• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

(Update #45) mikkos butt? Worried!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

coral

Walking the driveway
Real Name
coral
so yesterday while i was scratching mikkos head my friend notcied mikkos butt. it was like pulsating and kind of looked like it was turning inside out? does that mean there is something wrong or is this normal? ive never seen that happen to marty. after a while it went back to normal
IMG_6628.jpg

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is Mikko having normal bowel movements?Is Mikko a female? You need to keep an eye on this and make sure she is not going to lay and egg. Also prolapse rectum can start like this. A vet check is in order.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I have never seen that on any of my birds so I am not sure what it is but I think it would be a good idea to take him to the vet. Good luck.

coral

Walking the driveway
Real Name
coral
i have no idea if she is a girl or not :( what is a prolapse?

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Prolapse is when the rectal tissue protrudes out of the cloaca. It can be life threatening and set a bird up for infection. She may be constipated or even loose bowels can cause cloaca irritation. Egg binding or an egg ready to be laid can do this. Also a very hormonal bird can "wink" their cloaca if excited but it returns to normal size afterwords.

coral

Walking the driveway
Real Name
coral
should i make a vet appointment? shes been going to the bathroom like normal. what happens if it is a prolaspe will she have to have surgery? if shes ready to have an egg what does that mean? is it okay for her to lay one or would it be bad? im sorry im asking so many questions im just really worried

coral

Walking the driveway
Real Name
coral
i made an appointment for 6:45 tonight im gonna keep my fingers crossed that its nothing to serious! i dont want her to be in pain! :(

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am glad you are taking her. You can't stop a bird from laying an egg, it is a natural process. They handle it themselves unless they become eggbound. Has the cloaca returned to normal or still slightly protruded?

Jazzysmama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm so glad you are taking her to the vet, always better to be safe than sorry and it's always better to catch things early rather than later and it becomes an emergency. Please let us know what the vet says.

copswife30

Real Name
Kathy
Yes I am glad you are taking her to the vet, I hope all goes well:hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Just a reminder that this is a good reason to always know the gender of your bird. DNAing is relatively inexpensive and can save your birds life in a need to know now situation. I will keep her in my prayers that it's nothing serious.

Ginger

topazldy

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Linda
Write down any questions you want to ask the vet too. I know when I go, if I don't write them all down, I forget some of them, and then kick myself later for not writing them down!! Also note anything different that you've noticed lately with Mikko's behavior, eating habits or droppings. What might sound insignificant to us, may be a clue for the vet. Good luck, and let us know what the vet says!! Is this vet an avian vet?

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
I hope everything is okay!

QP4CAG

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lindsay
Just reading this and wishing both the best of luck!!!! Keep us posted

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
LOL.....she/he is sexually aroused from you touching :) Did Mikko make any soft sounds when this was occuring?

coral

Walking the driveway
Real Name
coral
mikko is a rescue thats why she wasnt dna sexed yet, i dont see a reason to get them sexed. the cloaca is still protruded but not as much. thank you all for the support and advise ill be leaving in 15 minutes to take her to the vet. there is always an avian vet at the office i go to, but the vet that ive always taken my animals to is actually an avian vet but she also sees dogs,cats,reptiles, small animals,and exotic animals so i like to go to her and she just happened to have an appointment open today. shes already seen mikko twice since ive had her once for a check up then once for an emergency which was actually a liver problem that caused mikko to not want to eat. thanks again guys! :hug8:

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
The pulsating is normal; I see that all of the time when my birds poop, and it is especially noticeable on my grey. If you can still see a protusion though, then a prolapse may be starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.