• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Very worried after vet appointment Bleeding from nostrils

Status
Not open for further replies.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
He is sure a cutie pie. Continued prayers for his complete recovery.

Ginger

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great reading this morning's update and that you have a plan to watch him today....thanks so much for caring, this has been so stressful on you.:hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Hey Max you sure are cute! :heart: Lots of Roadies were praying for you last night. :hug8: Keep on resting so you get better. :)

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
:dance4: Yeah Max... keep up the good work baby! What a sweetie!!!!! :heart:

Ariahna

Sprinting down the street
Another small update on Max. I put a shallow container of warm water in his cage and he jumped right in and took a good bath. He is now sitting on his circle rope swing playing with the toys attached to it. I put fresh parchment paper on the bottom of his cage as I will be leaving soon to head into work for a few hours. I think he is well on the way to recovering from this ordeal but it will be a while before I truly relax.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
OMG, I am going to have to get to the hair salon to get highlights to blend in the grey hair. I am SO SO SO SO SO happy to hear that he's perking up.

Ginger

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:dance4: so glad he is doing better...he is beautiful

lzver

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Laura
So glad to hear that Max is doing better this morning! He's is too adorable for words :heart:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I forgot to add.. Thank you Gary and thank you Universe.

Ginger

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
So sorry to hear about your horrific ordeal with the vet and poor Max not feeling good afterwards.

I am so glad that you had folks here that could help you out, we never think that when we take our fids to the vet that they will be the reason for problems that weren't there when we took them in, in the beginning.

I just have to tell you what a cutie pie Max is!

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I take blood from animals everyday at my clinic. I can tell you that if your vet "missed" the vein, no bleeding would occur. The only time the bleeding occurs is if the jugular vein is actually hit. In which case, someone should have "held off" or put pressure on that site. If they didnt, he would bleed a little, but then he would form what we call a Cherry which is very painful and is basically when the needle whole clots up, but the vein keeps bleeding under the skin. You get a huge bruise in that area, as well as a little lump, once again very painful. If this happens, you need to apply a snug bandage to the area, or in the case of the jugular vein being affected you need to put warm pressure (warmed wash cloth) for a few minutes every half hour to help resolve it.

John, I have drawn avian blood on many occassions for testing, and while the blood from the nail would be enough for a slide review, or dna test, and a few other tests, the labs test machines and the tubes we store the blood in (to use the centrifuge or ad anit coagulants, etc) generally require anywhere from 1/2 ml to sometimes as much as three mls. It would take forever to fill the tubes from a bleeding quick on a struggling animal, putting the entire sample at risk of hemolizing or clotting in the collection tube.

I hope your baby is okay though! My guess is its actually the nail stopping and starting bleeding due to movement and increase in heart rate, etc or maybe a blood feather was broken in the struggle.

PS - I didnt realize all was well by the time I posted, but its great info for the future if anyone is curious!

Last edited:

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Oh and another thing to consider from the vets perspective is that the Jugular vein is the safest and most commonly used area to draw blood from for all animals that will tolerate it. It flows the fastest there so the sample is quick and plentiful and usually requires less attempts than a leg would. Also, because the blood flows faster there, the entry point closes and clots and heals quicker.

Ariahna

Thank you Kim, for the feedback. I think Dr. Skinner is probably right that he somehow suffered some sinus injury during all the handling, with his stress level and raised blood pressure, that is why the blood was coming from the nose. Since Dr. Smith saw blood in the throat, he was probably swallowing some of it which is why the poops looked like they did. I'm just praying that whatever injury he did suffer to the sinuses is something that resolves.

He was still bleeding from the nose a little late last night, but so far today I have not found any blood. He is still sneezing, yet I'm not seeing anything coming from his nostrils which is really good. My big concerns right now are that whatever was causing the bleeding gets time to heal, and that he doesn't develop some respiratory or sinus infection from all the blood and sneezing.

I'm going to keep the SE in his water for a few more days to help his digestive track, and keep the Cayenne on his food for another day or two, and I'm keeping dried chili peppers available as well. He will get warm wet food 2-3 times a day over the weekend as I can tell he lost a little weight through this. Kim, there was more blood on the floor, walls, etc. at my house than what the vet got into the vial for his DNA test. I don't know why that seems ironic to me but it does. :(

Ariahna

Again, I can't thank you all enough. I know I did not personally respond to each post, but I've been a little frantic as you can tell. I apologize for that, but I want you all to know how truly grateful both Max and I are to each and every one of you that offered your advice, support, help, prayers, and well wishes. I wouldn't not have made it through the night without you, and I don't think Max would have still been here without all the help I received. Thank you again, all of you, and thank you very much Gary for all your wonderful help and encouragement last night. :heart::hug8::heart::hug8:

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
would be enough for a slide review, or dna test, and a few other tests, the labs test machines and the tubes we store the blood in (to use the centrifuge or ad anit coagulants, etc) generally require anywhere from 1/2 ml to sometimes as much as three mls. It would take forever to fill the tubes from a bleeding quick on a struggling animal, putting the entire

Not a good job of isolating the quote, but all that was requested for Max (as I read it) was a DNA test. If it can be done at home with 1 drop of blood (Max ALREADY HAD a bleeding toenail)...why was so much blood needed at the vets? Why the unnecessary stress? I'm sorry, I just think the whole thing was unnecessary, & that's the last time EVER that that vet would touch my bird. But I would try hard to be civil to her, as she's the closest avian vet & might be needed later for a life threatening emergency, a life-or-death situation where she's the only alternative. Somehow I stole your color!!!

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Ariahna--I'm so glad Max seems to be doing better today. Gosh, it has been a bad week for birds on AA. I can imagine (from past experiences) what you have been through. I really hope everything has finally been resolved, & you & little Max have a peaceful, recuperative, happy & treat-filled (for BOTH of you) weekend.:heart::hug8::heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.