• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

TOO many birds!!

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I have gone from 4 birds last month to 7 at this time. I had Da Tielish Ones, Nibble, Piper and Dodger and Miss Riti, the Kakariki in four cages. Then I got Cheddar the GCC, in his own cage. 5 birds in 4 cages. But it wasn't too bad at least they were in one room and Dodger was itching to get in with Nibble and Piper in the Big House and he did so now I'm down to 3 cages.

Then a friend had to have a knee replacement done so I have her Tiel, Miss Moneypenny and English Budgie, Winston. They are each in their own cage and in the livingroom her as I didn't have enough room in the birdroon/computer room for them. So now I stand at 7 birds in 5 cages in 2 rooms. It use to take 15-20 minutes a day to deal with the mess not it's closer to 45 minutes.5

The biggest slob it Winston, the smallest make BY FAR the biggest mess. One thing I have learned from this is I have too many birds here. 5 is pushing what I can deal with so having 7 is a quick cure for MBS!

Last edited:

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Are the number of birds temporary?
2 of them are, Moneypenny and Winston will be going home when Sly is home. Leaving me with 5. I can deal with them as the three Tiels are in one cage now, leaving Riti and Cheddar in their own cages. It's not so much thew number of cages or birds but having to clean 2 room every day that makes it a PITA.

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
MBS is for real haha. Good luck!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Just take over mine for a week and you'll feel like you are on vacation...o_O

I'm not sure why I don't remember that quinoa and berry mix is the worst mess making meal for them...but normally I start out with "oooh, I'll make that, it's their favorite"

37964910_2015370718474528_2779372456496857088_n.jpg

of course it doesn't show the berry mess all over my shirt, cages and other things in the room...but an hour later with my handy dandy garden sprayer full of f10 and paper towels, it's reasonable. It was so messy I had to sweep before I could walk around changing bowls. :wacky:
38023555_2015423921802541_895853564318973952_n.jpg

I do have a floor cleaner which is the bomb for this stuff but the birds have to be put away (they fear the evil beast). So I go the hard way so I don't skimp on their time out.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
2 of them are, Moneypenny and Winston will be going home when Sly is home. Leaving me with 5. I can deal with them as the three Tiels are in one cage now, leaving Riti and Cheddar in their own cages. It's not so much thew number of cages or birds but having to clean 2 room every day that makes it a PITA.
:blahblah: :feedpigeons: :marievacuums: :cleaningday: :sweep: :scrubfloors2: :mariecleans: :mop:

The smaller the bird the bigger the mess!

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just take over mine for a week and you'll feel like you are on vacation...o_O

I'm not sure why I don't remember that quinoa and berry mix is the worst mess making meal for them...but normally I start out with "oooh, I'll make that, it's their favorite"

View attachment 282868

of course it doesn't show the berry mess all over my shirt, cages and other things in the room...but an hour later with my handy dandy garden sprayer full of f10 and paper towels, it's reasonable. It was so messy I had to sweep before I could walk around changing bowls. :wacky:
View attachment 282870

I do have a floor cleaner which is the bomb for this stuff but the birds have to be put away (they fear the evil beast). So I go the hard way so I don't skimp on their time out.

:eeeek::lol:

What floor cleaner do you have?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I have two vet techs clean for two hours every saturday.

teresa A Vigil

Moving in
Real Name
teresa vigil
i have 6 kids5-6-7-9-13, 24 ( younger four are adopted ) 8 budgies, two tiels, green cheek and goffin. My human kids are worse than the birds. when i make dinner with rice, geez. The thing with anything that is messy you clean clean clean, i used to houseclean so i love it , my birds are facinated when i clean too, so strange.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
Oof I can attest to too many pets but in a good way of course! I have four ferrets and they are a handful! And probably the messiest pet I've ever owned including a bird (so far ). They poop six times a day EACH and it's like human poop.
I really want another bird but must be responsible, with working two jobs I just don't have the time. Sigh.

My sister was trying to train her cats to use the potty but never fully succeeded

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Oof I can attest to too many pets but in a good way of course! I have four ferrets and they are a handful! And probably the messiest pet I've ever owned including a bird (so far ). They poop six times a day EACH and it's like human poop.
I really want another bird but must be responsible, with working two jobs I just don't have the time. Sigh.

My sister was trying to train her cats to use the potty but never fully succeeded

I had ferrets too, they are the neatest pets. Wouldn't it be great if you could teach cats to use the toilet when they have to go?

RachelB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rachel Bennett
lol, I have 3 large cages with 8 birds. My once well presented dining room now looks like an Avery. My vacuum is known by my friends as the trip hazard as it is always out and that is because I seem to be constantly vacuuming!! My stone floor which has worked fabulously having dogs has not worked so well with birds. I was not aware that bird poop and fruit stick to a stone floor and dry like cement. So when I am not vacuuming I am on my hands and knees with a scrapper chiselling debrie off the stone floor!!! But hey I adore them and they know I am their slave lol

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
lol, I have 3 large cages with 8 birds. My once well presented dining room now looks like an Avery. My vacuum is known by my friends as the trip hazard as it is always out and that is because I seem to be constantly vacuuming!! My stone floor which has worked fabulously having dogs has not worked so well with birds. I was not aware that bird poop and fruit stick to a stone floor and dry like cement. So when I am not vacuuming I am on my hands and knees with a scrapper chiselling debrie off the stone floor!!! But hey I adore them and they know I am their slave lol
This might make it easier - when I have dried poop on the floor I'll squirt it with water or a poop remover, place a piece of paper towel over it and let it sit to soften up a bit. Then scrape.

RachelB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rachel Bennett
Hi thank you for that tip, much appreciated. It’s a comforting thought to know it’s not just me :ballerina:lol