• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tips on picking a lovebird

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Personally i think 20x14x14 is bare minimum if the bird gets a good amount of outside.
18 is the minimum so they can stretch wings. I just ordered Adelie her own cage it´s w18*h18*L30 but it is the shortest cage I have because of her foot.

Also, even if the guillotine doors are secured shut, it is still hazardous. Aldora got her beak trapped on one where the metal bit bends round like a U shape - an awful situation as Adlora is the only bird I can´t touch. managed to free her swiftly and swapped her cage with another bird.

Lovebirds weigh about 50g. I have one that weighs 43g and another that weighs 55g.

Even something like this is good for keeping cages closed:
55mm-metal-belt-clip-with-split-ring.jpg

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Also, even if the guillotine doors are secured shut, it is still hazardous. Aldora got her beak trapped on one where the metal bit bends round like a U shape - an awful situation as Adlora is the only bird I can´t touch. managed to free her swiftly and swapped her cage with another bird.

Lovebirds weigh about 50g. I have one that weighs 43g and another that weighs 55g.
I have seen birds get caught in those bends at the door. I unusually clamp it tighter. Loki weighs 48g and the lutino in the pic weighs 44g. We have tiny runt birds

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
. I unusually clamp it tighter
Yea, that´s what I did too after she got stuck :(

Loki weighs 48g and the lutino in the pic weighs 44g. We have tiny runt birds
lol Did you miss that Jaime is 43g? lol He´s 42g before breakfast. Lapis and Nube were 44g I haven´t weighed them in a while though. Sydney is 53g And Aldora is 55g. Adelie is 53g but that´s not accurate as it is baby fat from formula.
A good variety :wacky:

Loki is a good weight. Is that a flight feather grown back?

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Yea, that´s what I did too after she got stuck :(

lol Did you miss that Jaime is 43g? lol He´s 42g before breakfast. Lapis and Nube were 44g I haven´t weighed them in a while though. Sydney is 53g And Aldora is 55g. Adelie is 53g but that´s not accurate as it is baby fat from formula.
A good variety :wacky:

Loki is a good weight. Is that a flight feather grown back?
Lovebirds are getting smaller and smaller these days. A good average sized adult peach faced lovebirds is ~52g. She has 1 flight growing back.