• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tumor

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Finches I haven't spent as much time learning about. While I love all birds of every kind, my focus has been parrots . Only some brief experience with avairy type birds , more labs then husbandry.

So I don't really know how to advise you on finch dynamics, or bonds, or reproductive stimulus.

This site might provide you more opportunities to learn , or cover things.

Johnny99

Strolling the yard
Thank you, ordered. Still not sure what to do about my two finches, male and female. Will the male's presence in the cage with the female stimulate her to lay eggs even if he doesn't mount her? As he is half blind and not very active. Or should I separate them..

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Thank you, ordered. Still not sure what to do about my two finches, male and female. Will the male's presence in the cage with the female stimulate her to lay eggs even if he doesn't mount her? As he is half blind and not very active. Or should I separate them..
That one is a bit outside my wheelhouse... I don't know much about finch breeding behavior. I don't *think* so, but I'm not positive. If you take out any cozy little places from the cage so she doesn't have a nesty place, does that help her?

Johnny99

Strolling the yard
That one is a bit outside my wheelhouse... I don't know much about finch breeding behavior. I don't *think* so, but I'm not positive. If you take out any cozy little places from the cage so she doesn't have a nesty place, does that help her?
She certainly has no nests or anything nest-like but I've had them sit in food trays before..

Johnny99

Strolling the yard
So, after 3 months she laid her first egg today in the morning.. I was worried as they have been acting hormonal (though the male does not mount her due to his coordination being not so good). Since then she has been acting tired/sleeping on and off throughout the day. I gave her water soluble calcium into her water bowl and also the bath, and for now I left the egg in the food bowl where she laid it as I was not sure what to do. She has shown interest in it at first but then lost it. Should I separate them?.. They seem happier when they are together.. I am not sure. The food tray is stainless steel as I heard those are better than plastic ones, and it is pretty small, but big enough for her to fit in it. What should I do?..

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
How has she been acting today?

Johnny99

Strolling the yard
How has she been acting today?
Still tired/sleepy.. she eats (she ate a lot of romaine lettuce today as I read that it contains calcium) and drinks, but her activity levels are low. If it's the same tomorrow morning then we will have to go to the vet again, maybe an x-ray. I gave her calcium, vitamins and probiotics (and also a bit of egg food, some people say it can stimulate egg laying, others that it doesn't) and I ensure that she sleeps for about 13 hours. Also noticed that she keeps her wings a bit lower than usual. I don't know..

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Still tired/sleepy.. she eats (she ate a lot of romaine lettuce today as I read that it contains calcium) and drinks, but her activity levels are low. If it's the same tomorrow morning then we will have to go to the vet again, maybe an x-ray. I gave her calcium, vitamins and probiotics (and also a bit of egg food, some people say it can stimulate egg laying, others that it doesn't) and I ensure that she sleeps for about 13 hours. Also noticed that she keeps her wings a bit lower than usual. I don't know..
I think a vet sounds like a good idea, with all that happening

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I don't know how to advise. But I'm here for support!

Johnny99

Strolling the yard
Could bringing a sample of poop to the vet and asking for some tests be meaningful? She is tired today again... not constantly, but more often than she is active.. she flew off twice yesterday and the vet is not exactly close so I would like to not stress her again.

Johnny99

Strolling the yard
She is better but very hormonal again, she goes to sit in the food bowls sometimes (I cannot find smaller stainless steel ones, should I look at plastic?). And I noticed feather loss on the back of her neck - I see him chewing on a feather every now and then and also nibble her (she goes away from him when he overdoes it), I do not think it is out of malice and he certainly cannot chase her around the cage, but I do not want it to get worse. Not sure if separating them would be good for them mentally as they are a pair for sure. They bonded pretty quickly.

Johnny99

Strolling the yard
I was suspecting her to be pregnant based on her belly and vent area yesterday and I was right as she laid again in the food bowl overnight (the "first" egg was 9 days ago, I mean first like that because she used to lay a LOT last year when she was paired with a female). I read that food bowls shouldn't be placed high up in the cage, but when I saw her like that yesterday I moved one up so she can sit in it and hopefully pass the egg more easily than if she was standing. But there is egg food there (purchased, not home-made). It is morning now and the last time I changed it was yesterday evening. Should I just change it daily (meaning I would have to handle the egg daily) or put something else like paper there in the food bowl underneath the egg? And I am not sure how long to let her have the egg for. Last time she had it for a couple of days and then she started eating it so I had to throw it out in the evening. I put calcivet into her water, also not sure whether to do 2 or 5 days as on the bottle there is written you should do 5 days weekly for egg-laying birds and 2 days weekly for non egg-laying birds so I guess the former but I don't want to overdose her or something. Should I do 5 or 2? Sorry for so many questions. They were fine (meaning no egg laying) until warmer weather came recently..

Last edited:

Johnny99

Strolling the yard
She laid again today. At ifrst she was interested in it, then she ate it. Then she ate the one from yesterday as well.

Johnny99

Strolling the yard
She laid again. She laid the first egg, then there was a 9 day pause, then she laid 4 eggs every day until thursday in the evening (this was last week)
and today she laid again. I was very worried about her because she was tired, one of her wings was droopy and she did not want to put weight on one of her feet. Just a few minutes ago she laid a pretty big one into the food bowl that I tend to move up in the cage when I have a feeling that she is unwell and about to laid an egg. I am planning to move it down again if she decides to eat the egg or if she loses interest. There is not a real nest in the cage, but she has her male friend there and she preens him a lot (but they do not mate due to his coordination issues). I don't know what to do.. like I said, she was not doing this for the first 3 months that they were together (since november) but I am worried that he may be making it worse with his presence. Should I get another cage and separate them? Some people (including my vet) also say you should not give very "rich" food to them such as egg food etc when they are laying to discourage further laying, but others say that she should have access to everything.. this is what I am doing. I have been giving her calcivet last week but I gave her electrolytes today instead. She has been acting suspiciously tired (plus the other symptoms I mentioned above) since friday evening.. so I am still planning on taking her to the vet today to do all the tests that they can (though vet visits tend to stress her a lot.. even the day after) - they said they cannot draw blood from her due to her size...

Johnny99

Strolling the yard
She is sitting on it and making those cute little hormonal noises. I will be observing her