• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Travel Cage Dilemma

RJ Noodle

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
Will you be walking a lot with the cage? Sorry if this was discussed before (I skipped over some of it), while I love my Kings travel cages, they can get heavy and it wouldn't be my choice of cage to drag around (carrying) for longer lengths of time. I probably also have a picture featuring the medium and large.
Def will not be lugging that cage around with me for walks. Just wanted something he could travel in and then use as his vacation home. Saving pennies for the Pak O Bird for that sort of outing. I can put it on the back porch for lazy Sat. Mornings with coffee. Will put in car to go down to the park with dog so Noodle can get some morning sunshine. And then to the beach for long weekends and wk vacation.

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Will you be walking a lot with the cage? Sorry if this was discussed before (I skipped over some of it), while I love my Kings travel cages, they can get heavy and it wouldn't be my choice of cage to drag around (carrying) for longer lengths of time. I probably also have a picture featuring the medium and large.
When you get a chance, can you share your medium and large pics too please?

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra

Medium - medium - large

They are also about the same depth, positioned that way.
Wow the large is a LOT bigger. Glad I went with the large. Noodle will be much happier on his vacay :laughing12:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is the large twice as big?

Does it weigh twice as much?

Still would love to have a travel cage for my Amazons

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Is the large twice as big?

Does it weigh twice as much?

Still would love to have a travel cage for my Amazons

The dimensions should be online where vendors sell them and should give you an idea of how much bigger.

It does weigh more, again exactly weight probably available online. I know when we bring that larger one outside, to go through our patio door and down steps, we prefer it to be a two-person operation.

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
So disappointed :shy: FedEx brought my Kings travel cage today at 2:30pm and of course, I was at work. I live in an apt and ALL the delivery people know they will sign at the office, but FedEx could not be troubled :banghead: Hopefully I can go pick it up tomorrow. I was soooo looking forward to it :depressed:

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
The kings carriers look so nice but I'm torn between what size I would get. I'm thinking medium because it would be easier to carry but then the large is nice too with so much room. I'm not sure he needs that much room though. I wish I can see two in person, or at least side by side. Does anyone have a medium and large they can post pics next to each other? I also want the pak o bird too, so hard to decide.
I have the small and very roomy. I bought it instead of the tiny because it has a grate and bowls. It was recommended for me to purchase the Small for the Rose Breasted or my Queen of Bavaria because in the tiny cage the tail would be in poop and that turn me off. I could have got by with the tiny for size but for the reasons listed above I went with the small. I really am just wanting to be prepared in case of an evacuation due to hurricane. Now I have to figure out what to do for the 2 Palm Cockatoo's. I will not put any of my birds in powder coated cages of any kind. I almost lost my Queen to lead and zinc poisoning in a new cage recently!

vmashley03

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
So disappointed :shy: FedEx brought my Kings travel cage today at 2:30pm and of course, I was at work. I live in an apt and ALL the delivery people know they will sign at the office, but FedEx could not be troubled :banghead: Hopefully I can go pick it up tomorrow. I was soooo looking forward to it :depressed:
Did you get the cage today yet????

