• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

This makes me so sad...

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Awww that's a tough one. I second that, what else could make him happy when he can't go somewhere....a special activity later or special treat....hmmm....boy they are like kids. More and more I get to know the cockatoo species I can see that lol.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Well now it sounds like some of the feather picking is happening because he wants something and knows it gets a reaction from dad.
I believe this is exactly the situation here. The problem is that the weather is turning colder now and the opportunities for Milty to go out are getting less and less. He does enjoy outings so very much...he gets doted on (obviously) everywhere we go, and he feeds off all the attention.

He's actually letting his cheek feathers grow in...so I'm cautiously optimistic...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
He does enjoy outings so very much...he gets doted on (obviously) everywhere we go, and he feeds off all the attention.
I think the happiest I've ever seen Milton was at the baseball park this summer. It was "Bark at the Park" night, and Milty just loved it. The more attention he got, the happier he became...I had to calm him more than a few times.

The best...when they showed the individual dogs on the big screen...when Milty saw himself there, he started to dance and bark! The crowd oohed and ahhed, which spurred Milty on even more...:)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
:hehe: he would play me like a fiddle!
...I think you'd establish boundaries for him...it might take a bit longer for you to do, but you could do it...it's something you realize you need to do after Milty would try to impose his will on you.
Milton was a completely different situation from Cassie...Cass could basically call the shots around here. I realized very soon after Milty came here that I'd have to be a lot more "in control" of the entire situation..or he'd run the house...a bad thing to have happen...;)

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I can see that. Fred marches around here like he owns the place lol. He's got me wrapped right around his little paws, and I am sure he knows it! I saw the bark in the park, that was adorable!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
You did say he adores happiness so anything you can do to keep him distracted and in his happy place will help save those feathers. Dobbys happy place is riding on sister's shoulder while she putters in the kitchen and elsewhere. He was just supervising her activities in there from his shoulder perch and happily commenting as she told him what she was doing.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
You did say he adores happiness so anything you can do to keep him distracted and in his happy place will help save those feathers.
So very true!

Milton enjoys being out with people...in fact, after getting "WET"and "The Price Is Right", going out is what he lives for! It's also a chance for me to educate people about birds like Milton...although sometimes it is hard to be serious when there's a dancing bird sitting next to you...screaming, 'I A PRETTY PRETTY BIRD" over and over... ;)

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Ya know for some reason Dobby is kinda like that. Usually when he meets someone new he makes all his favorite sound affects and words and its so cool to see him happy and excited. I guess Momazon and her Daughter did a awesome job raising him with kindness, love, and socialization. He'll step up almost any time we ask, even if you can see he doesn't want to, his cranky episodes usually lead to harsh ferocious beakings, and he will back off or fly away rather than bite. It was so hard to get used to after dealing with MR LURCH... who had absolutely no problem correcting any transgressions with a quick hard bite. It sounds like you and Milty are coming to another understanding and he just hates to be left out of any fun with Dad.