• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

TOO many birds!!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Hi thank you for that tip, much appreciated. It’s a comforting thought to know it’s not just me :ballerina:lol
:think1: I'm still trying to figure out how they poop on the ceiling :marievacuums: :mop: :scrubfloors2: :cleaningday:

By spraying things you'll have to scrape off, it also minimizes the dust from dried poop and food which in the long run is also healthier for you.

Last edited:

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
This one is the best one...I bought the newer one and don't like it as much as this one. Better suction of debris.
Amazon.com - Hoover FloorMate SpinScrub with Tools, FH40030 - Household Upright Vacuums

But for $99, the newer one is still worth it. I use f10 in it too.

Amazon.com: Hoover Floormate Edge Hard Floor Cleaner, FH40190: Health & Personal Care
Do you by chance know how well this works if there is fur present? We have wall to wall tile in our house so we use the big industrial type of mop bucket and mop. I am spending forever sweeping, mopping, and washing mops. This seems like it would make the job go faster but even with running the vacuum first we still have some fur around with the two cats and our GSD. Jenks oddly enough is the least messy of all of the non-humans in the house.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Do you by chance know how well this works if there is fur present? We have wall to wall tile in our house so we use the big industrial type of mop bucket and mop. I am spending forever sweeping, mopping, and washing mops. This seems like it would make the job go faster but even with running the vacuum first we still have some fur around with the two cats and our GSD. Jenks oddly enough is the least messy of all of the non-humans in the house.
We have small dogs so I know it does pick up hair but not sure how much it can handle before it clogs...

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
We have small dogs so I know it does pick up hair but not sure how much it can handle before it clogs...
Thanks!! For that price it is worth a shot I think. We always vacuum first so unless we miss a big fur tumble weed it wouldn't be a ton all at once.

Veganature

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Steve
This one is the best one...I bought the newer one and don't like it as much as this one. Better suction of debris.
Amazon.com - Hoover FloorMate SpinScrub with Tools, FH40030 - Household Upright Vacuums

But for $99, the newer one is still worth it. I use f10 in it too.

Amazon.com: Hoover Floormate Edge Hard Floor Cleaner, FH40190: Health & Personal Care
Hi webchirp. I purchased a robovac called the B0bbi about a year ago and I love it. It gets up all of Oliver's messes and then some and I love the disinfecting UV Light function. I've yet to use the mopping feature. I bought it on sale at Bed, Bath & Beyond in Nov. of 2017 for $192. bObi Classic Robotic Vacuum Cleaner - White

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Feel for you, Mark. I too have too many birds and wish I hadn't been talked into taking the fourth. Cleaning takes 3 hours every night (used to take 3.5 hours). The rest of the time is spent preparing food. Sometimes I feel so unbelievably stressed.

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Well the only problem with cleaning is the cages, I'd like to shove them out and have a good go at them but it'd a bit hard when it's below freezing. A quick wipe down isn't too bad if done daily but if I need to scrub a cage in winter I have to break it down and put it in the shower. All day to do one cage as I have three cages there goes 3 days, and they're never as clean as I'd like. BUT In summer I have a system were I grab the birds stick them in their travel cages and shovel all 3 cages outside after taking out the mineral block, cuttlebone and toys, I leave the perches in. I set the nozzle to mist and let it get and keep the cages wet while I'm filling a bucket with hot soapy water and getting the brushed, sponges and rags together. By then the mist as soften most of the poop and I have a good go at the cages, rinse and repeat a couple of times. Once I'm happy I spray them with Vinegar to help disinfect and then let them sit in the sun to day. Takes about 2 hours from start to finish.

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Making me glad I just have one bird... Not sure how long cleaning takes, but probably no more than 30mins per day lol. I do a bit longer on Saturdays because that's when I scrub the base and grate, everything else I clean as it gets dirty. I put paper towels in strategic spots to make my life easier...

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Making me glad I just have one bird... Not sure how long cleaning takes, but probably no more than 30mins per day lol. I do a bit longer on Saturdays because that's when I scrub the base and grate, everything else I clean as it gets dirty. I put paper towels in strategic spots to make my life easier...
There are 2 cleaning levels - a lick & a promise (not literally) and there's the elbow grease weekend special.

Cday2

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cday2
Buy a robot vacuum. Makes life so easy. I have mine run twice a day, and only have to do a little manual sweeping and vacuuming during the week.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Buy a robot vacuum. Makes life so easy. I have mine run twice a day, and only have to do a little manual sweeping and vacuuming during the week.
My finches throw so much seed they render the iRobot useless.

3 hours in the morning to feed clean and say good morning, an hour in the evening. Hubby does a big clean on the weekend.

I have 14 cages. Would love to cut that back to 10 or fewer. There’s always something that Needs done, that I have to leave until tomorrow.