• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tips on picking a lovebird

JaneLane

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hi everyone, I am thinking about getting a lovebird since I've crossed out most of other possible choices. Does anyone have any advice on picking one? The breeder is the same one I got my Cockatiel from and they are all babies. After researching I decided I want a male lovebird how soon do sex linked behaviors, like cage aggression or regurgitation surface? At what age do lovebirds go through their bluffing stage? Thanks everyone, I am open to all tips and advice :)

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Peach faced lovebirds can be hormonal as early as 6 months. But from what I have experinced I would say about 8-9 months is when my girl started exploring her frisky side(only a little bit though).

What species of lovebird are you thinking of getting? Males tend to be more laid back but I noticed females are the ones that like to hide in things more than the females. My girl is very jealous of any inanimate object like my phone, keyboard or remote. She will bite the object or my thumb to make me let it go so I can pet her... She is fine with laptops and tablets as long as there is something interesting for her to watch.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Roseicollis (Peach faced/Rosy faced/white faced) are slightly larger than the fischeri and personatus (eye-ring) lovebirds. I hear they are friendlier but I believe that is a myth. As you know, all birds are different.

Lapis and Nube got hormonal at 6.5 months. They were at it at 7 months. They still had their box to sleep in as they were babies, but once the bonking started, I binned it. They looked around for it, poor things, but now sleep elsewhere and haven´t been at it since.
Jaime (male) was about 9 months I think. And I don´t know about Sydney. He didn´t have any negative changes, and started humping the boing at about 1 year old.

Females can be much more aggressive than males. But really it´s bird by bird. It´s impossible to label.
The only true way to sex a lovebird is DNA. Pelvic bones can lie - i used this method, but I´m not bothered if my birds are male or female.

Not all lovebirds get cage aggressive. Usually that can be fixed with a larger cage - but not always.

The only difference is females produce eggs. But some females live alone for 5 years before laying their first egg. Sooo....

I prefer roseicollis, but then I have never been around other lovebirds. Brians bird, Loki, is also Roseicollis.

Sydney is my OG lovebird. Very similar to Loki, snuggly, friendly, quiet etc. but Sydney is very androgynous... I don´t know if male or female, but I think female, yet I´ve not had any eggs. But Sydney presents both male and female traits. I check pelvic bones but it´s too inconclusive.

I will say this: be very careful if you bring home a lovebird, they will have the toes of your budgies in the blink of an eye. You may find best to let them have separate out of cage time. Don´t let the budgies land on the lovebirds cage.

I like roseicollis lovebirds.... but I´m biased as heck! ;)

JaneLane

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@DoubleTake thank you so much for the response, I think the babies are around five months old so they might be hormonal, but then again I thought my Cockatiel was a male because she was singing and dancing a few months later it turned out she was 100% female. I am looking into getting a peach face love bird does your girl get along with people other than you?

JaneLane

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@Zara Sydney is adorable! I also was interested in peach faces because they're bigger and stockier, I've also heard they are nicer but it could be a myth like you say. My budgie, Amelia, started humping things the day I got her, we briefly thought she was a male lol, I vaguely recall that male lovevirds do not make as much noise or mimic as well a female is that true? If I get a lovebird I will make sure to keep them away from the budgies, their beaks are huge and our budgies know no boundaries, I'll probably need to get a couple of locks, Amelia is also skilled at the art of breaking and entering. In a week or two we will probably go and look at the babies.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
It´s worth noting, those babies may be starting their first molt soon, that can sometimes bring behaviour changes.

My hens Lapis and Aldora are loud, they have a mating call and it hits your bones.
My male Jaime is fairly quiet, he responds to flock calls but doesn´t start them. He was quiet before Aldora showed up.
Sydney is as quiet as a mouse. I´ve just got him out, and his pelvic bones feel male, but it´s not 100%

I do think that if you get one lone baby lovebird, the potential for a great relationship is really high. Look at Brian and Loki, Me and Sydney, and Mike @Sunny&Mars and Sunny... As long as you have the time to give him/her, a lovebird is a fantastic bird :)

A few carabiners or D rings will fix the breaking out problem ;)

I can´t wait to see what happens!❤

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
@DoubleTake thank you so much for the response, I think the babies are around five months old so they might be hormonal, but then again I thought my Cockatiel was a male because she was singing and dancing a few months later it turned out she was 100% female. I am looking into getting a peach face love bird does your girl get along with people other than you?
I had company last night and she brought her lovebird. My Loki was kissing and talking to my friend which she doesnt do that too much with me. She loves to cuddle and receive head scratches to me. She was mimicking my friend... I was kind of jealous but happy at the same time. She didn't even care I was ther. Usually she will let people hold her and pet her but she will want to to come back to me... last night, nope she was happy where she was.

I think peach faced lovebirds are a little more bold than their eye ring counter parts which is why I choose that species.

