• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ummm idk if im doing this right?

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
am i supposed to cut a budgies nail or file them. or do i let them keep growing , i have not trimmed their nails because i dont know if i should

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Some budgies need their nails trimmed. Generally most don't. Most people clip them rather than file. I have to clip my budgies' nails, a chart can be helpful for knowing when they are too long. Different perches can help keep nails down.

animalover

Jogging around the block
I file them if im not confident with clipping, I also file if the nails are dark and you can't see the quick.

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
You can buy a pedi perch for all your birds too keep their nails less sharp without having to clip them often. Here is a thread with information on it,

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
You can buy a pedi perch for all your birds too keep their nails less sharp without having to clip them often. Here is a thread with information on it,
ok thank you

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
I file them if im not confident with clipping, I also file if the nails are dark and you can't see the quick.

ok thank you

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
Some budgies need their nails trimmed. Generally most don't. Most people clip them rather than file. I have to clip my budgies' nails, a chart can be helpful for knowing when they are too long. Different perches can help keep nails down.
ok thank you

Loveofbird

Walking the driveway
Yes some birds need their toes clipped. I get my bird's nails clipped at my avian vet since I'm to scared to do it myself. But if you do it your self make sure you just clip the very tip point off because if you go to far it can hurt them and cause them to bleed(Which is why I'm to nervous to do it myself.)

Didn't you say in another post you knew someone with bird experience? Maybe you can ask them to show you how to clip yours birds nails.

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
Yes some birds need their toes clipped. I get my bird's nails clipped at my avian vet since I'm to scared to do it myself. But if you do it your self make sure you just clip the very tip point off because if you go to far it can hurt them and cause them to bleed(Which is why I'm to nervous to do it myself.)

Didn't you say in another post you knew someone with bird experience? Maybe you can ask them to show you how to clip yours birds nails.
ok , yea im scared to do myself to lol

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Make sure to have cornstarch and a cotton ball on hand if you decide to do it. Use a towel. Be carful or go to the vet. Some pet stores will clip nails too.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
One thing I would mention about bringing your bird to a vet or bird shop for a "clip" ... make sure that they understand that you are only interested in having the nails done.

I have heard several stories of birds being taken in for a nail clipping and coming back with clipped wings. This can be very upsetting for both bird and owner.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
One thing I don't see mentioned yet is you also need to know how to restrain the bird properly so you don't hurt it when clipping the nails. Don't try it yourself until and unless someone with experience can show you how to do so safely and you have the confidence to do so calmly.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
If you think the nails need clipping post a photo here and get a few opinions. Too many times we hear of people clipping nails simply because they get scratched by them, and they don't actually need it.
A good variety of perches and maybe a pedi-perch keep the nails under control. The only time I've clipped nails is when a bird can't use it's feet normally.

Last edited: