• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What About Foraging Toys?

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
Hi all,
I have read so many bad reviews and negative input about Foraging Toys that I am unsure to even buy one.
Can you guys suggest a toy that works and is somewhat challenging for a Sun Conure?

Many thanks, all,

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
What sort of bad reviews? Luv Bug's favorite is her Caitec foraging wheel, but I fill it with beads instead of food. If I fill it with treats, she just ants them & they end up in the bottom of her cage anyway. :rolleyes: It's a pretty easy toy but I still use it for her because it's still enrichment since she plays with each bead, too. It may last only 15-20 minutes (if that) but that's 15-20 minutes of intense playtime. :D

I know @Mizzely had a great thread on here about foraging toys for one of her quaker boys. I'll see if I can find it. And @iamwhoiam knows a lot about them, too!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Not all birds like puzzles. If your bird doesn't, don't get a puzzle toy! Any toy that you can hide an almond or sunflower seed into has the capacity to be a foraging toy :)

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I suppose it depends on if you're looking for foraging toys that can be destroyed over time or immediately, or ones that are the reusable types.

There are lots of diy foraging toys you can make to see how much of a challenge he likes. :)

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
@Zara my guys don't really forage. Apollo's idea of foraging is to shove his face into juicy fruit and motorboat it:dance5:. Cole will look at his dad and think he is crazy.

I will occasionally put paper I've shredded in a small box and throw mix nuts in there and they will have a blasted throwing it all out and eating their treats. Happy grunting noises the whole time. I spy on them when I am at work. They spend most of their day chewing and tearing apart their toys while I am at work and want to go to bed by the time i get home. Loki sleeps all day so she can harass me when I come home from work. But I come home for lunch to spend time with them, only 8 mins from work.

Last edited:

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
@Zara my guys don't really forage. Apollo's idea of foraging is to shove his face into juicy fruit and motorboat it:dance5:. Cole will look at his dad and think he is crazy.

I will occasionally put paper I've shredded in a small box and throw mix nuts in there and they will have a blasted throwing it all out and eating their treats. Happy grunting noises the whole time. I spy on them when I am at work. They spend most of their day chewing and tearing apart their toys while I am at work and want to go to bed by the time i get home. Loki sleeps all day so she can harass me when I come home from work. But I come home for lunch to spend time with them, only 8 mins from work.
Sheesh! You have three beautiful birds, Brian.
Any chance of seeing pix of these guys?
I was just admiring mine tonight. Farlie looks very much like Chloe in your sig. He'll be 11 months old this month.

They do grunt, don't they? :rofl: Farlie grunts all the time. :rofl:

He likes to sit on my finger right up next to my cheek with one foot up holding on to my beard while I'm doing one handed things. His wing is so warm next to my face as he's sitting there.
This stops his grunting sometimes. :D

I suppose it depends on if you're looking for foraging toys that can be destroyed over time or immediately, or ones that are the reusable types.

There are lots of diy foraging toys you can make to see how much of a challenge he likes. :)
Where would I find these DIY foraging toys?

Last edited:

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
@Farlie thanks. Chloe is now actually cole, i finally decided to dna sex him last year. I only have two now, my sweet Lily passed year. We still miss her. Here is a video of Lily and Apollo with their very young Cole. There are other videos in my you tube channel. Feel free to browse.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
I want to revive this thread up again instead of starting a new thread, OK?

What sort of bad reviews? Luv Bug's favorite is her Caitec foraging wheel, but I fill it with beads instead of food. If I fill it with treats, she just ants them & they end up in the bottom of her cage anyway. :rolleyes: It's a pretty easy toy but I still use it for her because it's still enrichment since she plays with each bead, too. It may last only 15-20 minutes (if that) but that's 15-20 minutes of intense playtime. :D

I know @Mizzely had a great thread on here about foraging toys for one of her quaker boys. I'll see if I can find it. And @iamwhoiam knows a lot about them, too!
Thanks, Karen.

@Peachfaced
Thanks.

I'm now looking for a foraging toy that will last a while for a conure.
What works for you? What do you like and are using?
Suggestions and ideas, please.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Burt loves the Baffle Cage (I have heard these can be dangerous but I am not sure how or why) and he also loves his Can of Nuts toy with food or toy bits in it. He has had these from his first day at home and he plays with both daily and still gets excited to get them back after I remove them to refill them. I would have to honestly say these are his most important toys :)

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Burt loves the Baffle Cage (I have heard these can be dangerous but I am not sure how or why)
I was so excited when we got Buzzard's baffle cage that I hung it in his cage straight out of the box. It ended up coming unscrewed and fell to the floor of his cage whe he was on it. Thankfully he wasn't hurt, only scared, but I never trusted it again. Not sure if ours is defective or it was just a one-time mishap so I tried putting it in his cage again, but this time I quick linked the lid to the body of the toy and another quick link from that one to the chain so it was attached redundantly, but he didn't play with it again.

Since Burt is such a fan of it, I might try that toy again though.

I have the free-standing (rolling?) version of that. Buzzard loves his & bashes it around his cage and it hasn't broken. The threads to screw the halves together are annoyingly tiny and take a while to line up so you don't cross-thread, but it's still a great toy. Not sure what it would be like on the cage mount, but it has to be much quieter!

Last edited:

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Much quieter. :rofl: I guess so.
Not to sure what to put in it. I bought some Nutriberries and Farlie doesn't really care for them. Hmmm.
Anyway, I just bought it so we'll see how it goes...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jingo my Quaker loves the Caitec Foraging Wheel Gen I the most. It is easy to fill and clean so I like it too.