind, and they came out with a type of bird they never even considered, yet the bird was the best fit for them! Just shows that it's not necessarily about the type of bird you get, but instead the individual bird you connect with the most. :)

harpersmom

Real Name
Ania
Sure thing!

In my opinion, there are no 'starter birds.' Every bird requires the same care. Not everyone's first bird needs to be a smaller bird. I love the little guys, that's why I don't tell people that are new to birds that they should start with the smaller guys because they are "easy to care for." The littles require a proper diet, suitable cage, vet care, plenty of toys, and love, just like any other bigger bird. Some first time bird people do have the time, space, and money to properly care for a parrot like a cockatoo or macaw. Just because they're new to birds doesn't mean they need to get a little bird. The most important things to think about is what one is capable of handling. Then there's also the fact that each bird is an individual and not all birds of a same species will behave the same. This is also why a lot of people recommend meeting birds at a rescue, @BirdsForever. The staff at the rescue are able to learn about the behaviors and personality of each individual bird, and help find the individual bird that fits your lifestyle. I know several AA members have went to rescues looking to adopt with specific birds in mind, and they came out with a type of bird they never even considered, yet the bird was the best fit for them! Just shows that it's not necessarily about the type of bird you get, but instead the individual bird you connect with the most. :)
I know, but it’s your opinion. Some birds are just simply easier to care for. They aren’t too loud, and don’t need your complete attention 24/7 like if you go to school or something. -_+

harpersmom

Real Name
Ania
Sure thing!

and I used to have a bigger bird so in my experience starting off with bigger was hard. I was just trying to help jeez.

harpersmom

Real Name
Ania
Sure thing!

And by the way I NEVER defined the bird by its size. I was just saying my experience. I never EVER said that they needed to get a small bird. I was saying choices that they might want or be interested in. I didn’t say they had to I was saying if I were them I would. I don’t need some testimony about how small birds have big personalities I get it I have a small bird myself. :/

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
My Mother had a bird when I was a kid he was a budgie and he was the cutest bird! She said every morning it would wake her up by flying to her dressing table picking up a peice of jewellery dropping it on the floor and screaming at it until she went and picked it up.

The birds size doesn’t matter to me. I believe their personality’s are all just as big. I am going to go to my local rescue for a few visits and see which bird chooses me and if it’s compatible with my life style and I can handle it then that will be my bird. Side Note-I probably won’t get a macaw as I can’t afford to give them the best life possible (my ultimate goal with my animals) :hug8:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
They aren’t too loud
I invite you to my home ;)

I was just trying to help
We know, but it is good to remind those that don´t live with little birds (who may be browsing this thread) what they are really about.

I will say though, that with a smaller bird comes less expense in the toys department compared to that of a macaw or cockatoo :geek:

She said every morning it would wake her up by flying to her dressing table picking up a peice of jewellery dropping it on the floor and screaming at it until she went and picked it up.
That sounds adorable! ❤

I am going to go to my local rescue for a few visits and see which bird chooses me and if it’s compatible with my life style
Fantastic. I wish you the best in your search for your feathered friend. Please do update us on any progress :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
No amount of pictures is a ridiculous amount! :roflmao:

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
@thattealharp9, I apologize if it seemed like I was attacking you in any way, as that was not my intention. As you said, what I posted was my opinion and thoughts, so I was just putting my thoughts out there just as you did when you made your first post on this thread.

@Zara perfectly explained my reasons for me making that post.

We know, but it is good to remind those that don´t live with little birds (who may be browsing this thread) what they are really about.

And by the way I NEVER defined the bird by its size. I was just saying my experience. I never EVER said that they needed to get a small bird. I was saying choices that they might want or be interested in. I didn’t say they had to I was saying if I were them I would. I don’t need some testimony about how small birds have big personalities I get it I have a small bird myself. :/

I have just seen so much false crap about the little guys (not necessarily only here on the forum), and felt like putting my opinion out there. And usually the term "starter-bird" or "beginner-bird" is accompanied with the crap I see about little birds. It's just a term I really dislike at this point. However, you have made it clear that you did not mean it the way I have so often seen it. So, again, I apologize. I do stand by what I said originally about little birds, but none of it was meant to attack you.

They aren’t too loud

The noise I completely understand. I'm aware that macaws and 'toos are capable of making much louder noises and calls. My two budgies can be really loud for their size, but having lived with them 6 years you get used to it. ;) But, my family.... not so much. They think the birds' noise level is crazy ridiculous, and they haven't even heard a macaw or cockatoo scream yet. :D

The birds size doesn’t matter to me. I believe their personality’s are all just as big. I am going to go to my local rescue for a few visits and see which bird chooses me and if it’s compatible with my life style and I can handle it then that will be my bird.

That is wonderful! You sound like you are a great bird person, and I know that any rescue bird would be happy to have you. :) I really do hope you meet that special feathered someone at the rescue. And yes, please keep us updated (and pictures are a must if/when you bring home a new companion! :laugh: ). If you have any questions, just ask away!

harpersmom

Real Name
Ania
@thattealharp9, I apologize if it seemed like I was attacking you in any way, as that was not my intention. As you said, what I posted was my opinion and thoughts, so I was just putting my thoughts out there just as you did when you made your first post on this thread.

I have just seen so much false crap about the little guys (not necessarily only here on the forum), and felt like putting my opinion out there. And usually the term "starter-bird" or "beginner-bird" is accompanied with the crap I see about little birds. It's just a term I really dislike at this point. However, you have made it clear that you did not mean it the way I have so often seen it. So, again, I apologize. I do stand by what I said originally about little birds, but none of it was meant to attack you.

The noise I completely understand. I'm aware that macaws and 'toos are capable of making much louder noises and calls. My two budgies can be really loud for their size, but having lived with them 6 years you get used to it. ;) But, my family.... not so much. They think the birds' noise level is crazy ridiculous, and they haven't even heard a macaw or cockatoo scream yet. :D

That is wonderful! You sound like you are a great bird person, and I know that any rescue bird would be happy to have you. :) I really do hope you meet that special feathered someone at the rescue. And yes, please keep us updated (and pictures are a must if/when you bring home a new companion! :laugh: ). If you have any questions, just ask away!
If I was rude I didn’t mean to be. I just didn’t want you to think I thought little birds weren’t capable of being like any other bird, I’m sorry if I was rude dear. They have such big personalities! :)

harpersmom

Real Name
Ania

I will say though, that with a smaller bird comes less expense in the toys department compared to that of a macaw or cockatoo :geek:

That sounds adorable! ❤

Fantastic. I wish you the best in your search for your feathered friend. Please do update us on any progress :)
Ahahaha lovebirds on the other hand

harpersmom

Real Name
Ania

By the way I really don’t care about the size tbh. It matters on the inside. Beauty goes deeper than the surface :)