• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

(Update #45) mikkos butt? Worried!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
LOL.....she/he is sexually aroused from you touching :) Did Mikko make any soft sounds when this was occuring?
I agree that this is most likely the issue since you said it went back down after you stopped scritching. Let us know what the vet says. Also, it would probably be a good idea to get her DNA sexed. It does help with diagnosing some things. For example, if she turns out to be a boy and is having some sort of issue, you know it's not egg binding. If she's DNA sexed and you find out she's a girl, you may recognize earlier if she's going to lay an egg and be able to start adding additional calcium. It runs between $25-$50 depending on if you do it or the vet does it. The test goes to the same lab and gets done the same way.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Praying it is nothing serious, extra skirtches for little Mikkos. It does help to know the sex to determine heath concern possibilities and reading their behaviors.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
This is also the kind of thing that happens from "potty training".

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
This is also the kind of thing that happens from "potty training".
Do you have any references? I've seen people post opinions on this on various parrot forums, I was just wondering if there's anything written about it.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Why would "potty training" do this??
If you study the anatomy of a bird, you realize that they are meant to go when they have to. They have to remain lightweight at all times as they are a prey animal and be ready for flight at any given moment. They do not possess lengthy colons to store excrements. I've seen birds having severe medical problems and illnesses, for example prolapse, as a result of being potty trained, holding it, and holding it too long repeatedly over a period of time. Exception: Nesting hens will hold it all day.

The same with encouraging a bird to poop on command - they will try to force one out even if they don't need to. This practice is VERY DANGEROUS as it can cause cloacal prolapse - a horrible thing!! You can encourage them to let you know when they need to go poop and make sure they are in an appropriate place to "let one fly."

I'm not saying this is the cause going on here but it is a possibility and very typical of what can happen to a potty trained bird.

Last edited:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wondering how the vet visit went?:confused:

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Just checking in to see how the vet visit went.

topazldy

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Linda
Wow, makes me a bit nervous..vet visit was last night, and no post vet posting..hope everything is alright!

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
The importance of dna sexing is to help the vet determine what could be going on sight unseen until he can see your bird.
Whether it is something that should be seen ASAP or that it can wait until the afternoon when things slow down at the office.

I agree with John they shouldn't be potty trained, just know that usually within 10 to 15 minutes of eating your bird will need to relieve itself, they weren't created like humans in the waste disposal department.

Can't wait to hear what you find out at the vets.:)

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Praying for a good update.

birdlove1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pam
Coral,

It did look like a prolapse to me also. I am praying hard that your baby will be OK. Please let us know how everything went.

Pam :hug8:

coral

Walking the driveway
Real Name
coral
hey guys! sorry i havnt posted my internet hasnt been working! the vet put mikko on some meds saying it was most likely strain because she had a yeast infection not sure how she got it i forgot to ask when the vet called. she said it wasnt a prolapse or a tumor, she also said to keep an eye on it and continue the meds and call back with any questions or concerns and updates on mikko. yesterday i did notice she was either regurgitatiing or throwing up? not sure what either looks like but i saw her do this and then eat what ever came up in her mouth. and she wasnt trying to feed it to me so idk i called the vet and im waiting for a call back thanks for all the support guys it means a lot! and im sorry for making you worry!

Status
Not open for further replies.