• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two Conures or Just One?

JamesK

Moving in
Hello All-
First post here but I’ve been searching everywhere for an answer and found this awesome forum.

I am about to buy a Green Cheek Conure. I have owned birds previously but that was 20 years ago. I travel for a living. I usually stay overnight away from home three to four times per month. Otherwise I’m home every night. On the nights/days I’m not there my son will come over and spend time with the bird(s).

That is the question though. There are two Conures available from the same clutch. Do I just get the one or does he need the other for companionship? I don’t want the guy to get lonely but on the other hand I’d like him to bond with us and not with another bird and become mean spirited.

I want to do right by the birds(s) but I’m conflicted. I’ll be picking up him/them Wednesday night. Thanks in advance for all your help and advice.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I would get two, I like having two of Each species because they communicate together, enrich their lives, and keel Each other company. Besides, it is fun! Especially as you travel a lot, I would say two birds, if you can afford the double toy costs, vet Costs etc, but I think you already know that.
If you spend enough time with them, they Will still bond to you:)

Dachshund King

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
It can depend on the gender of the bird. A male and female are more likely to bond to each other than you, rather than say 2 females. I'd recommend that you get two but keep them in separate cages. If you put them in the same cage than they'll either bond together or fight. If you want just birds that are flockmates (friends) than have them out together when they're out the cage playing and not have them in same cage. It's completely up to you though. Good luck!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would probably get two of them. Cage them together for now since they are used to being together and it would be more comfortable for them, see how they do and then consider separating them because many times birds need their separate spaces and if one is female and one male you don't want them to breed since they are clutchmates. Are you going to have the breeder sex them before you bring them home?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
You can have a lovely bond with multiples. I would get two. It's always nice to have friends. Says the lady who has 24 cheekies :D

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
I have two from the same clutch and both love each other and me, we all eat together i train them both to do fun tricks, they love to preen my hair, they follow me around, play with their toys together, taught each other to talk, snuggle at night to keep warm, throw food all over the carpet and make abstract art. They are housed in a large flight cage that can be divided into two section if i need to separate them, but their cage is big enough that they can have their own space.

Having two means that when I'm at uni or have a lot of work to do I know that they aren't lonely, scared or bored as they have each other. I only intended on getting pickles as he seemed more friendly and kept flying towards me, wanting to hang out with me. I said I'll just get him as he kinda choose me, then peanut flew over and started nuzzling me and I couldn't just leave her, so I bought her too.

Both are loving and are usually happy to see me,they are tame yet have one of their own which takes the pressure off. You will need to interact with them and spend some quality time with each, it's important that you not only form individual bonds with them but also maintain them.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I'd get two. My first bird was very lonely until the rest of her strange, colorful flock stumbled into her life. Now Mims has birbs to talk with while I'm gone, and she seems a whole lot happier in general.

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
I would highly recommend two over one. I only have one conure, but I really do wish that I was able to get two when Grumbles was a baby. I see the conure pairs at the rescue and wish that I could get him a buddy. (But it was not meant to be. There were no conures available for adoption in my area... so we adopted Levi the severe macaw. Not even a month later a green cheek arrives at the rescue lol.)
And as babies there is more of a chance they will get along into adulthood. Especially because you travel often I would say two.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I have two from the same clutch and both love each other and me, we all eat together i train them both to do fun tricks, they love to preen my hair, they follow me around, play with their toys together, taught each other to talk, snuggle at night to keep warm, throw food all over the carpet and make abstract art. They are housed in a large flight cage that can be divided into two section if i need to separate them, but their cage is big enough that they can have their own space.

Having two means that when I'm at uni or have a lot of work to do I know that they aren't lonely, scared or bored as they have each other. I only intended on getting pickles as he seemed more friendly and kept flying towards me, wanting to hang out with me. I said I'll just get him as he kinda choose me, then peanut flew over and started nuzzling me and I couldn't just leave her, so I bought her too.

Both are loving and are usually happy to see me,they are tame yet have one of their own which takes the pressure off. You will need to interact with them and spend some quality time with each, it's important that you not only form individual bonds with them but also maintain them.
Love this post! ♥
That is what it's all about. You 3 being a flock. And flocks do care and love each other. ♥

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I don’t want the guy to get lonely but on the other hand I’d like him to bond with us and not with another bird and become mean spirited.
Two of the same species is so much better for the birds happiness and well being. We come second. At least that is my opinion.
Just make sure you have two males unless you want to deal with eggs. Breeders are pretty good at doing a DNA test for you before you get the babies. With the GCC that is the only way to get the gender accurately. They will usually tag on the cost of the test to the price.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I had 2.. they made a baby so now I have three :arghh::banghead:. 3 Sun conures is a bit much, wish I would have gotten just the one female :lol:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I had 2.. they made a baby so now I have three :arghh::banghead:. 3 Sun conures is a bit much, wish I would have gotten just the one female :lol:
I just put fake eggies into Tuck and Rue's cage and removed the real one...but yes, I originally thought Chya was a boy until I went to conference and came home to eggs which were likely fertile with her friend Happy. Beginning of my learning experiences so it can and does happen.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I just put fake eggies into Tuck and Rue's cage and removed the real one...but yes, I originally thought Chya was a boy until I went to conference and came home to eggs which were likely fertile with her friend Happy. Beginning of my learning experiences so it can and does happen.
Well they had eggs this year but I had to go on a family vacation so they went to boarding. They decided not to sit on them in their new environment. If they have more next year the bird store I take my guys to go play at every weekend will buy them since my guys have been tested.

JamesK

Moving in
Thank you all! I really appreciate all the help.

As far as reproduction goes, if they are opposite, is there anyway to avoid it? I mean I have no desire at all to be a breeder of little birdies.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
You could replace their eggs with fakes, and I am sure there are Many more ways to stop them too. But I don’t have a lot of experience with this. I know @ThePeepingEgg and @LunaLovebird do. Maybe they can help you better.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
There are plenty of ways to discourage nesty behaviour. Ensuring 12 hours of uninterrupted sleep time is good, as is making sure they don't have an overload of protein in their diet. You'll find lots of threads on ways to discourage nesting if you do a search. If / when your hypothetical pair do lay eggs, it's easy enough to replace them with fakes. I normally put a full clutch in a bowl with some shredded paper when I notice that Luna has an eggy bum. I don't know if it makes her lay less eggs or not, since I've always had them, but it does mean she gets to sit on eggs and be a mama bird without the follow through of an actual chick.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I have two males. Not clutch mates. They are bonded. Cricket was so needy, I was honestly not enough for him so I got Watson. Cricket is still very social with me. Watson, not so much but he is not agressive at all just shy. If you are going to be away, I think two is better but I would try for two males.
rps20180213_084700_755.jpg