• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two Conures or Just One?

barry collins

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barry
20180213_142536.jpg 20180207_184254.jpg I think a group of any birds is better for the birds mental state and they thrive on each other. If a bird is given a good upbringing then having another bird around shouldn't make them dislike you but rather take away their reliance on you for 90 percent of their entertainment. I enjoy not being a Velcro birds buddy and i like not worrying about being around every waking hour for a bird.
I would personally have a same sex pair with plenty of opportunity to burn off energy and stay mentally occupied..
My flock has only 1 conure but 6 cockatiels, 3 kids , 2 rabbits, my wife and me and it seems to work nicely.

ThePeepingEgg

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carmen
@TikiMyn thank you for your confidence in my knowledge but I'm rather new to Conures myself and would rather not give advice.
I got both (well now all 3 )of my Conures from a rescue, I started off with just Mango and thought it was a girl until not long ago. Once Mango was bonded to me very well, I added Jupiter. Jupiter had been returned to a pet store 4 different times and was then given to our local bird rescue. I had no idea that I had a pair until there were eggs and then babies. I would have never thought in a million years that those eggs would actually hatch and I did not encourage any type of nesting behavior that I am aware of. I think they were just very determined so I left Jupiter with her eggs, went on vacation and when I returned I was literally getting ready to just remove the eggs and give their cage a good cleaning Etc and then there was a baby (it must have been meant to be because I kept getting interrupted that entire day while attempting to clean their cage). Now there are four babies, and I am beyond thrilled to have them but it was not my intention to have a breeding pair or any babies for that matter. You can bet that I will make absolutely sure this will not happen again!
I am sure that part of the problem was that I did not know which genders I had until it was too late.

So, long story short, now knowing what I have learned, I would definitely recommend having two birds instead of just one. Mango has been so much happier and I know that it was him who helped Jupiter getting over her aggression towards people in general. Jupiter is not yet cuddly like mango is but she hasn't bit me in a long time and even tolerates me scratching her head now I would say with confidence that mango is a much happier bird since I added Jupiter.
The third bird is a different story...lol I'm working on it!

@JamesK I think it is wonderful that you are doing your homework and considering the happiness of your future bird (s). There are many wonderful and knowledgeable members here that I'm sure we'll be able to give you much better insight than I could.

We definitely want pictures once you have decided how many birds you're going to get!

ThePeepingEgg

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carmen
View attachment 269139 View attachment 269141 I think a group of any birds is better for the birds mental state and they thrive on each other. If a bird is given a good upbringing then having another bird around shouldn't make them dislike you but rather take away their reliance on you for 90 percent of their entertainment. I enjoy not being a Velcro birds buddy and i like not worrying about being around every waking hour for a bird.
I would personally have a same sex pair with plenty of opportunity to burn off energy and stay mentally occupied..
My flock has only 1 conure but 6 cockatiels, 3 kids , 2 rabbits, my wife and me and it seems to work nicely.

I love how you put yourself and the wife last...that's how it is in our house, too :) The birds come first, then a couple dogs, a couple cats, about 20 chickens..and eventually the humans ;)