• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Wet budgie belly

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
My budgie, Ella's, belly looks wet. She just finished preening so I don't know if it's spit or oil? I haven't seen her take a bath and I've been in the room with her all morning. There aren't any seeds or anything stuck to her, but I read it could be a sign of throwing up. She's also been sneezig frequently, could it be from that? I'm so worried.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Can you post pics? It sounds serious.
Is she wet around her nostrils,cheeks, or around her vent?
Do you weigh her regularly, any changes?

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Can you post pics? It sounds serious.
Is she wet around her nostrils,cheeks, or around her vent?
Do you weigh her regularly, any changes?
It doesn't look like anything else is wet. I've only had her three days. I bought her from Petco, so they are going to take her to the vet free of charge.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I'd definitely get her to the vet asap.
Till then make sure she has food & water like what she is used to having at the store, and keep her warm.

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
I'd definitely get her to the vet asap.
Till then make sure she has food & water like what she is used to having at the store, and keep her warm.
Im going to bring her to Petco today. Hopefully they also take her to the vet today.

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Update: her belly isn't actually wet. Whatever was there dried and crusted.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Is she acting normally? Could it be spilled food or water? How much is she sneezing? I hope she will be okay!

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Is she acting normally? Could it be spilled food or water? How much is she sneezing? I hope she will be okay!
She hasn't sneezed in a while but earlier is was like 5 times in 20 minutes. And I guess it could but I haven't seen her go near her water.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Dobby will dunk his chest in his water bowls when he feels the need and he doesn't always do it while we're watching so it's possible she did similar or got into something sticky in her cage.
If you really think she might be sick let Petco get her checked out but tell em you want her back as long as she'll be ok eventually as if she is they may just give you another bird.
Good luck and we all hope she's fine and just a messy bird.

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Dobby will dunk his chest in his water bowls when he feels the need and he doesn't always do it while we're watching so it's possible she did similar or got into something sticky in her cage.
If you really think she might be sick let Petco get her checked out but tell em you want her back as long as she'll be ok eventually as if she is they may just give you another bird.
Good luck and we all hope she's fine and just a messy bird.
Thank you for the advice

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope all is well with your bird. Maybe she just took a bath and then went over to the food dish and got stuff stuck on her.
What does the "stuff" look like? Does it look like dried blood?

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Hope all is well with your bird. Maybe she just took a bath and then went over to the food dish and got stuff stuck on her.
What does the "stuff" look like? Does it look like dried blood?
We're on our way to Petco now where I will make sure they are very aware I want Ella back. And whatever it is, it's clear. I thought it was water but it dried and her feathers still look wet

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Let us know what happens.

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
The manager at Petco gave her a look over and said she 100% didn't look sick. If I had left her to be taken to a vet, I wasn't getting her back so I brought her home.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
She could sneeze from preening or drinking water, so hopefully she's okay. A well vet visit is always a good idea with a new bird, so you might want to make an appointment soon anyway.

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
She could sneeze from preening or drinking water, so hopefully she's okay. A well vet visit is always a good idea with a new bird, so you might want to make an appointment soon anyway.
She hasn't sneezed since this morning when she was preening and whatever was on her stomach dried up completely so. I intend to take her to the vet as soon as I get paid next week.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Moisten a cotton ball with some warm water and see if you can wipe off the "stuff" on her stomach. However if you think she is going to stress out then don't do that or try and if it is stressful then stop.

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Just so y'all know, I was also informed that if I did leave her there to be seen by the vet and she was sick, she would most likely be euthanized.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Yeah, that's the part I didn't want to say so glad you told them you wanted her back and took her home. It's not her fault she may have got a rough start and it sounds like your a good mom and will take care of her well and love her, and she'll eventually return it to you :highfive: