• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking...

petiteoiseau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bibi
My commentary was on the idea that there's no moral consequence associated with the way we treat non-human animals at all. Looking at the institutions that define that morality and especially the historic resistance to relating us to them in any way. That we define good and evil based on what works for us. And that enables us to live our lives, oblivious to animals abused for various ends, guilt free. We eat meat and behave as they do although they have instincts but we have sins and virtues.
So true! I just found out (through a petition) that "close to a million chickens and turkeys are boiled alive every year, and tens of millions more arrive at the slaughterhouse with broken and dislocated limbs because the USDA refuses to use its legal authority to stop companies from participating in this cruelty." Lord, I already knew about the male chicks been thrown into the grinding machine alive and now this! And all because the poultry producers are so very powerful that the USDA decided not to enforce existing laws on this industry!

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
I've personally decided what I'll be doing.

I've decided that it's not enough to support itself, and I would inevitably lose money unless I continued to hold a job, which would then place even more pressure on trying to raise the babies, give attention to my current babies, and spend time with my family. It's not worth the stress, especially given I already have an anxiety disorder, though it's controlled, for the most part, by medications.

I am, however, very much enjoying the input on the current conversation, though it's off track. So, if the admins are looking here and thinking of shutting it down, please don't. I very much enjoy reading this debate.

DancingFeathers

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I've personally decided what I'll be doing.

I've decided that it's not enough to support itself, and I would inevitably lose money unless I continued to hold a job, which would then place even more pressure on trying to raise the babies, give attention to my current babies, and spend time with my family. It's not worth the stress, especially given I already have an anxiety disorder, though it's controlled, for the most part, by medication.

I'm glad you came to a decision. You seem very mature. Best of luck for whatever you do in the future!

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
I'm glad you came to a decision. You seem very mature. Best of luck for whatever you do in the future!
Thanks! As mentioned previously, I will definitely be a zoo veterinarian. It's a long road, but it's my dream. Gotta work hard for your dreams.

Thinking about volunteering at a wildlife rehabilitation center. We recently found a dead momma and rescued the eight babies out of her pouch before nature further took its course(literally, two hours later she was swarmed in maggots). Thankfully I'm the one that started this in my family, searching opossum corpses, so I already knew how to care for them. It was very rewarding to feed the babies every two hours, though it was a lot of work. They stayed with me overnight until we found them a center that had open space. I had to wake up every two hours, a little bothersome when you're dead tired but necessary. Even though it was a little irritating not getting a restful night's sleep, I really hated to see them go. We've checked up on them since, they're all doing great!

DancingFeathers

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
They're adorable! I would be freaking out with worry. I never thought to look at the corpses. I'll keep that in mind next time I see a dead opossum.

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
Opossums carry diseases that are deadly to parrots and that are incurable.
Sarcocystosis
Don't let your enthusiasm get ahead of your common sense.
They never came in contact with my birds, and sanitized after handling, so you can chill yourself. I'm not stupid. :/

You really shouldn't shoot someone down for helping the environment. Just because you'd leave them to die doesn't mean everyone else will. Do you even know how many possums are actually orphans, therefore would have died if someone weren't caring enough to look for them? Do you know how many raccoons I saw at the facility that would have easily died if someone didn't care? Just ONE facility out of several that are in our area and FULL because we keep killing their parents with poison, traps, and our cars? They easily had 50 - 75 raccoon babies alone, along with a coyote, a beaver, and otter.

You know it's not healthy to live in fear. Your parrots can catch anything when they're outside. Are you just going to keep them locked up inside their whole life, never to feel the sun shining down on their feathers? That's a little drastic in my opinion.

Last edited:

petiteoiseau

Real Name
Bibi

They never came in contact with my birds, and sanitized after handling, so you can chill yourself. I'm not stupid. :/

You really shouldn't shoot someone down for helping the environment. Just because you'd leave them to die doesn't mean everyone else will. Do you even know how many possums are actually orphans, therefore would have died if someone weren't caring enough to look for them? Do you know how many raccoons I saw at the facility that would have easily died if someone didn't care? Just ONE facility out of several that are in our area and FULL because we keep killing their parents with poison, traps, and our cars? They easily had 50 - 75 raccoon babies alone, along with a coyote, a beaver, and otter.

