• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

This makes me so sad...

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I feel if I learn as much as I can, it may make me a better (Even if I never encounter some of the more complex problems)
Yep. A better parrot. We never, ever, stop learning.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well that certainly is sad and he understands it is a bad thing to do but sounds like he can't help himself. Nerd had bad flights on one wing and when they tried to grow in they'd come in kinda deformed and I'm sure they hurt so he'd yank them out. One time it was still a fresh blood feather and he had to go to the vet. He never pulled a blood feather again. I think the theory that he may have something going on blood wise internally with the feathers might explain why he does it. They itch or hurt like Nerds bad flights so out they come but he can't explain to you why:(

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Poor Milty...does the vet have any answers? My guess is if Milty knows it's "bad" there's a reason for it but can't explain himself....poor little guy :(

Hendryx

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridie
Awe :(.. I had a similar thing happen, kismet is cage free, she has a cage but the doors never closed and she rarely goes in there, a few days ago I was moving a bunch of aquariums and the door to outside needed to be left open for a long period of time, I placed kismet on her rope perch inside her cage, to which she replied “thank you” then I closed the door, she looked at me and said over and over, “bad girl” “very, very bad girl” my heart broke as I told her not bad girl, very very good girl!! Ugh she was in there just over an hour, it still hurts to think about her little sad voice :(

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I'm so sorry about milty. If Dexter started plucking it'd rip my heart out.

Dexter never says anything of that sort. However, when he wants let out/thinks he's in trouble, he says "I love you" over and over...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
However, when he wants let out/thinks he's in trouble, he says "I love you" over and over...
Cassie would say, " I love you" and reach out for you when something scared her.

At this very moment, Milton has let some feathers grow out on his cheeks...even Kathy saw them and said something about it. I'm not getting overly excited about it, though...I know he'll start pulling them out any day now...:(

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bighug:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How heartbreaking to know he not only knows how to use that word but he is attaching it to his own behaviors. :(

Milty, you will always be a pretty pretty bird who is a good boy and loved by everyone who knows you.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Is there a consistent time Milton pulls out his feathers? A certain time in the new feathers growth? I ask this because Echo will pluck the odd feather now and then.

I've never mentioned it on the forum before as I don't really I think of him as a "plucker" as he has no really noticable bald spots. But he does it now and then. And its always the same type of feather. A fluffy very short pin like feather. There's a little bit of blood and white pulp like substance at the "root". Echo likes to chew on the pulp bit. I assume he likes the taste of it and that's why he does it. Perhaps Milton is doing something similar? I know one of the theories about self mutilation is that they get a certain high from. Maybe it's the same with pluckers? If there's not physical and I know you've done tons of tests on him, maybe there is something rewarding he finds about the experience? I don't know... I'm just spitballing here.

But Milton couldn't have a better home. And is very well taken care of and very well loved. No matter what happens with his plucking behavior I know that you're doing right by him
:hug8:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Dexter never says anything of that sort. However, when he wants let out/thinks he's in trouble, he says "I love you" over and over...
*snicker* Rio has never heard me get upset toward her, except for "no bite." Today she flung a ceramic dish off the counter and it shatter about 10 feet in every direction. I said "D@#%% it, Rio!" (another thing she's never heard!) and she flew to her cage. I've spent hours trying to get her in her cage lately .... now we know the trick.:rofl:

Is there a consistent time Milton pulls out his feathers? A certain time in the new feathers growth? I ask this because Echo will pluck the odd feather now and then.
I have a Gouldian that plucked a whole row of feathers, the purple chest feathers at the edge where they meet yellow belly feathers. Now they came back all white. I'm convinced something about them hurts. I don't know how to make it different. :(

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
*snicker* Rio has never heard me get upset toward her, except for "no bite." Today she flung a ceramic dish off the counter and it shatter about 10 feet in every direction. I said "D@#%% it, Rio!" (another thing she's never heard!) and she flew to her cage. I've spent hours trying to get her in her cage lately .... now we know the trick.:rofl:.
Lurch one morning decided he wanted my morning hot cereal I was eating so he landed on my shoulder. I didn't produce it fast enough so he went KACK! and punched two holes in my ear. I said what the ghfd%* was that for and his eyes got big and he shot off as fast as he could. We had a very bad talk and I stuffed him kicking and screaming into his cage. He realized the minute he did it and I reacted that he was in serious trouble. He birdy sweared at me from his covered cage for a few hours and I thought about what happened after we calmed down and realized letting him out, then eating hot cereal in front of him was a big mistake so partly my fault. later in the early evening I decided we had enough time to calm down and carefully let him out. He flew over to my chair and said "Hi sweetheart" which I guess meant we were good to go:xflove:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Milton was a screaming meemie today.

I was going in and out of the house running errands with my brother, so he heard this...

Milton: "WHERE YOU GOING?"

Me: I have to go to the store now,bird...you can't go there. (he can't)

Milty starts picking his neck...because he can't go with us.

Me: You don't have to do that, Bird

Milton: "BUT I A BAD BIRD!"

Me:No you're not...you just can't go with us now...

Milton: "DAT BAD...WANNA GO!"

Just another day here in the crazy house...

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Maybe if you're a good bird as usual, Dad will bring you back something from the store Milton! Try: "Dad bring me DAT from the store PLEASE?!"

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well now it sounds like some of the feather picking is happening because he wants something and knows it gets a reaction from dad. Guess it's a start to help work out what would make him happy rather than pull feathers. It's a tough thing to try and make stop. Nerd used to love to preen and kneed the purplish featbers on his chest when happy or getting scritches. He'd get them all wonky and full of bird spit so I'd just spray him down good and they'd look ok for a while till he overpreened them again. I don't even know when he started concentrating on them and he wasn't going to stop. One good thing he didn't really pull any, he was very happy in his flock.