• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What are your thoughts on the Parrot Wizard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know dogs more than I know birds. From what I have been reading the same principles apply. So do you want a bird to do things out of fear of the consequences or out of mutual respect and trust. With trust and respect the response may be slower or the answer to your request may be I don’t feel like it today. Training using rewards for the desired behavior and ignoring the unwanted behavior is always the best way to go.
I would much rather build my relationship with Java on trust, patience, and understanding. And even if he never truly accepts me, that's just fine, at least he's out of his situation as a breeder, and in a better environment where he can flourish and finally be himself. :)

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I watched a few of his videos years ago, but gave up because he just made me so mad about every little dang thing.
:madwife:
99% of topics he chooses to discuss he's ignorant about, and he seems to just love having control of his birds, not mutual bonds of respect with them. I remember one video he made about how to convince birds to go into their cages, in which he stated that his birds are NEVER allowed to go into their cages (their home, their safe space) of their own free will. He dictates when they're allowed, and they have to step up for him first. No exceptions.
Not to mention the time he refused to feed any of his three birds because Truman was screaming in the morning. And the fact that he didn't even look into the room to see if he was okay.

Just seems like a real :angry101: to me.

Java's lucky to have a truly wonderful mama who wants the best for him, and would never use force tactics on him. I feel bad for Michael's birds.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I watched a few of his videos years ago, but gave up because he just made me so mad about every little dang thing.
:madwife:
99% of topics he chooses to discuss he's ignorant about, and he seems to just love having control of his birds, not mutual bonds of respect with them. I remember one video he made about how to convince birds to go into their cages, in which he stated that his birds are NEVER allowed to go into their cages (their home, their safe space) of their own free will. He dictates when they're allowed, and they have to step up for him first. No exceptions.
Not to mention the time he refused to feed any of his three birds because Truman was screaming in the morning. And the fact that he didn't even look into the room to see if he was okay.

Just seems like a real :angry101: to me.

Java's lucky to have a truly wonderful mama who wants the best for him, and would never use force tactics on him. I feel bad for Michael's birds.
My sentiments exactly.

And the arrogance wouldn't bother me if he had true knowledge and if the birds trusted him but that is not the case. Dictatorship. Not what we have here in our home - we are the slaves to our fids and dogs. :D

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I was watching a video of his on youtube where he's teaching someone else how to get a bird to step up or go in the carrier? I thought his technique was sloppy and he wasn't doing a good job of teaching the human. I worry about picking up bad/form/techniques that will hinder training over the long haul so haven't watched a video of his since.

What is flooding please and why fling a parrot around in circles. Sounds unnatural to me.
Basically, an animal is exposed to something that frightens it until it stops being frightened by it.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award

This video, imo, clearly demonstrates his lack of understanding regarding parrot behaviour. To anyone with sense, Santina is VERY clearly saying "back off", but oh no no, that's just dancing. This poor woman gets whacked by an upset, displaying macaw while this dingbat scolds and berates her like it's her own fault for not doing exactly as he says...ugh.

And poor Santina is so clearly unsteady on that shoddy perch. She literally FELL and had to grab the woman for balance. So she's got the combined stress of having her cues ignored, and being unable to move around without the fear of falling. My macaw is super chill and sweet-tempered, but if he was in that same situation he would NOT be calm and open to "training".

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel

I remember this... as if birds understand collective punishment. :bash:

Also, that video is infuriating.. "How did you do that?" he asks, as he was standing there and saw the whole thing unfold. I don't know - maybe if you had instructed the woman a little better, been able to read the bird's cues, and had a proper setup rather than a shoddy, wobbly perch, none of that would have happened. But that's okay, you narcissitic bellend, just blame the woman.

Some wizard.

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I remember this... as if birds understand collective punishment. :bash:
That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

And the video up there @ hrafn posted....ugh how frustrating. What does the macaw's wings-out posture mean?

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

And the video up there @ hrafn posted....ugh how frustrating. What does the macaw's wings-out posture mean?
By what I've learnt from Taco, the flared wings, sharp head bob, swaying, open beak and pinned eyes all together are warnings. She's saying "I'm uncomfortable with this situation, and I will bite if provoked".

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a moron! Yeah I'll pass on whatever technique he made up
I couldn't even watch the whole thing. Even I know she isn't "dancing" and I've never met a macaw before.

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
@Brittany0208 If you type in Parrot Wizard, flooding in the Search box at the top of the page it'll pull up any threads/posts about the subject.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
"Demonstration of how to build comfort with a birds"...LOL
That bird wasn't very comfortable. Wobbly perch, woman showing a lot of fear and his incessant lecturing....not a comfortable situation.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Michael Sazhin seems to enjoy being a dictator! Follow his advice at your AND Java's own risk!

ReNap

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chelsey
Well that's a coincidence, I planned on posting this exact thread but got beat to it! haha

I found out about parrot wizard a number of weeks ago and ordered his book and have been reading it. I'm not super far in yet but so far it seems like most of what he writes about is only using positivity to encourage bad behavior away from the bird. Rewarding good behavior, ignoring bad, ect. Nothing so far has sounded cruel or trying to force the bird or break its will or such? If the parrots he trained were unhappy and traded badly, wouldn't they be more aggressive or flighty of him than they seem to be in his videos?

As for the video with Santina-- Yeah I didn't much like that particular video, but a lot of the others I've seen didn't scream awful to me. There are later videos where he shows progress with Santina and she is no longer aggressive, and lets him touch her readily. Does that not say he must be doing something right?

I saw the video where he says he doesn't let the bird go to the cage without him letting it when its time to eat and he says the reason is he wants a connection in the birds head between him and the food to try to build some kind of trust with the bird, like the bird associating him with being provided food is what it seemed like he meant. And with not leaving food in the cage all the time for the bird to eat whenever it wants, there is a video of a vet visit where they say the birds aren't underweight or anything. Is having selective feeding times where the bird can eat whatever it wants and not leaving pellets in all the time bad?

I'm not saying "No you are all wrong to think something hes doing isn't the best and I'm here to argue you wrong" by any means. I'm just honestly curious since I'm started the book and happened to see this new thread, what is it exactly as far as his training is concerned that people are referring to when they say he has a mean way of working biting, aggression ect out of birds? Should I be taking the info from the book with a grain of salt, as it were?

Edit: And if it is a bad idea to follow his techniques, where is a better place to go to find better and effective techniques?

Status
Not open for further replies.