• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harnesses that only attach to feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pookamama

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Diana
So-I volunteered at a bird rescue and we took some doves on a walk. She used a leather harness that attached to the doves' legs.
I remember seeing a harness, I forget the manufacturer, that had a sturdier one that had metal clips that you simply clipped around the bird's legs.
I'm guessing that wouldn't be good for a flying bird at all. But what if your only purpose was simply to keep your bird on your shoulder, kept the leash so short they couldn't jump off-would a leg harness work?
I have an aviator harness for Pepper. I've been working on letting her get used to touch under wings and chest and such so that I can eventually try the aviator-but suddenly it's hormone bird, and I don't want to keep touching her in all the places I'd have to touch her in order to put the aviator on her! But I would love to take her outside. We have a travel carrier but it's big and bulky. She does spook easily but I was thinking if her feet were harnessed and she was tethered to me with a very short leash-it would work fine. I'm not going to do flight training or anything (Pepper is clipped). I just want her to sit on my shoulder safely!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I do not like nor trust jesses (leg harnesses and leashes) for parrots. They are the norm and used for birds of prey, but BOP have very strong legs with hip joints built to lift pounds of prey after a kill. Parrots do not have the same heavy muscles or thick leg bones; parrot legs are designed to support the birds' weight during perching. Besides that, jesses for BOP are rather wide cuffs that fit on the lower leg above the foot joint and all the jess clips I have seen are thin metal clips and I don't see them spreading the stress of a bird pulling away from a leash across a large area. I envision broken lower leg bones, dislocated ankles and feet and dislocated hips when the birds yank on the leash while flying away. I could be wrong, but I just am not comfortable with these ideas just yet.

With a body harness the shock of being brought up short on a leash when they try and fly away is distributed across the entire body, not just on fragile legs. Of course, the only way I will take my bird out of my house is in a cage with a good latch so they cannot escape. I am very protective of my birds and see no reason to expose them to the dangers of outdoor flight.

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
NO! Those are for birds of prey who have much stronger legs. They should not be used on parrots, they are very old and barbaric and we not have safe harnesses to use, so there is no excuse.

Toadstinytails

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Betsy
In my opinion, these are outdated and dangerous for the obvious reasons stated above. However, you asked what if you kept it short just to keep your bird on your shoulder? In theory, this sems like a good idea, but what if you bird loses its balance and falls? Or, is spooked? The falling actually happened to one of the owners of the petstore where my parents got Fred from. The owners believed that leg chains (as I know them by) were the ONLY way to transport your bird - mind you, this was 35+ years ago. They always bragged that their birds never tried to fly, so it was never an issue. However, many years down the road, after my dad had been using leg chains with Fred for all that time, we went into the store and one of the store's pet birds was gone. Upon inquirying about it, the bird had been on the owners shoulder, attached to a short chain, and due to a recent nail trim had lost its balance and fallen....the leg was nearly removed (as in those days, you only put the chain on one leg). Since vet medicine wasn't that great, the bird ended up being put down as a result of the horrific injury. Fred's leg chain was prompty packed away and never used again. Personally, I'm not a fan of them period, for BOP or otherwise, but if people are going to insist on them, there certainly are birds that can handle that kind of containment better than others.

Pookamama

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Diana
What if it was very short (like only a few inches) and made of a flexible material that would spring, elastic-like, and attached on both legs? That way even if she 'fell' it would only be for a few inches and it would be bouncy? I don't want her on a leash, I just want her in one spot.

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
I think a better investment would be a smaller travel cage, even just something like:
New Large Black Bird Cage Kit Parrot Penn Plax BCK6 | eBay
Which you could carry outside to put her in one spot. :) It's safer and would still allow her to enjoy the air and sun. The cage on its own is worth about $60 here, I would assume its even cheaper in the US.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
What if it was very short (like only a few inches) and made of a flexible material that would spring, elastic-like, and attached on both legs? That way even if she 'fell' it would only be for a few inches and it would be bouncy? I don't want her on a leash, I just want her in one spot.
In my personal experience Ill say it sounds good. Make sure it's fool proof.

Many here on AA will disagree with leg harnesses for Anything but raptors.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I have a lot of BOP in my area and would never take my bird out of my house without it being safely in a cage to protect it from a BOP which may decide to make my bird a meal. There are many documented cases of pet birds being plucked off an owner's should or a play gym outside. I will not take the risk. And even if the bird is in a cage, they must be attended at all times as wild animals and dogs or cats may try and get to the bird inside the cage and can kill them through the cage bars.

I know. I am paranoid and over protective. SIGH....

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza

sounds to me like you are looking for a restraint? :huh: IMHO I think a travel cage would be better suited for a bird.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Why not work with an appropriate harness that is made for parrots? I would never restrain my birds legs. Even if it were springy. I just picture the bird dangling. :( If the bird is clipped and is used to that, I don't see it just leaping off your shoulder.:shrug:

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
If I was going to take a clipped bird outside, I would much rather risk it being spooked and springing for a moment than getting startled and picked up by a breeze. I use a pak-o-bird or small travel cage to take my birds out now. Eventually I want to get them to wear harnesses.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I just wanted to add my feelings on clipping a non parrot species.

It's wrong. Doves need flight to maintain optimum health. They don't climb bars of cages either. So a clipped soft bill is a sitting duck. Not an enjoyable life for a dove or any soft bill really.

Also "keeping them in one spot" is very boring. None of my soft bills or parrots would like that.

Why not help build an aviary so they can remain flighted and have outside time?:)

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
When it comes to doves (pigeons are doves), it comes to mind the history of pigeons as messengers and mail carriers. This was done by attaching a cylinder to one leg. They were used in this way for hundreds of years including in the last World War. I believe that they are the closest relatives to parrots in the bird world.

In response to a statement above, parrots’ legs are in fact used for more than just perching as they are not classified as perching birds (passerines). And are quite comparatively stocky. Two quotes from Wikipedia…

“Characteristic features of parrots include a strong, curved bill, an upright stance, strong legs, and clawed zygodactyl feet.”

and…

“Parrots have strong
zygodactyl feet with sharp, elongated claws, which are used for climbing and swinging. Most species are capable of using their feet to manipulate food and other objects with a high degree of dexterity, in a similar manner to a human using his hands. A study conducted with Australian parrots has demonstrated that they exhibit "handedness"—that is a distinct preference with regards to the foot used to pick up food, with adult parrots being almost exclusively "left-footed" or "right footed", and with the prevalence of each preference within the population varying from species to species.”

The word “strong” was used both times, but regardless, I think it’s well within the ability of pigeons/parrots to wear a jesse. I think, as with any tool used in captivity (as it is unnatural for them) their welfare lies with the keeper themselves – their skill and knowledge.

Last edited:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Why not work with an appropriate harness that is made for parrots? I would never restrain my birds legs. Even if it were springy. I just picture the bird dangling. :( If the bird is clipped and is used to that, I don't see it just leaping off your shoulder.:shrug:
I agree. Either a harness, or a real bonus would be an aviary to be able to exercise around in during day.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't do it.It's a disaster waiting to happen. Seriously Don't.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
No Mercedes, I claim the focus of the dissenting email! You can't get all of them; I want one too!:rofl:

My opinions are my opinions and although parrot legs are 'strong' and used for various things, hanging by them after trying to fly off and being jerked up short is not one of their usual uses. But this is a forum and everyone is entitled to their own opinion and beliefs and I always applaud verbal discourse and debate. :dance4:

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I find it amusing that this question was specifically about doves, but people automatically go to answering about parrots.

Status
Not open for further replies.