• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

the vet is stumped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
actually pumpkin seeds are on the green light list for parrots. They are very healthy for them. And yes that is the recipe I am going to use although I am pretty sure I accidently got macadamia nuts instead of Brazil nuts. go figure.
How much would a person give to a bird and how do you give it if they wont eat much outside their "box"

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Cynthia I agree on the pumpkin seeds being ok. Do your birds like yogurt? Birdie bread? Anything they find irrestible?

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
Cynthia I agree on the pumpkin seeds being ok. Do your birds like yogurt? Birdie bread? Anything they find irrestible?
they do like birdie bread but I haven't found Gizmo to be gaga over anything but one kind of nut and his water. I thought about putting it in his water. My vet told me to syringe it to him today. We are going to put him back on antibiotics tomorrow. Wednesday he will get the metal testing done.
I haven't given my birds yogurt. I read parrots should have certain dairy??? my Amazon loves cheese. Is quality yogurt good for them?

Oh and I tasted the recipe I made and it is very good. I had a couple spoonfulls of it earlier. need some chips to go with it. lol

Last edited:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
NATURAL yogurt is good for them but need LIVE bateria in it...is very good for birds...just not every day...:hug8:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Pumpkin seeds in general are very healthy for birds. My point was that it's a food you may want to avoid if you are trying to give a low zinc diet. They are extremely high in zinc as are the Brazil nuts. A bad thing to give a parrot if you are trying to rid the body of zinc with a recipe.

You really should make sure that the bird even has zinc toxicity before bothering with holistic cures. A simple blood test can tell you what his levels are and that would be the first step. If they come up high, then the next step would be the x-ray, but since you've already done that, you know that there is no metal in his body which is good.

As for peanut butter, that will not remove the zinc in his blood. It's only good for removing zinc pieces stuck in the bird. It sticks to the metal and is removed as it is flushed from the system.

After three years of messing with this disease in Reggie D2, there isn't a whole lot I missed on it.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Cynthia I wouldnt put it in water. They should have a pure clean water source. Yogurt and dairy products as a whole are not good for our birds because they dont digest well but for the sake of getting them to eat something a little bit is ok. I would buy plain organic yogurt and make sure there is the live bacteria as most good yogurts do have anyway.

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
Pumpkin seeds in general are very healthy for birds. My point was that it's a food you may want to avoid if you are trying to give a low zinc diet. They are extremely high in zinc as are the Brazil nuts. A bad thing to give a parrot if you are trying to rid the body of zinc with a recipe.

You really should make sure that the bird even has zinc toxicity before bothering with holistic cures. A simple blood test can tell you what his levels are and that would be the first step. If they come up high, then the next step would be the x-ray, but since you've already done that, you know that there is no metal in his body which is good.

As for peanut butter, that will not remove the zinc in his blood. It's only good for removing zinc pieces stuck in the bird. It sticks to the metal and is removed as it is flushed from the system.

After three years of messing with this disease in Reggie D2, there isn't a whole lot I missed on it.
I agree Jen, I can't get him to eat peanut butter anyway. Can you believe it??? a bird not wanting peanuts? He is soooo picky. Depending on the detox it is good for them. I agree with that to a certain extent. If there was something being given for long periods of time it could be a problem, but for short stents a small bit it will just be healthy. There are a lot of foods that could hurt him, but this wont. Ya...The x ray showed nothing. kinda wish it did ya know, jsut to have a source.

Cynthia I wouldnt put it in water. They should have a pure clean water source. Yogurt and dairy products as a whole are not good for our birds because they dont digest well but for the sake of getting them to eat something a little bit is ok. I would buy plain organic yogurt and make sure there is the live bacteria as most good yogurts do have anyway.
I only have put aloe detox due to detox. He loves the aloe and we are almost done with it. I am doing a two week like was suggested for liver and his stool is less green. I know it takes a long time for liver to get better, but he is getting better.

Last edited:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Cynth I missed that you were doing aloe detox, that is good and should help quite a bit. Anything new?

Status
Not open for further replies.