• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well the cast is off

Lovebirdlover

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
Poor Ice. I felt more safe with her cast on, now she is so delicate. Vet says if she dislocates it again theres not much that we can do :(

Vet says to keep her in her hospital cage until she gains more strength into that foot. So far its sticking out to the left and she can't get it underneath her. She has picked all the dead skin off and her leg is very raw at the moment but its healed up even within 24 hours so I'm watching it to make sure it stays clean. Twice a day I have to very slowly move/stretch her joints to rebuild muscle and to make sure it doesn't freeze in that awful position.

Also, when my husband brought her home yesterday I immediately noticed that one of her toes is black, and I'm afraid its dead :( I don't know how the vet missed it, but it cannot bend and she doesn't respond to touching it. Im going to call tomorrow and inquire about it. Im a bit annoyed because its almost a 2 hour drive to the vet and she should have seen it!:angry:. The cast must have been too tight. IMG_7486.jpg IMG_7487.jpg IMG_7489.jpg

Heres to hoping we can regain some strength! I know it will never be the same, but id love for her to have some more freedom besides a box. Her and I are both tired of it!

If you can think of anything else i could do to help her, it is greatly appreciated. :hug4:

Heres some photos of the leg/ toe

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Poor Ice! I'm so very sorry the vet didn't know the cast was too tight. Such a shame. Sending blessings your way for a speedy recovery.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor Ice. Vet should have seen the black toe and let you know about that. It's good that you are calling tomorrow. Could you also consult with a different vet regarding the leg/foot? It's good that you will be gently exercising that foot/leg. Would think that the cast would have been placed in such a way so that the foot shouldn't be sticking out as described but then I'm not a vet.

Lovebirdlover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
This vet is the best avian vet in my area... which is already 2 hours away. I trust her completely. Ice was awake and wiggling when they put on the cast and that leg also has her breeder band on it so that could have caused it too. Ill update what the vet says

Lovebirdlover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
How's Ice doing today? Does her toe look any better?
No unfortunately it looks like her toe has died completely. Its stiff and the joints do not bend.

You can tell she enjoys the "exercises", she falls asleep in my hand and when she's back in her box you can tell the leg has more mobility and she has begun to open and close her claws. The leg is still out to the side but I'm glad she has begun to move it on her own.

EDIT*** called the vet, she said it is common and the toe should just fall off on its own :0 just to watch for any noticeable infection and to keep it clean!

Last edited:

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
No unfortunately it looks like her toe has died completely. Its stiff and the joints do not bend.

You can tell she enjoys the "exercises", she falls asleep in my hand and when she's back in her box you can tell the leg has more mobility and she has begun to open and close her claws. The leg is still out to the side but I'm glad she has begun to move it on her own.

EDIT*** called the vet, she said it is common and the toe should just fall off on its own :0 just to watch for any noticeable infection and to keep it clean!
So glad she's moving it more now. You are an excellent mommy!!!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Awww baby bird. Hoping you heal quickly. :bighug:

Lovebirdlover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
She's stubborn today, no liking me touch her leg at all :(

But she's back to her normal vocalizations, i haven't heard them in almost 5 weeks so I'm glad to hear those, no matter how loud they are :hug8:
We're getting happier one day at a time!
Her leg is no longer raw either, and pin feathers have begun growing!

Lovebirdlover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
Ice got a cage upgrade today! She is so happy being out of that storage container! She’s been doing laps in there she’s so happy!

Her little cage level is a rope net that I made, with a yoga mat on top for the floor and then some newspapers on top. I will be monitoring her to see what she does with the yoga mat and if she chews it I’ll have to find something else flexible to put in there.
4BFB22AA-BFB4-4212-B078-0C8521774C8C.jpeg BBE6D91E-BD00-42B2-BF0A-60AB95FB71A0.jpeg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that she is healing. How long will she need to be in the smaller cage?

Lovebirdlover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
Not sure, vet just recommended that she stay in the plastic tote for a few days to learn balancing and then we can move her into a cage with lowered perches. Problem with ice tho is that she would climb to the top and cling to the highest bars so we had to modify it to bring her to the top.

Im probably going to leave her in this modified cage for a month before I even think of lowering it. She still is having problems perching using her other leg, I'm just hoping giving her more room to move will encourage her to try to use her other leg.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You've done the right thing with the modification. Hopefully she be moving around more and then have the opportunity to exercise those legs more. Did the toe fall off yet?

Lovebirdlover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
Nope, its still hanging on there! Sooo not looking forward to finding her toe when it falls off :omg:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nope, its still hanging on there! Sooo not looking forward to finding her toe when it falls off :omg:
Never found the tip of Lucy's toe when it fell off but then I didn't go looking for it. I probably tossed it out with the cage paper.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Ice got a cage upgrade today! She is so happy being out of that storage container! She’s been doing laps in there she’s so happy!

Her little cage level is a rope net that I made, with a yoga mat on top for the floor and then some newspapers on top. I will be monitoring her to see what she does with the yoga mat and if she chews it I’ll have to find something else flexible to put in there.
View attachment 306675 View attachment 306676
When I made my false cage bottom for Rupert, I used a large cardboard box and punched holes in the corners so I could tie it up with poly rope. I reinforced the cardboard by installing perches underneath it to help disperse the weight and keep it straight. Then I put a towel across the cardboard and kept paper towels on top so I could clean it out easier.

I hope Ice has a quick recovery. I know this is distressing to see your baby go through so much.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Very clever cage alteration to help with Ice's desire to use the top of the cage. She looks good on the rope toy :)

Poor little birb. I hope she gets her strength back soon. I am very pleased that she is feeling safer and started singing again. This is very good news.

Lovebirdlover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
Thanks all! She hasn’t seemed to notice the false bottom yet. All she cares about is climbing and having her freedom. I’m not complaining, the more climbing she does, the more strength she builds! CA5CCDF2-1EE6-4770-8736-098EB44D696E.jpeg
She’s putting weight on it! You can really see that dead toe and how shrivelled it is.

C389D75B-6DC4-4DF5-BBAF-69C205B59020.jpeg
Preening upside down?! Lol