• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thumbs down

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
I would have given one yesterday if we had the option. You know the little icons for thumbs up and thumbs down that follow comments in many online articles where they allow readers to voice their opinions on the article? I was steaming over a rude comment on this forum yesterday. Apparently I'm not quite over it since I felt the urge to make this post.

When having a discussion, cannot different points of view be expressed without attacks? It sucks the joy out of this forum when people are rude and mean to each other.

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have to agree with Solo I see it more elsewhere, that's what keeps me coming back to AA :)

Now, what I want to know is Kathy, what have I missed????? :D

I thinks it's a good idea too to be able to "dislike" something, I can also see though why admins may not want it as it may serve to inflame a situation further.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I see it as a valuable tool like a rating.

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
I think it would cause more drama than anything else, people who thumbs down something could be confronted via PM, people generally can be immature and thumbs down things just because they dislike the person, it adds an aura of negativity to posts, etc etc. I've seen it on forums before and it often ends up getting abused more than becoming a valuable tool. New people who post threads that people disagree with could get thumbs down and back off as many people will simply use that option rather than responding with any content. Just a whole big nutty hole of stuff. Threads can be rated from one star to five star for content of said thread vs targeting individual posts to show their dislike.

Brenda

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenda
When having a discussion, cannot different points of view be expressed without attacks? It sucks the joy out of this forum when people are rude and mean to each other.
That's why I don't come here very often, it's not fun being jumpped on. I go to the Macaw Board instead. Everyone there isn't so judgemental and jumppy.

Brenda

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenda
I don't know if I'd like a dislike button. I like telling people I dislike what they said. A dislike button is too passive aggressive to me and takes all the fun out of posting or replying.
So you're one of the nagative kinds that draw from telling someone things to hurt feelings or to create a argument?

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
IF Anyone sees a rude post by anyone else-WE do sorta have a dislike button-its called the REPORT POST button! We try very hard to keep the Avenue swept of "dirt" but We do not always see it:(BUT If You all would Report Rude,judgmental,nasty post's We could deal with them! SO instead of asking for future trouble with a dislike button-Lets use the Report Button and help keep the Avenue a clean and Pleasant place to be.:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Pumpkin

Real Name
Tracy
It why I've left so many times. Life's to short to treat people bad. People need to learn how to deliver what they say. Honestly does not give anyone the right to be rude to another person. You can be honest and respectful at the same time. I wish more people would learn that. ;)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't think the thumbs down option is a solution. Unfortunately, rudeness and being mean isn't anything that anyone can control in other people. If something bothers you enough, I guess the report button is the best option there is at the moment but at the same time, why take anything negative on here personally? Rudeness is usually a reflection of the other person's issues.

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
This is a general post, not directed at the OP, just following the vibe of the thread getting more general regarding the board and the conduct.

I admit sometimes people ARE being rude with a negative intention,
Other times, and I do this, some people cant always be bothered with little happy faces everywhere to cushion it all out and prop it all up. It's not that there's a negative intention behind it, but sometimes you just want to put information out there, plain and simply, and cant be bothered with the politics of it all in terms of also conveying emotion. Heck, ive got to be one of the worst people I know/have seen in real life with conveying emotion vs simply stating things...not in a "oh Im so cool because Im blunt" way, but in a..."Id like to express this information to you as simply as I can" way.
Then these posts get taken personally/in a means they were not intended, and it just escalates :rolleyes:

Gets pretty annoying to read "oh that's why I stay off AA now"
Yeah, because only this single forum has issues in the big wide world of the internet...
It's actually one of the kindest Ive ever seen accross a lot of topics/hobbies.

People not agreeing with you on all accounts does not mean they're negative/bullies in ALL cases. Sometimes, yes, other times people need to quit the "oh Im such a victim" mentality.
Infact expecting people to always agree is a form of bullying, in my eyes.

Just like in the physical world, not everyone is going to like you.
It doesn't mean they have the right to bully you, but it also doesn't mean every little thing they say is meant to be a dig.

*shrugs*

Edit: should add I dont think thumbs down buttons would add anything but a negative vibe.

