• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Wet budgie belly

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just so y'all know, I was also informed that if I did leave her there to be seen by the vet and she was sick, she would most likely be euthanized.
That's very sad to read. My local Petcos & Petsmarts bring sick birds and small animals to the vet, generally the one I go to, and they are treated. Euthanization is a last resort if the animal is not treatable and the quality of life would be poor.

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Yeah, that's the part I didn't want to say so glad you told them you wanted her back and took her home. It's not her fault she may have got a rough start and it sounds like your a good mom and will take care of her well and love her, and she'll eventually return it to you :highfive:
Thank you so much I just couldn't bear to lose my baby

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
That's very sad to read. My local Petcos & Petsmarts bring sick birds and small animals to the vet, generally the one I go to, and they are treated. Euthanization is a last resort if the animal is not treatable and the quality of life would be poor.
They said it was so she wouldn't infect other birds, a problem that would be solved if they'd treated instead

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They said it was so she wouldn't infect other birds, a problem that would be solved if they'd treated instead
Too bad they don't do that. Take her to vet, treat if necessary and return her to you.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's what they told me they'd do initially when I called on the phone and then said otherwise when I came in
Did you talk to the manager?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just so y'all know, I was also informed that if I did leave her there to be seen by the vet and she was sick, she would most likely be euthanized.
Horse $#-+!! Never go there again,, glad you got her home..

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
For anyone still following this I just wanted you guys to know Ella has been doing great. She's active and chirpy and eating wonderfully. She's showing no signs of illness. I'm still a bit traumatized by how close I came to losing her, but she really does seem okay.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Glad she is doing well...That's why they say to always look for an active bird...till we know how well birds hide illness..

Why do they bother even sending her to a vet if they won't treat her but put her down.
Why would you want to use that stupid sort of system?

I understand you bought a $30 bird & they are not wanting to spend hundreds of $;s on vet bills...
I guess its good they will send the bird to get checked out but whatsthe sense of it if they won;t treat it>?

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Why do they bother even sending her to a vet if they won't treat her but put her down.
Why would you want to use that stupid sort of system?

I understand you bought a $30 bird & they are not wanting to spend hundreds of $;s on vet bills...
I guess its good they will send the bird to get checked out but whatsthe sense of it if they won;t treat it>?
I didn't I brought her home. I would spend as much money as it took if she were sick, but nowhere on the original agreement did they mention they'd put her down or that they'd be taking her away from me. I was only trying to take advantage of their guarantee.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Like I said its a worthless only good for the paper its written on "guarantee"

Good thing you checked into the invisible fine print!

To be fair even the best breeders give you 72 hrs to have the bird vet checked & they will usually only replace the bird/refund not pay for any vet care.

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Like I said its a worthless only good for the paper its written on "guarantee"

Good thing you checked into the invisible fine print!

To be fair even the best breeders give you 72 hrs to have the bird vet checked & they will usually only replace the bird/refund not pay for any vet care.
Yeah I'm just glad I got her back. I'm getting her to the vet next week.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that she is doing well. Does she still have "stuff" on her chest/abdomen?

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Great that she is doing well. Does she still have "stuff" on her chest/abdomen?
No whatever it was dried up. What I think happened is that I noticed when I got home she had a pellet in her water. So maybe she took a bath and because of the pellet it dried crusty?