• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well the cast is off

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
What a cutie! Sorry to hear about her toe but her cage alterations look great!

Lovebirdlover

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
... well, the toe is off now! :omg:

We went to the vet today and got her checkup and a new x-ray, and unfortunately, the cast was not able to hold the 2 joints together and it healed with the 2 bones side by side one another, so that explains the lack of mobility in that leg and why she can't move her leg properly. The vet froze the dead toe and cut the remainder off so she's a bit stubby now too. Vet says she will never be 100% in that leg but the goal is for her to put weight on it and use it as a balance.

When I got home I had to make the hard decision to clip her wings. I've been going back and forth on the idea for a while now and it was either 1) Keep her flighted but in the cage forever and never allow her to come out, because if she gets out and panic flies like she always does she will hurt it again, and it won't be as simple as a cast next time or 2) clip her wings and allow her to come out and live a life like she normally does, just not able to fly. I'm making her a playstand for on top of her cage so shes got a place to hang out.

I feel awful about it, but I'd feel worse with her in a cage for the next 20+ years too!

Ugh its been a day :arghh:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Maybe while she's clipped, you can work with her so that she becomes a better flyer? I know it's not easy, but if she can learn to make better split decisions during flight, she will have fewer accidents... or at least I hope.

Lovebirdlover

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
@Peachfaced I would love to do that, but I just don’t know how. She’s so unpredictable, one second she’s fine then the next a shadow spooks her and she flies straight into the wall, even tho she’s showed me time and time again that she can fly loop de loops around the house and through cracks in doors.

I just never know if she’s going to look where she’s going or find a wall :/

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
@Peachfaced I would love to do that, but I just don’t know how. She’s so unpredictable, one second she’s fine then the next a shadow spooks her and she flies straight into the wall, even tho she’s showed me time and time again that she can fly loop de loops around the house and through cracks in doors.

I just never know if she’s going to look where she’s going or find a wall :/
Rupert used to be just like that. He still gets spooked by things; sometimes it's a floofy and sometimes I don't see a single thing out of place in the room. BUT he now does a big lap around the room and lands on his cage top 90% of the time instead of crashing. I would start by simple targetting (where she walks from one spot to another) and then graduate to a gentle toss on to the bed or a gentle toss to another person, where your helper has a soft perch waiting for her. Gradually increase the distance between you two. If she knows where to go for safety (like the cage top), she will instinctively go there.