• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toyless Enrichment?

RainbowFlo

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Estella
This is a totally random idea but maybe make him food toys ( at least even if he chews/eat them it is digestible)? I don't know whether this a bad idea or not but I have seen people get something like a small pumpkin, cut off the top where a stalk would be, carve out the pumpkin "meat", make some small holes so the bird knows there is food in it and fill it with fruit/veg or/and seeds. Then put the top back on. Some people also do it with a small bell pepper and hang it on a skewer. Maybe that would keep him occupied for a bit?

Simple stuff could also work like chopped veg on a skewer or covering the seeds in his bowl with crinkle paper (if he won't eat it that is) and putting a bit of millet on top. Just thought I'd share it anyways. :)

PS: You are a great owner for Preeno :) :budgie8:

~ Estella :loveshower:

RainbowFlo

Real Name
Estella
5 Ways To Use Food As Foraging Toys

I know birdtricks isn't the best but the article has some good ideas. The carrot, apple, bell pepper, broccoli ( maybe put seeds in between the little buds) and the pumpkin provided you can find a small one, are all good ideas. I think the smaller the vegetable you use the better so it doesn't scare him the better. If he doesn't know what to do with it, play with it yourself so he knows there is food. Lastly, with the apple idea you could put seeds at the bottom and pile chop etc. on top so he has to rummage for the seeds. Pintrest also has some very good homemade ideas
Hopefully those are enough ideas for now :)

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
This is a totally random idea but maybe make him food toys ( at least even if he chews/eat them it is digestible)? I don't know whether this a bad idea or not but I have seen people get something like a small pumpkin, cut off the top where a stalk would be, carve out the pumpkin "meat", make some small holes so the bird knows there is food in it and fill it with fruit/veg or/and seeds. Then put the top back on. Some people also do it with a small bell pepper and hang it on a skewer. Maybe that would keep him occupied for a bit?

Simple stuff could also work like chopped veg on a skewer or covering the seeds in his bowl with crinkle paper (if he won't eat it that is) and putting a bit of millet on top. Just thought I'd share it anyways. :)

PS: You are a great owner for Preeno :) :budgie8:

~ Estella :loveshower:
Thank you for your kind words!! :')

Yes I'd like to use fresh stuff to make toys, only that I worry in my climate (hot and humid) and me being out for work most of the day, it'd go bad in the cage. Perhaps I'll try that on days when I'm home! I've been wanting to make a veggie kabob cause stuffing them through the cage bars means they'll fall off eventually :laughing2: heres a pic of him looking cute!

20200710_143126.jpg

Today I gave him a sugar snap pea and he'll go at it every now and then. I also weaved a (terrible) ball out of pandan leaves with a millet hidden inside!

clarousel

5 Ways To Use Food As Foraging Toys

I know birdtricks isn't the best but the article has some good ideas. The carrot, apple, bell pepper, broccoli ( maybe put seeds in between the little buds) and the pumpkin provided you can find a small one, are all good ideas. I think the smaller the vegetable you use the better so it doesn't scare him the better. If he doesn't know what to do with it, play with it yourself so he knows there is food. Lastly, with the apple idea you could put seeds at the bottom and pile chop etc. on top so he has to rummage for the seeds. Pintrest also has some very good homemade ideas
Hopefully those are enough ideas for now :)
I like the carrot idea! That's cheap to make and not too large either.

I actually found BirdTricks when I first got Preeno. Their videos actually gave me inspiration and confidence to train Preeno although I know people have different views about them!

RainbowFlo

Real Name
Estella
Maybe see if you can get freeze dried vegetables. I can't find it here in England so I doubt it but its worth a look. Preeno is sooo adorable :loveshower:

Reactions: Ali

RainbowFlo

Real Name
Estella
I'll check this out!

I actually found BirdTricks when I first got Preeno. Their videos actually gave me inspiration and confidence to train Preeno although I know people have different views about them!
They were who got me into birds! I totally agree- they may not be the best but its a start anyways :laugh:

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
thank you for this! I searched on Scarletts and Northern Parrots and when I couldn't find any I assumed we just didn't have it :facepalm: :lol:Time to order some :ebay1:
You may have to check the ingredients as some may have bad foods for the little birdies!

clarousel

Maybe see if you can get freeze dried vegetables. I can't find it here in England so I doubt it but its worth a look. Preeno is sooo adorable :loveshower:
Yeah I'm looking into that but they're on the pricier side, for fruit at least :(

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Yeah I'm looking into that but they're on the pricier side, for fruit at least :(
Here, 5kg of it for £8 so not too bad at all.

Also, @RainbowFlo , do you have any grapetree shops near you? That way you can by what you want individually. Just make sure it isn't soldered or preserved.

RainbowFlo

Real Name
Estella
Oooh I need to look into that never heard of Grapetree. :D Thanks for the suggestions! From most of what I have seen, unless I go to a store with some sort of "pick and mix" I'll have to buy small bags of different veg online and mix it but I don't mind :) Thanks!

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Oooh I need to look into that never heard of Grapetree. :D Thanks for the suggestions! From most of what I have seen, unless I go to a store with some sort of "pick and mix" I'll have to buy small bags of different veg online and mix it but I don't mind :) Thanks!
I don't know where you are in the UK, but down here we have a few 'pick and mix's food shops, with grains, pulses, pasta, driend fruits and vegetables etc...

clarousel

Here, 5kg of it for £8 so not too bad at all.

Also, @RainbowFlo , do you have any grapetree shops near you? That way you can by what you want individually. Just make sure it isn't soldered or preserved.
That's what I miss about the UK! Cheaper fresh produce...

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
One really, really great vegteble for foraging is artichoke..
It doesn't spoil fast and you can stick whatever you want in the leaves.
It also cleansens the liver..
More on this here.

Edit: I really hope Preeno will get well soon!

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
My birds love to rip apart cauliflower. It isn't that expensive and super fun to destroy. :D

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Pasta noodles!!!
I just put tons of bowls of food around for Coco. She likes the dry pasta the best. Her cage is full of Stainless Steel Toys and plastic foraging toys.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Stainless Steel Toys
@clarousel I imported some stainless steel toys from SSBT, such good quality toys I would recommend a hundred times over. There are options for our smaller birds, not just large birds. Maybe you could enquire if they could ship to singapore? (right now some businesses aren´t shipping Intl´but maybe in the future).