• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

is it a good idea?

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
So Tweety started laying eggs in march of 2017 & she's still going. She has laid 65 eggs total so far that won't hate cause she doesn't have a male. My dad says no to getting a male & the vet I take her to says it probably isn't a good idea since she thinks that my hand/me is her "boyfriend" & he thinks she wouldn't expect the male. He can't do anything unless she gets egg bound then he could give her an implant but the smallest bird he's done it on is a cockatiel... When I was talking to my grandma we had an idea that maybe we could find a breeder in town & buy a fertile egg to put under her so she would have a baby. Question is do you think that would stop her crazy egg laying or not? Any advice is appreciated!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I have absolutely no experience with breeding... and maybe you could add this post to that forum so it would get more attention, I think it slipped through the cracks, since no feedback yet. @Budgiebonkers breeds, maybe she might have an answer. Good luck - 65 eggs is a lot of eggs, bless her heart!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh poor little lady. I hope someone comes and gives you some information soon, before she lays another!

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
I have absolutely no experience with breeding... and maybe you could add this post to that forum so it would get more attention, I think it slipped through the cracks, since no feedback yet. @Budgiebonkers breeds, maybe she might have an answer. Good luck - 65 eggs is a lot of eggs, bless her heart!
Which form would I put it in?

datlamb

Sprinting down the street
First of all welcome! :)

Regarding sweet tweety , there are a few things that can trigger her to lay eggs:

Long days. In summer it is the best time to raise chicks so birds are more likely to lay eggs when the days are long. To counter this you can cover her cage or put her in a dark room so that she has at least 14-16 hours of sleep a night.

You said she thinks your hand is her mate. If you pet a parrot on her back and below her wings this can make her lay eggs because these are places only a mate would touch. Make sure that if you pet her you touch only her head.

Another thing that encourages egg laying is soft or mushy foods. These are easy to regurgitate and feed to the chicks so you should avoid giving her these.

I hope this helps!

More information can be found here Part of the Flock

Also it is important to note that laying eggs isn't healthy for a bird. It takes lots of energy and resources from their bodies and you need to make sure that during this time Tweety has enough calcium to replenish her body.
If this goes untreated your bird could die from egg binding.

All of my good wishes and good luck to you! Please keep us updated

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
Shes laid 65 eggs all at once? Or every few months is she laying? when she lays them do you take them out? If theres no male she needs less daylight hours to start second if you take them out she will just replace them, is their a nestbox?

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Can you take a picture of her cage and upload it here for us?
Maybe there is something in the cage that is triggering the egg laying.
That is a lot of egg laying.
We are here to help.

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
First of all welcome! :)

Regarding sweet tweety , there are a few things that can trigger her to lay eggs:

Long days. In summer it is the best time to raise chicks so birds are more likely to lay eggs when the days are long. To counter this you can cover her cage or put her in a dark room so that she has at least 14-16 hours of sleep a night.

You said she thinks your hand is her mate. If you pet a parrot on her back and below her wings this can make her lay eggs because these are places only a mate would touch. Make sure that if you pet her you touch only her head.

Another thing that encourages egg laying is soft or mushy foods. These are easy to regurgitate and feed to the chicks so you should avoid giving her these.

I hope this helps!

More information can be found here Part of the Flock

Also it is important to note that laying eggs isn't healthy for a bird. It takes lots of energy and resources from their bodies and you need to make sure that during this time Tweety has enough calcium to replenish her body.
If this goes untreated your bird could die from egg binding.

All of my good wishes and good luck to you! Please keep us updated
I have her covered for 14 hours & I bought a piece of fabric that acts like a blackout cover.

I only pet her on her head unless she gets poop stuck on her feathers, beak, or feet. Then i flip her on her back to clean it off when she can't get it off herself.

I haven't given her anything mushy foods. She gets some seeds, ZuPreem FruitBlend pellets, honey treat mix, & some collard greens every even.

She has a cuttlebone, mineral block, & a chew toy that's made out of cuttlebone.

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
Shes laid 65 eggs all at once? Or every few months is she laying? when she lays them do you take them out? If theres no male she needs less daylight hours to start second if you take them out she will just replace them, is their a nestbox?
Since she started laying eggs I've been writing down when she lays them.

Tweety egg laying
1st batch
#1 march 30th
#2 April 2nd
#3 April 4th
#4 April 6th

2nd batch
#1 may 10th
#2 may 12th
#3 may 15th
#4 may 17th
#5 may 19th

3rd batch
#1 June 19th
#2 June 21st
#3 June 23rd
#4 June 25th
#5 June 27th

4th batch
#1 July 28th
#2 July 31st
#3 August 3rd
#4 August 5th
#5 August 7th

5th batch
#1 September 15th
#2 September 17th
#3 September 19th
#4 September 21st
#5 September 23rd
#6 September 25th

6th batch
#1 October 24th
#2 October 26th
#3 October 29th
#4 October 31st
#5 November 2nd
#6 November 4th
#7 November 6th

7th batch
#1 December 5th
#2 December 7th
#3 December 9th
#4 December 11th
#5 December 13th
#6 December 15th
#7 December 17th

8th batch
#1 January 15th
#2 January 17th
#3 January 19th
#4 January 22th
#5 January 24th
#6 January 26th

9th batch
#1 February 26th
#2 February 28th
#3 march 3rd
#4 march 5th
#5 march 7th
#6 march 9th
#7 march 11th

10th batch
#1 April 11th
#2 April 13th
#3 April 16th
#4 April 18th
#5 April 20th
#6 April 22th
#7 April 24th

11th batch
#1 may 30th
#2 June 1st
#3 June 3rd
#4 June 5th
#5 June 7th
#6 June 9th

She has kicked out the dummy eggs after she sat on them for 22-28 days after laying the last one. She sat on this batch for 23 days. Then runs around kicking in her food & ripping up her cage paper then 5-7 days or so later she starts on the next batch...

I replace the real eggs with dummy eggs that my grandma got for her.

I don't have a nesting box. Just a glass soup dish with some cloth that my sister made her. Here's a picture of her on it when she laid the last batch of eggs WP_20180607_14_31_35_Pro.jpg

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
Can you take a picture of her cage and upload it here for us?
Maybe there is something in the cage that is triggering the egg laying.
That is a lot of egg laying.
We are here to help.
She had 5-7 more toys in there that she didn't play with so I took those out & just put one in & trade it out
WP_20180706_12_34_33_Pro.jpg

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
But now you are getting feedback, so maybe many more folks will be able to give you suggestions. I would put more toys back in the cage, maybe that might get her mind off laying! (I'm not sure if that might really work, but it's a thought).

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Should I still post it in there or not?
I would - maybe they could give you more ideas, and maybe more will post here too - keep watching all the threads, I can surely sympathize, though I have not experienced this, my female will just turn 1 year old next month if I've got her age figured correctly.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Have you rearranged her cage? And I mean move everything around, change locations of all toys and swings. A change of habitat sometimes upset the egg-laying because it begins to cause uncertainty in the stability of her nesting location.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Maybe if you title it 'chronic egg laying' or 'too many eggs' - PLEASE HELP... it might get more attention too. <3

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
Have you rearranged her cage? And I mean move everything around, change locations of all toys and swings. A change of habitat sometimes upset the egg-laying because it begins to cause uncertainty in the stability of her nesting location.
Yes I've rearranged everything but it doesn't seem to work :(