Here is a snip of yesterdays birdie play date. Note that they are both females.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Here is a snip of yesterdays birdie play date. Note that they are both females.
I saw this pop up earlier on youtube, it ´s got to be the cutest thing I´ve seen all day! They are soooooo adorable together!!!❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
She is generally pretty sweet but she gets agressive/jealous if I hold any inanimate object. She will attack it or my finger so I let go so I can hold or pet her...

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I saw this pop up earlier on youtube, it ´s got to be the cutest thing I´ve seen all day! They are soooooo adorable together!!!❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
I would have recorded her blowing kisses to my friend and her bird. She was also saying kiss kiss to both of then. But my friend didnt want to be recorded lol.

Last edited:

JaneLane

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@Zara than you I will have to pick up some D rings! I am excited to go and see the babies and hopefully I find a great baby there. Last time I saw love birds they looked very tiny, almost smaller than the budgies there, I know love birds weigh more than budgies and are shorter than budgies length wise how large would you say the size difference is? I was told by another love bird owner that they need the same cage specifications as budgies but I just want to double check.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
20190218_104535.jpg
@Zara than you I will have to pick up some D rings! I am excited to go and see the babies and hopefully I find a great baby there. Last time I saw love birds they looked very tiny, almost smaller than the budgies there, I know love birds weigh more than budgies and are shorter than budgies length wise how large would you say the size difference is? I was told by another love bird owner that they need the same cage specifications as budgies but I just want to double check.
What kind of cage do you have? Is it the kind with the guillotine doors? Personally i think 20x14x14 is bare minimum if the bird gets a good amount of outside. Mine is 30"w x 18"d x 39"h(without stand)

Last edited:

JaneLane

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@DoubleTake your lovie is so cute! It looks like she gets along great with other birds, and she seems really intelligent as welk I love how she follows you for head rubs. I have a lot of experience owning mammals and one of the first things I was told as a child is that mammals mainly lagamorphs and rodents get along best with owners of the opposite gender, I have found this true especially for rabbits, our males got along swell with every woman(a little too well...) but were not interested in men except to bite them, our females were more defiant, I was informed it was a hormonal thing, is the same true for parrots? They are not mammals so I assume things would be different.

JaneLane

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@DoubleTake yes those are the type of doors she has, are those bad? Our budgies previously had a door that opened like a moat bridge but we upgraded to a more spacious cage. I would like to find one with a latch door, similar to the kind found on small animal cages so she cant open it.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
@DoubleTake your lovie is so cute! It looks like she gets along great with other birds, and she seems really intelligent as welk I love how she follows you for head rubs. I have a lot of experience owning mammals and one of the first things I was told as a child is that mammals mainly lagamorphs and rodents get along best with owners of the opposite gender, I have found this true especially for rabbits, our males got along swell with every woman(a little too well...) but were not interested in men except to bite them, our females were more defiant, I was informed it was a hormonal thing, is the same true for parrots? They are not mammals so I assume things would be different.
She was terrified of me when I first got her. Drove 2 hrs to the store, picked her out. A scared bird is easier to work with than a bird that bites out of fear imo. Spent 2 hrs with her, took test samples and went home. When i got test results back, I drove back to pick her up she was so scared. So drove 4 hours round trip twice to get this crazy girl. She warmed up to me fairly quickly as I have always grown up with birds, 4 days.

I had test done because I already had birds at home and the previous 3 lovebirds i bought, all test came back positive for diseases. .

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
@DoubleTake yes those are the type of doors she has, are those bad? Our budgies previously had a door that opened like a moat bridge but we upgraded to a more spacious cage. I would like to find one with a latch door, similar to the kind found on small animal cages so she cant open it.
They are only bad if you leave them open and dont secure them. I've seen some where the cage is tapped and the door falls down. Needless to say if a bird was perching at the base of the door, could mean death. I have one these types of cages for her sleep cage and I use S link stainless steel carabiners to lock them in place to prevent the doors from falling or any naughty birds try and escape.

Last edited:

JaneLane

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@DoubleTake she warmed up to you really fast you sound like a bird whisperer :) Your cage is beautiful and so well decorated our budgies cage is not as tall but it is pretty wide and deep, I was thinking about designing new cages for all of them but I cant find any zinc free metal online so I guess I'll just buy another cage.

JaneLane

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@DoubleTake thank you thats good to know, I do worry about Amelia getting her neck caught in one of them, I've tied them down with string, she chews through the string, so the D rings or carabiners will be a big help in preventing escapes and break ins.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
@DoubleTake thank you thats good to know, I do worry about Amelia getting her neck caught in one of them, I've tied them down with string, she chews through the string, so the D rings or carabiners will be a big help in preventing escapes and break ins.
Stainless steel for either would be best. But i just like to be safe.