You know it's not healthy to live in fear. Your parrots can catch anything when they're outside. Are you just going to keep them locked up inside their whole life, never to feel the sun shining down on their feathers? That's a little drastic in my opinion.
My dear, you get offended too easily and shoot from the hip too often. As far as I know, nobody here has a crystal ball in good working order (maybe just some blurry ones) and neither do you so you don't really know if Mary Lynn would leave animals to die or not and accusing her of doing this was completely unfair and unnecessary. We simply offer our collective knowledge trying to help and/or prevent a problem when we see something that raises a red flag in our minds. It doesn't mean we think people are stupid and there is no reason for anybody to feel offended by a reasonable comment or warning. If you already knew what she was warning you about, simply thank her and/or explain. After all, she had your birds best interest in mind and that's the only reason why she posted it.

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
My dear, you get offended too easily and shoot from the hip too often. As far as I know, nobody here has a crystal ball in good working order (maybe just some blurry ones) and neither do you so you don't really know if Mary Lynn would leave animals to die or not and accusing her of doing this was completely unfair and unnecessary. We simply offer our collective knowledge trying to help and/or prevent a problem when we see something that raises a red flag in our minds. It doesn't mean we think people are stupid and there is no reason for anybody to feel offended by a reasonable comment or warning. If you already knew what she was warning you about, simply thank her and/or explain. After all, she had your birds best interest in mind and that's the only reason why she posted it.
"Don't let your enthusiasm get ahead of your common sense."

To me, would imply helping them goes against common sense because apparently they're deadly, dangerous, disease ridden abominations. :/ If Mary was trying to be helpful, she has a really funny way of showing it by saying I wasn't using 'common sense' in helping those that can't help themselves.

Edit: Now, if instead she said,"Did you know that, sometimes, they can carry diseases/illnesses that are transmittable to parrots? Did you take precautions like sanitization?" Then I would of said,"Yes, I was well aware, thank you for your concern." I don't take 'being helpful means you lack common sense' as a legit statement of concern. To me it says that she obsesses about fears. It strongly reminds me of germophobic parents that try to shelter their kids from every single little thing they could possibly ever think of. Sometimes being too clean can kill. Just sayin'. It's been seen in humans, but the consequences on animals are unknown, since, you know, they generally don't sit inside a house obsessing about it.

Last edited:

petiteoiseau

Real Name
Bibi
"Don't let your enthusiasm get ahead of your common sense."

To me, would imply helping them goes against common sense because apparently they're deadly, dangerous, disease ridden abominations. :/ If Mary was trying to be helpful, she has a really funny way of showing it by saying I wasn't using 'common sense' in helping those that can't help themselves.

Edit: Now, if instead she said,"Did you know that, sometimes, they can carry diseases/illnesses that are transmittable to parrots? Did you take precautions like sanitization?" Then I would of said,"Yes, I was well aware, thank you for your concern." I don't take 'being helpful means you lack common sense' as a legit statement of concern. To me it says that she obsesses about fears. It strongly reminds me of germophobic parents that try to shelter their kids from every single little thing they could possibly ever think of. Sometimes being too clean can kill. Just sayin'. It's been seen in humans, but the consequences on animals are unknown, since, you know, they generally don't sit inside a house obsessing about it.
I don't know about anybody else but I did not take that sentence to mean that you had no common sense. I took it to mean that you need to think things thoroughly before you act, regardless of how good your intentions might be. A great advice for anybody, if you ask me, as we are all guilty of doing it sometimes (I know I have to stop myself, take a step back and think things through more calmly and thoroughly many times).

Your "to me, that implies", "I don't take", "to me, it says", "it strongly reminds me of" are all personal and very subjective perceptions of her post which might not necessarily mean that. It seems to me that we all need to give people's postings the same benefit of the doubt one would want them to give to ours. It's only fair, no?