• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

the vet is stumped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
all test came back negative and he is getting better. Maybe a toxin like zinc? that is the last test he has all the symptoms of. He is getting better though. I will just keep feeding him well. today is the first time he sat on my shoulder. the biggest problem is he has the grosest poop. It is projectile green slime. There goes the couch. :confused: Missed the towel entirely. I hope we can help this bird. Imodium AD anyone. JK.

trout

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bobby
glad to hear he is getting better. :D

have you though about birdie diapers?

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
glad to hear he is getting better. :D

have you though about birdie diapers?
haha actually yes. I am thinking one giant diaper on me (thus the towel) jsut wish he didn't miss it. lol

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I hope he continues to improve!!! The poops should get better too...lol Took a year for a normal poop outta Tango.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
hope he continues to improve...just put an old blanket or an old sheet over your couch for now

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Hope he continues to improve.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
So glad he is continuing to improve.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
It's so frustrating when you have no concrete answers. I'm glad you do see improvement. :hug5:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Have they done testing for heavy metal poisoning? It sure gets frustrating when you cant find answers. Glad to hear he is doing better

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
Have they done testing for heavy metal poisoning? It sure gets frustrating when you cant find answers. Glad to hear he is doing better
That is next week. We did an x-ray and thankfully can't see anything that was swallowed. The symptoms now point toward Zinc poisoning. I am glad he is starting to talk. I wish he would play. He saw Fifi for the first time last night and couldn't keep his eyes off her. She ignored him just preening away. Gizmo was plucking last night for the second time. I am hoping it was just stress. I don't have to give any meds right now for a little while although they wer helping.

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
Have you given his toys a once over? If you have any toys that have chains or non SS hangers I would pull them immediately. Heavy Metal Poisoning in Birds: Symptoms and treatment as well as prevention
Thank you, this is actually the exact site that helped me think it is Zinc. I am going to juice cilantro because he wont eat it and see if I can sneak it into his water. Does anyone know how much or how often he should drink the cilantro or eat it for zinc poisoning?

carkam

Avenue Veteran
So glad he is improving! May he continue to get better.:hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I am not sure but I dont think you could over do it.There was another recipe for natural detox for metal poisoning. Let me see if I can find it.

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
I am not sure but I dont think you could over do it.There was another recipe for natural detox for metal poisoning. Let me see if I can find it.
I found a chelation recipe and it says 2 t for humans. I am not sure I can get my bird to eat this. Should dropper him? I guess only 1/4-1/2 t would work for that right?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Peanut butter is binding if it's in his GI tract. I'm not sure what to do if it's in his liver and kidneys.

Ginger

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I found a chelation recipe and it says 2 t for humans. I am not sure I can get my bird to eat this. Should dropper him? I guess only 1/4-1/2 t would work for that right?
What is in the recipe? If it's this one I would, at the very least, omit the Brazil nuts and pumpkin seeds which are incredibly high in zinc. Your best bet for heavy metals is to get the blood test done as soon as possible and then, if it comes back as high, use traditional chelation therapy. Normal zinc levels are debatable too though and some birds run normally high. I spent thousands of dollars treating my Cockatoo for zinc toxicity only to find that his levels are normal at 3.9ppm, this is considered very high for some birds but are quite normal for Reggie.

Fresh Cilantro
(2 cups - packed) - alternatively: Coriander or Chinese Parsley) - Cilantro Helps Flush Out Heavy Metals
    • Without the help of any chelation agents, cilantro was able to remove the mercury in two to three weeks. (Acupunct Electrother Res 96;21 (2): 133-60.) '
    • Eating cilantro increased urinary excretion of lead and aluminum.
    • When cilantro was used concurrently with antibiotics (bacterial issues) or natural anti-viral agents and/ or fatty acids like EPA with D.A., an infection could be eliminated for good. (Acupnct Electrother Res. 95:20 (3-4): 195-229.)
    • Note: cilantro pills are available -- but the active component in cilantro is easily destroyed during processing -- fresh herbs are always best. You can add them to your soups or salads, or garnish any dish.
    • Bird owners who are concerned about heavy metal toxicities may feed some of this pesto -- or simply fresh cilantro - to their birds to provide excellent nutritional support and naturally get rid of toxins that have already been absorbed
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 1/3 cup Brazil Nuts (selenium source)
  • 1/3 cup Pumpkin Seeds (zinc, magnesium)
  • 1/3 cup Sunflower Seeds (cysteine source)
  • 2/3 cup Flaxseed Oil (omega-3 fatty acids)
  • 4 tablespoons of lemon juice (vitamin C)
  • 2 teaspoons Dulse Powder (in the health food stores - usually where salts are)

Status
Not open for further replies.