• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

too many eggs... Please help!!!

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
So Tweety started laying eggs in march of 2017 & she's still going. She has laid 65 eggs total so far that won't hatch cause she doesn't have a male. My dad says no to getting a male & the vet I take her to says it probably isn't a good idea since she thinks that my hand/me is her "boyfriend" & he thinks she wouldn't except the male. He can't do anything unless she gets egg bound then he could give her an implant but the smallest bird he's done it on is a cockatiel... When I was talking to my grandma we had an idea that maybe we could find a breeder in town & buy a fertile egg to put under her so she would have a baby. Question is do you think that would stop her crazy egg laying or not? Any advice is appreciated!

I posted asking about this in another form. Here's the link to it is it a good idea? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Laying that many eggs really isn't healthy for her. First, does she have a source of calcium, like a mineral block or cuttlebone? That would help her nutritionally. Also, you should remove anything that might seem like a nest box. How much sleep/hours of darkness does she get? I know with cockatiels, they're supposed to get 10-12, and they advise increasing that by 2 hours for a couple weeks to try to get them to be less hormonal. Also, rearranging her cage on a regular basis can sometimes help. Also, do you remove the eggs or let them stay? Dummy eggs can sometimes help too.

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
For background, please refer to other thread for photos and details: is it a good idea? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

@Tweetysmomma Maybe you can still edit to include this link in your first post since it has a lot of information of what you have been doing, without having to repeat it again?

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
Laying that many eggs really isn't healthy for her. First, does she have a source of calcium, like a mineral block or cuttlebone? That would help her nutritionally. Also, you should remove anything that might seem like a nest box. How much sleep/hours of darkness does she get? I know with cockatiels, they're supposed to get 10-12, and they advise increasing that by 2 hours for a couple weeks to try to get them to be less hormonal. Also, rearranging her cage on a regular basis can sometimes help. Also, do you remove the eggs or let them stay? Dummy eggs can sometimes help too.
She has a cuttlebone & a chew toy made out of cuttlebone & she has a mineral block also

She gets 14 hours of sleep. I bought some fabric that acts like a blackout cover that I put over her at night so she can sleep in the dark.

I'm going to rearrange her cage today

I replace her real eggs with dummy eggs