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
Not sure how it works, but they are holding my package for pick up. I just have to wait for it to get to my FedEx store, which is open 24hrs on the weekend so should get it sometime today :joyful:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have the small and very roomy. I bought it instead of the tiny because it has a grate and bowls. It was recommended for me to purchase the Small for the Rose Breasted or my Queen of Bavaria because in the tiny cage the tail would be in poop and that turn me off. I could have got by with the tiny for size but for the reasons listed above I went with the small. I really am just wanting to be prepared in case of an evacuation due to hurricane. Now I have to figure out what to do for the 2 Palm Cockatoo's. I will not put any of my birds in powder coated cages of any kind. I almost lost my Queen to lead and zinc poisoning in a new cage recently!
Did you have the cage tested and could you list the brand? Maybe you did that in another post and I missed it.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
No I did not have the cage tested. If the company was interested in taking responsibility of course I would if that would make a difference. Now over $2,500.00 spent and more yet to be done what would be the point. The avian vet Dr Teresa Lightfoot, from Blue Pearl in Tampa, FL is certain of the diagnosis of lead and zinc and she saved Baileys life by treating him for lead and zinc poisoning. She had treated nearly a thousand cases in her career. This not anything new. I think so many people find there pets dead at the bottom of the cage and never know why not to mention the cost of an avian vet is not affordable for a lot of parronts! I have contacted the pet store and the distributor for HQ and have sent all correspondence including x-rays from Dr Lightfoot and still have not heard back. I spoke to the distributor and the first think he said is oh no we haven't had any problems in twenty years, right! Called them last week and left a message and no one yet has called me back or responded to my numerous emails. Blood test could not be done when Bailey came into clinic on a Sunday because it was life threatening but a x-ray showed gizzard full of paint chips. Paint is missing in a couple of locations in the cage but I didn't think it would be life threatening. I didn't think lead and zinc was still a problem in paint! I thought they had laws against putting that in paint! Bailey was treated 4 days at the emergency clinic, shots every two hours and subcutaneous fluids around the clock. When he came home meds and hand feeding around the clock for weeks. I still have the cage and stored in my garage. Cage is white and was about 6 months old when this happened. Found out they do not sell white cages in the United States anymore. I WONDER WHY? The distributor told me because it was not a popular color, REALLY! White is the worst color for lead and zinc from what I have found out! Also white is the most popular color in most stores! Funny thing is it was bought as a temporary cage. I had ordered an Animal Environments stainless steel cage which takes forever. I got his new cage two weeks after this happen. MEAN WHILE I WOULD NEVER PUT A BIRD IN A CAGE THAT WAS NOT TESTED BEFORE HAND! Hoping that the distributor will assume responsibility. It really bother's me to know cages are being sold that could kill our pets. Very sad indeed! I won't the distributor to acknowledge what has happened and make a difference.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
And yes there was a post that followed Bailey step by step and what happened. BUYER BE WARE OF ALL POWDER COATED BIRD CAGES!

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
The kings carriers look so nice but I'm torn between what size I would get. I'm thinking medium because it would be easier to carry but then the large is nice too with so much room. I'm not sure he needs that much room though. I wish I can see two in person, or at least side by side. Does anyone have a medium and large they can post pics next to each other? I also want the pak o bird too, so hard to decide.
I don't think they make a medium? Tiny, small and the big one. I am always confused because many people talk about medium or am I missing something or do they not make a medium any more?

Last edited:

vmashley03

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
YES I DO? BRING IT ON! :rofl:
Don't worry there will for sure be a thread of the awesomeness once it's completed (as soon as all the stuff gets made by the wonderful vendors here and shipped to me)!

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Don't worry there will for sure be a thread of the awesomeness once it's completed (as soon as all the stuff gets made by the wonderful vendors here and shipped to me)!
We shall see! I have some awesomenes as well, should be here by next Friday coming from Blu's Bird Toys. Jan has made me two sets of toys for 14" Jolly Balls that are Red in color and I can't wait to get them. Couldn't find them already made up in 14" so had to purchase them separate. These balls are awesome and very large and roomy! I have put it in the cage just to see the reaction from Bailey my Queen of Bavaria :gold: and he runs to it. I won't put it in there until the toys are attached however I know it will be a hit with him. I also have one for the Rose Breasted Cockatoo :galah2: , we shall see how he likes it, yet to be determined. :dance4:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Aghhhh I'm trying to add some to my cart and the small only comes in gold (gak). Silver says out of stock and the other colours say unavailable. But the add to cart button only shows with gold. I don't want gold!

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
Aghhhh I'm trying to add some to my cart and the small only comes in gold (gak). Silver says out of stock and the other colours say unavailable. But the add to cart button only shows with gold. I don't want gold!
Wow, do you think we bought them all already? :jawdrop1:

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I want a large King's carrier in red and a medium in bronze. Where would you suggest I get them? :D