• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toss-A-Caique Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmoore

Strolling the yard
Real Name
cmoore
If your bird does not enjoy this game (and if he's biting you, I think that's a sign that he doesn't enjoy it), then I'd recommend taking a different approach.

I started by teaching my caiques to step from my hand onto the bed. When they were good at that, I raised my hand to maybe an inch above the bed, and they would hop off. Then I gradually raised it higher and higher so that they would have to leap further and further down. This got them used to flapping their wings and breaking their falls.

Once they were real pros at this game, I would sit them on my finger, give them the cue to jump off, and gently move my hand forward so that if they wanted to do the jump they could let go and get some extra momentum.

My guys learned to take off from my hand pretty quickly after this. It did take them a long time to build up the confidence to take off from other surfaces, like their cage (it seemed as though they needed to practice coordinating letting go with their feet and flapping with their wings!), but now they are expert fliers. They can hover, turn instantly in midair, turn sharp corners, fit through slightly-open doors, etc.

NikkiLS

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
I play that game with our babies! They love it :) Then they initiate it and turn into little boomerangs!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I play that game with our babies! They love it :) Then they initiate it and turn into little boomerangs!
:hehe::hehe: that's so sweet!!:hug8:lil baby boomerangs!

Hay Kay

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haylie
Felix LOVES this game! my DH started doin it with him forever ago, i never have, i wasn't realy sure how to tell if he likes it or not, but i suppose since he goes back for more he must loveit. Our Sun? not so much

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
so what you do is just toss them in the air? I think Tequila would just hang on to my hand for dear life :lol:
I don't do it anymore since they are flying on their own. Just at the start when they were fully flighted but refused to fly (not used to it) I encouraged them to get exercise that way :D

hotfoot jackson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
I started bundling Dusty my western corella in my hands pigeon like and from the end of the loungeroom threw her toward the armchair, she flew of course, since then all I do is say"Fly" and flick my shoulder or raise my hand, and off she goes. She even makes a call a bit like the one her wild relatives do when they fly together...wonderful fun. We haven't got the recall thing yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.