• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ugh ... I could not believe my eyes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I would definitely not have my bird cut into anywhere but in a closed environment...surgery should be done in a sterile environment...that's my thought.

CarmieJo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
First let me say that while I have only read good things about Dr. McDonald I have no personal experience with him so I can't speak to his techniques. However, I spent many years in EMS and have seen all kinds of procedures, including cracking open a chest for open cardiac compressions, done in the ER. So, it is not surprising that the tiny incision for laprascopy could safely be done outside of the operating room.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
My concerns would be about an unsanitary environment and the risk of my bird dieing from anesthesia complications. As long as there is DNA testing I would go that route.

crazyanimal

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
I agree that even if surgical items are sterilized, it should be a sterilized environment too. Not only that but why are people watching?? Why is it set up that any joe blow off the street can come in and watch?? I think that is very disrespectful to the pet and the owner.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
First let me say that while I have only read good things about Dr. McDonald I have no personal experience with him so I can't speak to his techniques. However, I spent many years in EMS and have seen all kinds of procedures, including cracking open a chest for open cardiac compressions, done in the ER. So, it is not surprising that the tiny incision for laprascopy could safely be done outside of the operating room.
I would also like to point out that even though EMS people open chests and such in the field, if they didn't have to in order to save the life of their patient, they definitely wouldn't. There's a difference between deciding to do life saving techniques outside of a sterile environment and consciously making a decision to take those surgical techniques out of the sterile environment just because you can.

Patty

Meeting neighbors
Personally I get tired of seeing him judged so poorly - when he IS very clean & has a great positive following. His practice is different how then going to a vet - and the vet seeing 5 different birds in 5 different rooms, while you wait in the waiting room next to a parrot with PDD. NO vet takes ALL precautions there is no way that could even be possible.

Scott is amazing, has worked with amazing vets all over the world. Has written several books {although Ive not read one} and his means are NOT unreasonable. Im sorry but for my parrots id rather they go to sleep for a totally of 2-3 minutes rather then fact the 20 minutes of stress of toweling/struggling & fighting to get a nail, beak & wing trim. Yes, suley you can send off DNA sexing - great but Ive never ever heard of ANY parrot getting an infection because of what he does. He has lost birds on the table like EVERY other vet in america. When he loses a pet he stops clinic for the night (from what Ive seen/heard) and actually shed's tears & feels pain for the parrots which Im sure a Local Vet does not often at all.

I think people need to stop judging people - if you dont have something nice to say, dont say it at all.
I agree with you completely, I have worked with this man several times and I dispute the fact that he doesn't sterlize the instrument between use. I think it is terrible
that you can do this to this doctor when your not sure of the facts. In this dog eat dog age we live in, if you don't know what your talking about then keep your thoughts to yourself.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Ok, I just want to say once and for all that I know people that I absolutely trust who have seen how he works at these clinics and sees that he isn't sterile...I'm not dreaming it up and my friends have no reasons to lie. Secondly, the reason he gets judged the way he does is because it hardly seems safe to be treating birds in the fashion that he does. If someone is willing to have a clinic in a pet store and see birds in the same room that the birds for sale are in and encourages people to bring their birds in to a place like this where everyone will be in the same room at the same time, I find this to be very irresponsible, knowing how many different diseases there are...people who love him may not see this as an issue, but a lot of people do have problems with this and I'm one of them. I think it's totally irresponsible for any vet to work in this fashion and I would hope that others have the same common sense not to take their birds to these types of clinics. That's what bothers me the most...it isn't the care he might give to individuals at their home or his home, it's the blatant disregard for the spread of disease in situations that these clinics put birds in.

QP4CAG

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lindsay
Opinions are like A-holes.....EVERYONE HAS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So quit harboring ppl who DO NOT LIKE HIM!!! Thats their right!!!! My Uncle is a Dr and performs clinics ALL OVER THE PLACE and if his setup is UNSANITARY, guess what....HE DOESN'T PERFORM IT! If someone saw him NOT cleaning his tools, then guess what, HE DIDN'T!!! Im glad to know he has sooo many ppl w/him 24/7 watching EVERY SINGLE PROCEDURE!!!!! Thank god i have a life!!!

Personally, IN MY OPINION, those of you who do support him, by reading all of your posts, and bashing everyone against him, makes me want NOTHING TO DO W/HIM! and guess what....I HAVE THAT RIGHT!:dance4:
:nana:

Last edited:

Doodle Bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Patricia
Why oh why on God's green earth would you need to SURGICALLY sex a bird??????!!!!!!! Haven't the heard of DNA?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I've taken my birds to Dr. Scott at his home office. I have watched him handle my birds as well as those of other parronts and breeders. I like how he handles his patients and I trust him to care for my fids for regular well checks and spa day. I have also had some of my birds surgically sexed by him without any problems. We all have our own opinions about some things on which we are unbending and I guess this is one of them. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.