• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Waldo is home ❤️

IttyBittyBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
Thank you!!! :)

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
I live on Maui, so I have to use Amazon.com a lot. You really have to read the descriptions, but there are a few vendors that i really like on amazon. I will look them up and let you know. I have a red-belled parrot, very similar to a Senegal and they are both poi's.

Revali

Walking the driveway
Thank you all so much! I am TOTALLY OBSESSED with him! :xflove: He is so sweet and we even had a super long snuggle session before bed time last night! He has been eating well, but hates being in his cage, so we are working on that. He is such a lover and I am soooo happy to have him. It was a long 15 years without a parrots in my life!! :heart:
That is great, It's very nice your off to a good start! Good of you to help a bird in need.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Thank you all so much! I am TOTALLY OBSESSED with him! :xflove: He is so sweet and we even had a super long snuggle session before bed time last night! He has been eating well, but hates being in his cage, so we are working on that. He is such a lover and I am soooo happy to have him. It was a long 15 years without a parrots in my life!! :heart:
Keoki hated his cage... we even bought him a different cage because it was so bad, and I was stressing out big time because I would worry about him while I was at work. On the weekends, when i was home, he could never settle on or in his cage. Now its a lot better. He loves his new cage and we sold the other one. You have to read about my cage nightmare in the Keoki update thread (its kinda crazy). Anyway, he got so used to not sleeping in his cage that now he sleeps on his bungee in my bedroom. He is totally free and content. I am no not stressed - and thats a good thing. :)

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
I am so happy things are going so well with him. Senegals are awesome birds. I just love my red-bellied. My husband is totally in love with him too. 15 years that's a long time. We went 2 years, I just couldnt take it anymore, and I found a breeder on Ohau. He was a sucky breeder (found out later), but I didn't even think twice about purchasing him. We had a parrotlet before we moved here, but we could not bring her to Maui. They have very strict rules here when it comes to birds. She was on the no list. I was heartbroken. I cried for two years, every time I saw her picture or would think about her. She got a wonderful home, but she was mine. I still miss her, but Keoki has filled that hole that was in my heart.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

IttyBittyBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
I am so happy things are going so well with him. Senegals are awesome birds. I just love my red-bellied. My husband is totally in love with him too. 15 years that's a long time. We went 2 years, I just couldnt take it anymore, and I found a breeder on Ohau. He was a sucky breeder (found out later), but I didn't even think twice about purchasing him. We had a parrotlet before we moved here, but we could not bring her to Maui. They have very strict rules here when it comes to birds. She was on the no list. I was heartbroken. I cried for two years, every time I saw her picture or would think about her. She got a wonderful home, but she was mine. I still miss her, but Keoki has filled that hole that was in my heart.
I know how you feel! I was like that with my Sun Conure who I got at 10. Couldn’t take him with me to college and once I left he started attacking everyone including my dad’s Amazon’s. They finally had to remove him to a friend for his own saftey. It was heartbreaking. Once I was out of the dorms, they offered him back to me, but being unsure of where I would end up and seeing how much he had fallen in lobe with their friend’s mom, I just couldn’t do it to him. I still get teary when I see Suns and it honestly stopped me from getting another bird until now. I been periodically visited bird stores, but never felt a connection until now. I love Waldo sooooo much. I will always miss my sun, but Waldo has filled such a void... So glad I am not totally insane, no one else ever understood! Thanks for sharing :heart:

IttyBittyBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
Does he have a swing? Pois generally like to swing.
Foraging toys: Hide N Seek Amazon.com : Creative Foraging Systems Hide & Seek Refillable Canister, 4-Inch W by 6-Inch L : Pet Toys : Pet Supplies My red-bellied parrots like this one. Comes with lots of goodies inside and after those are removed you can add anything you want.
Thanks for the recommendation! I think my local petsmart had that one! I will go check today! I have been looking locally for a Boing with no luck, so will place an order for one today. I was going to order from Olivers Garden, so maybe I will get a swing too! I LOVE the look of the orbits as well.....trying to convince hubby to hang one from the ceiling over his play top is slow going though....maybe I will just have to do it myself and beg for forgiveness :laugh:

IttyBittyBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
Thanks!! He is doing really well. He would like nothing more than to live on my shoulder 24/7 though. I am trying to teach him his cage is ok. He goes in fine, but contact calls every time I leave his sight for about 20-30 mins. When I have to go I put him in with a yummy treat so hoping that helps. I also have ordered a ton of more appropriate toys. The ones his old owner gave me are way too big and hard for him to really enjoy, so I ordered a lot of balsa and cork toys as well as more foraging toys to help keep him busy when he has to be caged. I have also been trying to reward him by taking him out or dropping treats in for him when he is quiet. Hoping once he feels more secure he won’t feel the need to scream as much. Poor guy ❤

I can’t help but wonder if he misses his bird friends. I know Senegal’s are known for being aggressive to other species, but I saw him snuggled into the parrotlets’ (a pair she was keeping) cage with them at his old home and he was pretty well bonded to a ringneck she was trying to rehome as well. I know she also had an Amazon she was rejoining, but don’t believe they were ever out together. If I thought I was ready for two, I would have taken the ringneck home too, she was sooooo sweet. Could he be lonely?? I would love a second bird someday, but really wanted to bond with him and enjoy him before thinking about another. I do wonder though if he misses his flock?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Yes he will miss his old routines. No question.

I wouldn't get another bird for him however. The reality is that not all birds will end up getting along. You should only get a second bird for you. If there are problems with the birds together you will need time in your day to give both the time out to play and the time with you they need.

If you have time and want a second bird then adopting one of his old friends could be really awesome. Just keep in mind they may not be friends forever. Just being in your home can change the dynamic.

If I were in your shoes and had time for a second bird. I would love to bring the cute IRN home. She sounds sweet and lovely! Just keep in mind that if she does like hanging out with Waldo, that is simply icing on the cake. At the end of the day you need to have the time for both birds.

Sorry if that whole post was redundant as hell. :)

IttyBittyBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
Yes he will miss his old routines. No question.

I wouldn't get another bird for him however. The reality is that not all birds will end up getting along. You should only get a second bird for you. If there are problems with the birds together you will need time in your day to give both the time out to play and the time with you they need.

If you have time and want a second bird then adopting one of his old friends could be really awesome. Just keep in mind they may not be friends forever. Just being in your home can change the dynamic.

If I were in your shoes and had time for a second bird. I would love to bring the cute IRN home. She sounds sweet and lovely! Just keep in mind that if she does like hanging out with Waldo, that is simply icing on the cake. At the end of the day you need to have the time for both birds.

Sorry if that whole post was redundant as HE double hockey sticks. :)
Thanks, I needed to hear that! I do want another bird for me, but not right now. I was sooooo tempted to bring her home, but two at once is just a bit more than I think I can handle. I really want to work on bonding and training for a while and get him into a routine before adding another. Also, while I think ringnecks are so cool, his ringneck screech imitation is enough for me (and deff my husband) LOL!

Someday I would love to get another Poi, most likely a Meyers, but I don’t want to rush into anything.

IttyBittyBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
Just wanted to update again! Waldo is amazing! :loveshower:

He is really starting to come out of his shell and become more playful and venture off my shoulder a bit! He is slowly warming up to my son a bit and even stayed on his shoulder long enough to eat a treat before flying back to me yesterday! He loves showering with me on his suction cup perch, and LOVES his Harrisons pellets (so glad it was easy to get him on a healthier diet)! Today I got him a stainless steel bell and he has been going NUTS playing with it for over an hour!

Also, much to my surprise he TALKS! He is a shy talker, and mostly talks when I am downstairs and quiet. He did say Hi to me a few times and Peekaboo once, but I have been hearing other things too i think either good bird, or good boy and pretty bird. He loves giving kisses and will make the smooch noise too! I need to try to figure out how to upload videos.

One issue though is he regurges and does the mating dance a lot. I keep putting him back on his play stand or cage play top when he does, but when should I expect this behavior to slow down? Also he is SUPER demanding about head straches, and will bite (not hard though) if I stop. Hoping that doesn’t escalate much and we can curb it a bit, but for now if he isn’t putting an uncomfortable amount of pressure, I am allowing it. Is that ok in your opinions?

54866066-7A44-45EE-88CB-E7886DD1A77F.jpeg

IttyBittyBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
Oh @fashionfobie I actually did ask about the Ringneck but she had already sold her to a breeder in NY. For now I will wait as I really want to try to teach Waldo some things like hopefully to wear a harness, and we are on out way to a few tricks (dancing on command and peekaboo). BUT, at some point in the future I would love a second bird for me, and hopefully they will at least tolerate each other! LOL