• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What Bird To Get!

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Hi everyone! I wasn’t sure where to put this so sorry if it’s in the wrong place.I have been really in to birds for a few years now and am thinking about getting one in October this year.

The one issue I have had is what bird to get! I want it to be the right fit for me and I don’t want to make a mistake and regret it later.

I have looked at everything from Cockatiels, Senegal’s, mustache parrot, Hahns Macaw and green cheeck conures.

What I need in a bird: I can deal with loudness well but the people I live with probably wouldn’t appreciate a sun conure or macaws screech. So it needs to be relatively quiet (obviously parrots are loud and I know that) I would like a bird I can cuddle with and pet. What I Can Commit To: I can commit up to 50 years and have about 2 hours of personal time where all the attention will be on the bird and about 5 hours of out of cage time a day. Where it can perch on my shoulder whilst I do house work or other activities.

I’m planning to harness train the bird and take it on errands with me so it can’t be so small a harness won’t fit on it eg: finch,budgie,love bird etc
I know October is a long time away but I like to know everything there is to know about any pet I’m going do I can give it the best life possible. Any Suggestions ?

Kodigirl210

Welcome to AA!

Have you considered going to a couple of bird rescues? Honestly that would be your best bet. We can tell about all kinds of birds and these days they make harnesses to fit any size bird.

Only a couple birds fall into the multiple criteria you are listing that I can think of: Cockatiels, GCCs, Senegal & Rüppell parrots.

The medium to large parrots are all either too loud or not into cuddling. Any type of cockatoo is loud despite the fact they are very into their hoomans and love to be pampered. African Greys are not cuddlers. If you do get one that is a cuddler then it’s the exception not the rule. They also require complete devotion as do cockatoos. If they feel they aren’t getting enough time or attention they can be destructive to themselves and/or everything around them. A Pionus might work but I don’t have personal experience with them so can’t say how affectionate or not they are. Elecletus are loud. Macaws are loud.

Cockatiels in general tend to be affectionate, quiet and smart. GCCs are also smart, affectionate and on the quiet side though they can let out some piercing cries if they are angry or agitated. Senegal’s pretty much the same as GCCs though they can learn and express words better. Rüppell to me are the most laid back of the Poi’s & are more rare so they stand out. Not loud, very affectionate and pretty.

But my first suggestion stands. Instead of asking, go to a rescue and see the different type of birds. You might find that the decision is made for you once you interact with some of them. Plus you might give a very deserving fid a second chance at a forever home. :heart:

T. gillii

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Link
I'd say... rescue gcc for the win- there are plenty if you look, especially if they're over 2 years old

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'd go with the rescue suggestion too. It's a great way to get to know a few birds before deciding, and you may just find that one special bird who'll make that decision for you.

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
If you do plan on getting a cockatiel, make sure that you or a family member don't have allergies because they have quite a bit of dander that is gonna get everywhere, which can also be bad for other birds' lungs.

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Nobody in our family has allergies so dust isn’t a issue and yes I’m defiantly going to rescue! Sorry I didn’t make that clear but I always try to get a rescue if I can. I’m leaning towards green cheeks at the moment as I have interacted with them a few times (a friend has a sun, and a green cheek) and fallen in love. I love their personality and I can deal with the nippiness.

Edit: Thank you so much you have cleared up my mind and I like the thought of the bird choosing me a lot! It’s so exiting

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
that’s awesome I assumed The material would be to heavy!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
that’s awesome I assumed The material would be to heavy!
Nope, it´s super light :fairy2:
I don´t use a flight suit, but I know others that do.

A single lovebird is an option for you if they can be with you during those 5 out of cage hours. When I only had Sydney he would be with me all the time. He wasn´t noisy when he was alone either. Still isn´t really but the others encourage him. I worked a 9 to 5 when I first brought him home and dedicated some time to him when I got home for flying and playing etc.

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
After seeing you around and all your little love birds I had a bit of a look around the love bird section and they seem super cute! What got you in to lovebirds?

Also how do you do those special emojis?

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
Peach-Fronted Conures are also supposed to be good apartments birds. I would love to get one eventually. A GCC is a great choice as well. Personally I would not normally recommend a rescue to someone unless they have lot of experience with birds. You said you are looking for something cuddly, and many rescues are not very people-friendly, and birds are much more difficult to tame when they're older. However, if you are able to spend time with the bird beforehand and know what you are getting into, it might work out well for you. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It's good that you can express what your expectations are in regards to bird companionship. Have you given thought to what a bird may need from you? Are you able to deal with the messes, medical expenses, no vacations, finding safe toys, quality foods, preparing fresh foods, lighting needs, giving one on one attention to the bird and socialization needs? It's a long list.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Many birds are in a rescue because their owner's circumstances have changed rather than because they were neglected or abused. Many bird owners are unaware that their new pet could live for 20 years or more, and are unable to keep their bird when they move into different rented accommodation, get a new job, get a new partner, have a baby or any of the other things that can make it difficult for a bird to live with them.

A good rescue will know the background of the birds in their care and will be able to match you with a suitable bird.

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
I’m aware rescues aren’t always super cuddly. I don’t need cuddly it would be a bonus but it’s not a necessity. A friend has a sun conure, love bird, and a green cheek conure and we regularly go over there and hang out with the birds. They are all rescues.

My parents are ok with the sun conures scream but they still aren’t as tolerant as me. So that’s why I’m going to go for a slightly quieter species of bird. It probably would be ok to get a louder bird since my mum has had birds In the past and I’m moving out within the next few years so it would probably be totally fine but I’m just over cautious. Lmao

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
A good rescue will know the background of the birds in their care and will be able to match you with a suitable bird.
Good points, but I wasn't sure if the OP knew of a good bird rescue nearby. Many rescue birds may come with health issues as well that someone who is new to birds may not be able to recognize or respond to properly. I just want to make sure Raphi doesn't feel obligated to get a rescue if she doesn't know what she might be getting herself into. If she does feel comfortable with the idea and doesn't rush into a rescue, which is what it sounds like, I totally support it!

Last edited:

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
The friend I was talking about who had the birds recommended this rescue to us but I’ll still be careful. I’m so glad I found this forum! a place where I can spend hours researching about these little feathery companions!

I have been around birds for most of my life but I had never being ready to get one until now! This guy at a bird show was trying to sell me this amazon and saying all sorts of lies like oh there super quiet! And extremely friendly to everybody they meet and he NEVER bites even though his body language was saying put your finger in here and it won’t come back out lol.

It makes me sad just how many of these animals are neglected and how far people will go to make a buck. Whatever bird I end up with is going to Have the best life I can possibly give it.

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
I'm glad you have access to a good bird rescue and a friend who can give you bird advice, and yes you always have us!

If you do end up going with a seller, you should obviously try to find one that's as ethical as possible--not always an easy task unfortunately...Glad to hear that you are able to see through a lot of the B.S. in the pet industry lol.

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Yeah I’m worried about a breeder there’s a lot of people who have birds and really don’t take care of them properly plus the pet stores where I live don’t sell birds so that probably means a lot of breeders who don’t make sure their buyers are educated about a parrots care needs. :eeeek: