• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Warning Cross Post Regarding Zupreem, Lafaeber, and Higgins

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Danita, I opened the 3 lb lafebers tropical fruit nutriberries from the listed batch date on New Years. Little Scooter gets one every morning. He was gagging when I got home...he has liver and digestive issues. I’m watching him carefully. Unfortunately when I got home I gave him another nutriberry. Bag is now put away and I opened a )an 2019 bag. I’ll call lafebers tomorrow. He ate his nutriberry but nothing else so far.
You need to report this.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Oh wow, this is very sad and horrible news :( I know a lot of our members here feed these brands.
MSU was feeding the Zupreem and the Higgins and had toxicity issues, but I don't see Lafeber being mentioned there. Better safe than sorry, IMO but I'll be following to see the results. I don't know that I would necessarily throw out the tropical nutriberries, but I would hold off on feeding them for sure until we have clear results.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Which rescue? So sad :(
She didn’t say but mentioned she talked to another rescue that had a “die off” but I think the number was three

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Someone (not a member here) told me that they tested the zupreem and it turned out negative. They didn't give sources so I'm not sure. The red/pink vomit reminds me of zupreem fruit poop... Dexter hasn't had any issues with his, though.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Someone (not a member here) told me that they tested the zupreem and it turned out negative. They didn't give sources so I'm not sure. The red/pink vomit reminds me of zupreem fruit poop... Dexter hasn't had any issues with his, though.

That Zupreem did, or MSU? Because Zupreem has not retested their batch, nor have they tested the sample from the rescue. They are maintaining the position that their food is safe without any additional testing. Both Higgins and Lafeber DID retest their batch and are both awaiting results from MSU.

Smbrds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Shawn
Those poor birds. Very sad loss. Is this a recall of some sort? So many people feed those brands and foods.