• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Warning Cross Post Regarding Zupreem, Lafaeber, and Higgins

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
This is posted by Birds and Beaks Rescue and Rehab on FB

This will likely be the most heartbreaking post I ever write.

On the evening of January 1, 2018, we lost 11 birds. Most of the birds passed within about 30 minutes of each other, with the last one, a nanday conure not passing until around 4am.

We originally thought maybe carbon monoxide or something in the air, and began evacuation to the garage and called 911. The fire department tested both for carbon monoxide and noxious gases and our results were zero's across the board.

The next logical thought was food/water. We pulled all the food and water and put them on the counter.

The next morning, we took those birds to our veterinarian and had necropsies done for them. The initial things our doctor found were hearts were good, lungs were good, all seem to be in good health, except their stomachs were inflamed, there was a green sludge in their GI tracts and their livers were rock hard.

Gross necropsies were submitted by our vet for 2 birds to determine official cause of death with food toxicity being the suspicion.

There are another 3 birds that we are unsure if they will make it or not.

Today, January 3, 2018, I took the in-bowl samples of food to Michigan State University.

Before we go further, I want to make it clear I am not pointing fingers. There were 3 foods included in our mix, and thankfully we are fastidious - we have the packages that food came in so that batches can be pulled and we have contacted the companies. The foods are:

Zupreem Fruitblend, large size for macaws, cockatoos etc.
Higgins Vitaseed
Lefeber's Nutriberries

MSU is in receipt of 2lbs of the food that was in the bowls and we should have results back for WHAT the toxin is within 5-7 days.

We spoke with another Michigan Rescue to tell them what's going on, and they also experienced a die off in the last week of 3 birds. The foods they were feeding are Zupreem Fruit Flavored Blend and Higgins Vitaseed.

Our hearts are broken. In a million pieces. We are not ok. We will probably never be ok again.

I am happy to answer questions. What I don't want is mass hysteria. We are awaiting results back from the lab and necropsies - and all we can do is wait. What I'm concerned with is that birds are dying and unlike us - you guys usually have one or two birds. If something happens, you're thinking it's your fault. That you've done something wrong. You don't question the food because you trust it.

You need to have necropsies done. You need to save your food, your bags, and you need to get it tested.

We don't know which food it was at this point, and we're not pointing fingers. What I can tell you is that the companies are being very cooperative, helpful and working WITH us.

My personal opinion is that for now, if you are feeding any of those brands, please stop and feed fresh/frozen foods only until we have the results back for why this happened.

Please keep us in your thoughts. Our hearts are broken. We lost 11 family members. Watching my children try to give CPR to the birds we all love and care for in vain may be the worst thing I have ever witnessed, only second to walking into my aviary and seeing all but 3 of my birds in there gone.

Charlie
Max
Guido
Zook
Oliver
Rosie
Eddie
Cheech (M2, boarder)
Cheech (YN Amazon)
Chong
Pebbles

My loves. Rest in Heaven my angels.

My request to you - ask your questions here. Don't flood my inbox. When I have answers, you shall have answers. I'm an open book. I'll answer anything here in this thread. We are a by-the-book rescue. We don't cut corners. So ask away.

If you're negative - I just don't have any energy for you. I really don't. Be supportive or be gone.

Information about the food batches:
Zupreem, Large for macaws/cockatoos etc:
10287 865309107 Use By: 3/31/19
Zupreem, Large for macaws/cockatoos etc:
09137 862908047 Use by: 2/28/19
Higgin's Vita Seed Parrot Use By: 4/5/19
Lefeber's Tropical Fruit Nutriberries: Use By Batch: 122218B

Symptoms:

As digestion happens, about 4 hours in, the birds become wobbly, disoriented, weak, unable to stand up and still. Droopy wings. Vomiting a copper reddish substance, seizures begin and then death. The 3 remaining birds are still very wobbly and weak.

We have 17 birds still living, including the 3 that we could still lose. Of the 17, a few had last batch food, a few don't eat this food at all (lorikeet, hyacinth), and my picky eaters are still with us.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Wow. I am speechless.
Thank you for posting this.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I just saw this as well. So terrible :(

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
:sad7: How horribly sad. :cry3: Awul way to start a new year. I hope the remaining 3 pull through. I can't imagine losing 11 fids. :sorrow: :sorrow: :sorrow:

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Danita, I opened the 3 lb lafebers tropical fruit nutriberries from the listed batch date on New Years. Little Scooter gets one every morning. He was gagging when I got home...he has liver and digestive issues. I’m watching him carefully. Unfortunately when I got home I gave him another nutriberry. Bag is now put away and I opened a )an 2019 bag. I’ll call lafebers tomorrow. He ate his nutriberry but nothing else so far.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Those poor birds and people who loved and cared for them. So incredibly sad. I hope no other birds die from this.:sorrow:

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Now I'm frightened. Cheeky gets tiel size zupreem fruit. She's been on a new bag for several days and is alright now. Does that mean hers is safe since they said about four hours after eating they got sick? She doesn't eat nearly enough veges to sustain her.

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Now I'm frightened. Cheeky gets tiel size zupreem fruit. She's been on a new bag for several days and is alright now. Does that mean hers is safe since they said about four hours after eating they got sick? She doesn't eat nearly enough veges to sustain her.
Bella my tiel has been eating the Zupreem fruit pellets also. She has had no ill effects either. She does not eat the Higgins or Nutriberries. But I tend to buy my food in bulk and so these were not new bags.

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
How tragic. I am so sorry for her family. I hope the other birds recover.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I can't answer that, but could you get a small bag of pellets similar in looks to what she is eating for now, of a different brand? I'd rather be safe than sorry.

NK_717

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Oh no! :(
The flock here eats cockatiel size zupreem (bulk, not bagged) but I haven't noticed anything wrong.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Danita, I opened the 3 lb lafebers tropical fruit nutriberries from the listed batch date on New Years. Little Scooter gets one every morning. He was gagging when I got home...he has liver and digestive issues. I’m watching him carefully. Unfortunately when I got home I gave him another nutriberry. Bag is now put away and I opened a )an 2019 bag. I’ll call lafebers tomorrow. He ate his nutriberry but nothing else so far.
I'm sorry to hear that Saroj. Hopefully this gets sorted very quickly.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

I'm sorry to hear that Saroj. Hopefully this gets sorted very quickly.
He’s acting normal so I’m not worried. Hopefully in the morning I don’t find piles of overnight throw up. Thanks for the kind words.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Another rescue had a similar experience but they did not feed nutriberries....

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
dang it scares me to death. I always save the bags in get food in to check them when I see something like this.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Lefeber's Tropical Fruit Nutriberries: Use By Batch: 122218B
I have Tropical fruit nutriberries where do I find the batch number?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I have Tropical fruit nutriberries where do I find the batch number?
It’s the best by date at the bottom front or back of the bag. The expiration date.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
the date is 09-30- 18 L

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
You guys will all use your best judgement of what you will do with the food you have now.
I sure hope they get the lab results back fast so people will know which food to avoid or even if it was the food.
A PR nightmare for those companies for sure.