• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What are your thoughts on the Parrot Wizard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been scouring the internet just to see what I can find to enrich Java's life and our relationship, and I ran across the Parrot Wizard. I was thinking about utilizing some of his knowledge, but I wanted to ask everyone else's opinions on the matter in case it would be a waste of time. All I want is to provide Java with every opportunity to be the best he can be at his own pace, and also strengthen our relationship. Teaching him tricks is not important, but helping him build confidence is. So, what do you think?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:omg: Controversal. May have some good ideas but many feel his approach is off. Use caution.
Yeah, I'm just now finding that out from a few google searches. Hmmm, I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle if he has a reputation for being arrogant. I'll keep an open mind, but I will proceed with caution.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
His methods are pretty controversial. I haven't followed his methods diligently because I don't think flooding and withholding food are viable (or kind) methods of training, which border more on "forcing the bird to bend to your will" than forming a bond of mutual respect.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
He (as a topic) comes up on the forum every so often, I watched him a while back but didn't really take to his approach. He's a bit careless (the mix of beak sizes worries me) for my taste but, I can't remember much if I'm honest.
Like you, when I first brought Sam home my big focus was (he's disabled with a broken wing) was building confidence and making him comfortable and I didn't find the Wizard all that useful for that from what I recall. But that's my two cents.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He (as a topic) comes up on the forum every so often, I watched him a while back but didn't really take to his approach. He's a bit careless (the mix of beak sizes worries me) for my taste but, I can't remember much if I'm honest.
Like you, when I first brought Sam home my big focus was (he's disabled with a broken wing) was building confidence and making him comfortable and I didn't find the Wizard all that useful for that from what I recall. But that's my two cents.
The more I'm learning about the Parrot Wizard, the more I'm leaning toward the patient approach and letting Java warm up to me on his own terms. Thus far, in the almost 5 months we've been together, we've made SO much progress by just giving him his space and learning on his terms. I've never had a professional trainer to bond with my animals. I think I'll pass on a trainer/behaviorist. As long as Java is happy, healthy, and safe, he can take as long as he wants to decide if I'm an okay person to hang out with. :)

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
The more I'm learning about the Parrot Wizard, the more I'm leaning toward the patient approach and letting Java warm up to me on his own terms. Thus far, in the almost 5 months we've been together, we've made SO much progress by just giving him his space and learning on his terms. I've never had a professional trainer to bond with my animals. I think I'll pass on a trainer/behaviorist. As long as Java is happy, healthy, and safe, he can take as long as he wants to decide if I'm an okay person to hang out with. :)

That's exactly what I've done with Sam :) the most we've "worked on" was learning that grandma was not evil (it's amazing what treats and patience will do) though, every so often, I play with the idea of trying to trick train but, I think he has me trained pretty well :D

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's exactly what I've done with Sam :) the most we've "worked on" was learning that grandma was not evil (it's amazing what treats and patience will do) though, every so often, I play with the idea of trying to trick train but, I think he has me trained pretty well :D
So true, I've become a slave to Java, and you know what? I don't mind.:p I don't think I would be comfortable with a stranger telling me how I SHOULD approach him. I tried to teach him Step Up, but that wasn't happening, but he will let me scoop him up if he's away from the cage. I'd rather just have a mutual understanding with him instead of 'do this' and 'do that'. :D

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He's is far from being any kind of wizard. Not somebody I'd take advice from.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I liked some of he's videos though I haven't watched a whole lot of them. I don't really watch training videos in general as I'm lucky and don't have any major issues with Echo. I do think he has some good information. The last video I watched of his was about parrot's hearing. It was pretty good. So long as you can watch with an discerning eye some of his videos are worth while

Last edited:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I liked some of he's videos though I haven't watched a whole lot of them. I don't really watch training videos in general as I'm lucky and don't have any major issues with Echo. I do think he has some good information. The last video I watched of his was about parrot's hearing. It was pretty good. So as you can watch with an discerning eye some of his videos are worth while
I started to watch that video but got distracted. I might check it out just for the sake of educating myself. I've also been curious about parrot hearing, so it's something I'll probably look into.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
After seeing someone claim he was the Parrot Whisperer, I trust no one who make such claims. Ken Globus flooded. I did not know what that was at the time. We were really new with Wasabi still, but there was no way on God’s green earth I would a fling Wasabi around in a circle to make him obedient like Globus did with a cockatoo at the show we attended. Wasabi could bite me til the cows come home first. He probably will. :laugh:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I suppose its like being in a Japanese concentration camp with the Parrot Wizard in charge!!!!
Cruel unusal form of torture/submission...

Yeah I want to be "loved" by my parrot for that!!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I have watched a few of his videos quite a while back, I found him irritating and pushy. I cringed at a lot of the interactions I saw him having with his birds and do not remember being able to make myself watch a whole video.
I do remember feeling rather frustrated while watching him and also at times frustrated for the birds but I can not remember what he did that made me feel like that.
Each to ones own I suppose, he may have some good information but I would not know.

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
I know dogs more than I know birds. From what I have been reading the same principles apply. So do you want a bird to do things out of fear of the consequences or out of mutual respect and trust. With trust and respect the response may be slower or the answer to your request may be I don’t feel like it today. Training using rewards for the desired behavior and ignoring the unwanted behavior is always the best way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.