• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

This monstrosity:Jesses on parrots??

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Marc morrone tried to sell this monstrosity. They are jesses, restraints that go around the bird's legs. This is going to cause some dislocated hips..

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
To put them on a parrot that has weak legs is animal cruelty.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
OMG.... :atomic:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I believe that this particular subject has come up before and the general consensus was that it would not be really safe for a parrot. I want to say that the discussion was discouraged to avoid the possibility of an entity or corporation coming after AA for uncomplimentary posts and possible legal action.

And that is my diplomatic version so please do not interpret it as approval from me or any type of official position by AA. Just mentioning what I seem to recall from a while ago.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Okay. I don't want to cause trouble! I didn't know that companies could blame the forum for member's opinions. They no longer sell these from what I found, at least not this brand. I have seen a lot of them on Amazon, but I think Marc morrone wizened up.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I didn't know what you were talking about...until I actually saw what they are.

My official stand...:nocomment:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Okay. I don't want to cause trouble! I didn't know that companies could blame the forum for member's opinions. They no longer sell these from what I found, at least not this brand. I have seen a lot of them on Amazon, but I think Marc morrone wizened up.
I didn't think for a nanu-second that you were trying to do anything but I remembered having seen something about it before and I know you (as well as many others) are newer members. Do not take this personally as it was only meant as a "heads up".

In fact you should check out some of the forums on AA - I know that there are several falconer members and reading their info and seeing their photos and videos is jaw-dropping.

@HolliDaze you should check posts by @melissasparrots - I believe she works with raptors and has some beautiful photographs as well as information about birds of prey. I've always found that she is very comfortable answering questions about raptors and their handling also.

Last edited:

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I didn't think for a nanu-second that you were trying to do anything but I remembered having seen something about it before and I know you (as well as many others) are newer members. Do not take this personally as it was only meant as a "heads up".

In fact you should check out some of the forums on AA - I know that there are several falconer members and reading their info and seeing their photos and videos is jaw-dropping.

@HolliDaze you should check posts by @melissasparrots - I believe she works with raptors and has some beautiful photographs as well as information about birds of prey. I've always found that she is very comfortable answering questions about raptors and their handling also.
Sounds cool! The only raptors I've interacted with was an owl, tawnyfrogmouth, and a kestral at the zoo I volunteered at. My bird husbandry teacher had a raptor sanctuary.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Marc morrone tried to sell this monstrosity. They are jesses, restraints that go around the bird's legs. This is going to cause some dislocated hips..

We know all about Marc "Moron". I wouldn't trust that guy to look after a frozen turkey.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
We know all about Marc "Moron". I wouldn't trust that guy to look after a frozen turkey.
I do remember a syndicated TV show with him a few years back. I had some concerns watching it and the things he was saying...but I probably shouldn't go any farther than that.

All I will say is that I totally agree with you, John....

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Sounds cool! The only raptors I've interacted with was an owl, tawnyfrogmouth, and a kestral at the zoo I volunteered at. My bird husbandry teacher had a raptor sanctuary.
The tawny frogmouth has got to be one of the most interesting and peculiar birds to see! I envy you having seen a real one.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra

I got to hold her as a reward for advancing my training /\
Oh you lucky witch! What was that like? They look adorable and I didn't realize that they are that big. That's a face you just want to beak boink.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
It was pretty cool. We get her to land on our hands using mouse bits and bugs on tongs. Her camouflage is amazing, she had a beautiful pattern on her feathers. I only ever had a cockatiel at the time, so she seemed amazingly light.
Funny story: I was cleaning the mew next to hers one day, and she tried to attack e through the glass! Scared the heck out of me.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
We call things like this "defining moments" where we experience something that instills a passion for animals. I remember I had actually asked to have my moment with their eclectus, but he doesn't like women and would have bitten me, and then no one would be allowed to volunteer there. I also had defining moments with their skunks. There's a video of me feeding a hornbill in the zoo section of the forum.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
We call things like this "defining moments" where we experience something that instills a passion for animals. I remember I had actually asked to have my moment with their eclectus, but he doesn't like women and would have bitten me, and then no one would be allowed to volunteer there. I also had defining moments with their skunks. There's a video of me feeding a hornbill in the zoo section of the forum.
You and my niece, Steph(anie), would probably hit it off immediately. Steph is the only niece on my side of the family, lives in England and works for the RSPCA (ASPCA) and has a degree in zoology. When she (and her mom my SIL) came in for younger son's wedding in Sept. Steph got to spend half a day shadowing Dr. Sakas at his clinic. You should try that one day - they won't let you actually do anything dangerous but you'll get walked through part of a vet's day.

And Steph is batty about bats - she's worked with them and is "batty" about them.