Last edited:

tozie12

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
i'm fairly blunt in person. i believe if someone can ask a question, they deserve an honest answer. BUT i dont say negative things just to say them. i was taught that you must guage what you say. is it going to do any good? is it going to change anything? simply put: pick your battles. and dont fight a battle you have no hope of winning. and by all means, live and let live. there are many things i see and hear that i disagree with in my daily life. but will expressing myself achieve anything at all? will it do a darn bit of good? if the answer is no, i keep my opinion to myself. accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative. i think a thumbs down would be counter productive. if you agree, a 'like' is great. if you disagree, just dont 'like' the message. its impossible for so many people from so many different cultures, walks of life, social settings, and personal histories to ALWAYS agree 100%. adding a thumbs down would just make more trouble by offering a generic 'i dont like what you said' button that'll create MORE conflict. the goal here should be to have LESS conflict.

solo

Real Name
jess
i really don't come across many rude people here
some people just say what they feel in a blunt way and i don't get offended by that but i can see how more sensitive people would :)
i like that people say what they feel here
imagine we all tiptoed around here to scared to say anything unless someone took it the wrong way ?
i like to be told when i'm doing something wrong
but maybe that's just me :confused:

TexasTornado018

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tracy
Ok I have to put my two cents in....I dont think people are actually trying to be rude ....I have seen a few posts where people DONT AGREE with the way others are raising their "children" AKA flock....I believe we all are trying to raise our birds the best we can ,,,,I also believe that we all think we are doing it RIGHT! when someone comes across and says something negative or something they dont agree with ,,,Its like telling a parent they are raising their kids wrong....Those are the only negative posts I have seen thus far...I havent been here long ,,,but I have gotten TONS of advice for my birds and TY all for that :) :heart:

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think there is the possibility it hurt more feelings than not.

There was a reply in one of my posts that was so nasty and rude I could not believe it. I suppose I should not have been surprized. There was no mistaking that person's attempt to be hurtful, but whatever. I was MAD! There were two words I had in mind for that person, but I did not reply since we are not to use that language here. I was not about to waste any effort to water down my reply. The poster was just interested in taking a shot.

In real life, I am direct and maybe blunt. There are situations that require a gentle hand, such as when a newbie has done something unintentionally that harmed their bird when the person really should have known better. Then I said something like.....blah, blah, blah, ....here is a better way to handle the situation and I am sure you will not make that mistake again.

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
Intentionally being rude to other members is what bothers me, not blunt, matter of fact replies. Specifically I'm talking about situations where there is a reply to a post that someone disagrees with. Instead of saying that they don't agree and postting a different point of view, certain members choose to ridicule the member they disagree with.

Yes, ignoring that type of post is probably best. Reporting posts by people who seem to have a habit of being rude to certain members is also an option. But if I can see a pattern I would think others can too, including moderators. So, I assume, maybe wrongfully, the people who frequently make this type of snide, rude post are not asked to stop, otherwise they would.

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I guess I'd also like to add that being seen as rude is all relative. :) What I may consider rude is not necessarily the same as what someone else may consider rude and mean unless it's quite blatant.

I guess I'd rather adopt the live and let live philosophy. I wouldn't want people trying to change me or the way that I post my views. Why should I change others? I suppose if someone cared enough and didn't like how I came across I'd rather they ask me about it in order to understand where I was coming from.
For the most part I personally do not care to take other people's posts personally, unless I happen to have already established a long time and good rapport with that particular member. At that point I *may* or may not personally message them in order to understand. Otherwise, live and let live.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I vote against the dislike - thumbs down thing. I agree with the folks above that it will only increase the drama.

I have limited time when I read the forums or post - and often it's from my phone where you can't really SEE previous lines or spell correctly - and I guess I just type quickly and don't scrutinize it for "will someone take this badly". I prefer to think that if someone posts something negative that perhaps that same battle of time is going on in their world . . . . .

Gee, my hubby will be impressed . . . . that's almost like seeing a "glass half full"!!!! Woo hoo for me!