• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The BS you deal with when owning a Pit Bull!!

Tiger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tiger
Hello all!! As some of you may know I own a 3yrold pure Pit Bull whose name is Judas Blue. Ill post pics of him at the end of this post for everyone to see. I wanted to take a few minutes and share some of my experiences with owning a pit bull with you all. As most of you know the breed Pit Bulls is often the most know breed when it comes down to dog attacks and bite. But as a Pit bull owner there are a few things that I need to point out. The reputation that this breed has is just plain wrong!! Pit Bulls are not the violent and aggressive dogs that the media and news and bad owners make them out to be. Now before I start with my story please keep an open mind when reading this please. THIS IS A VERY TOUCHY SUBJECT TO ME AS IT IS PERSONAL!! As many of you know I am an avid Pit bull lover and supporter. I have tons of knowledge and experience with this breed. Lets start with what has transpired overt he past 3yrs of owning a pit bull. Three yrs ago I was bless with this little puppy who was nothing but fur and a huge heart. We began with training and commands. We would have play time all the time!! And let me tell you what a hyper little puppy he was!! As he got older we kept to the same rules and training we started when got him home. We took him to the vet and all the vet techs and vets fell in love with Judas!! He was given all his shots and was in perfect health!! I am pleased to say that today he is a healthy almost 90lbs dog now!! But let me go back to when all the bs started in our life. During his first two yrs with me ive nothing but a hard time from a man who lives one street behind me and is two houses over from me. Things started out rough with him teasing my dog from his porch. Judas couldn't see him because of the trees in back. But he could hear him taunting him. Because of this man I received a knock on my door that turned out to be the Humane officer! I was told that they received a report of a dog being abused and had no food or water or a shelter and was being left outside 24hrs a day. Now I know this to not be true as I only let Judas out to go potty and then he comes right in when he barks or scratches at the door. The officer proceeded to ask me to show her Judas and where he goes potty and his food and his water. After I showed her everything I was asked to she told me to never mind about the call and that Judas was a perfect example of a pit bull. So I found out this man was behind the call. Just when I thought it was all over here to come to find out that this man once again called and had another Humane officer come out only about a month after this happened. So once again I had humane officers at my house questioning me about my dog!! Once again I was told everything was perfect and theres nothing found. So I got a hold of the supervisor at the Humane society and talked with him about me being harassed because of me owning a pit bull. To make a long story short I know have my name and my dogs name on a watch list. So that if this man calls again to report anything about my dog I will receive a letter telling me whats going on and how to proceed foreword with getting this to stop. Now I know there are people out there that believe this breed is dangerous and should be killed. But I am a responsible owner whos pit bull is only a reflection of me. This breed of dog is the most loving and loyal breed ive ever owned! As a responsible owner I take everything in to account to keep my dog safe and I am raising him to be a lover. Right now things are quiet here as they should be. I have taken on the responsibility of showing everyone that this breed is what you make it. Not what the media and news make them out to be. With the Pit Bull you must be the responsible owner and know your dog and them raise them to be loving family dogs. Please do not attack me about this or over this!! If you have any true questions about a Pit bull please ask me and ill answer any questions or concerns about this breed. I am only trying to change one persons thoughts on this breed. I feel like if I can open one persons mind about this breed and help them see and learn that this breed is not what the media makes it out to be ill be happy and working to keep and make this breeds reputation a little more true. Ty for your time!! :heart::heart:

Attachments

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Thank you for your post. I am truly sorry for your experience with your idiot neighbor. Pit bulls do not deserve their bad raps, just like Rotties, Dobies, German Shepards and other breeds don't deserve the bad reps that the media has put out there. There are no "bad" breeds, just bad owners. Wishing you the best.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Forgot to say how beautifully handsome Judas is.

Tiger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tiger
Ty so much for your kind words Brigid!! I must say that I am almost in tears after reading your post! Judas is the most handsome boy!! :heart:

Buzzard

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jess
Why do you think he is targeting Judas because he is a pit bull? Maybe the man just hates dogs, or is a jerk in general. I've had neighbors take a dislike to me and torment my dogs. They're beagles and a mutt with no pit in him.

LunaHestia

Formerly ZoeyBird
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
First, he is SO adorable! Second I can certainly understand your pain. I had the demon dog of the 90's the dreaded Rottweiler. This dog couldn't be bothered to jump over a 2' garden fence and was literally terrified of mice! It is very hard when people judge your dog by his breed and not his actions or personality!!

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Ignorance is our worst enemy....Judas is beautiful, your neighboor is an a*••••••••••, and you
keep up the excellent job your doing raising that amazing boy. Pittie fan here;)

DWRVT

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
I totally agree with everything you said about your dog being a reflection of you, the care and training you give. I also believe they are an extremely loyal and loving breed!!! Any breed can be led astray!! I love bully breeds and sadly I love in a province that has ignorantly decided they are dangerous and deserve to die. So I foster them instead of actually owning, the rescue I foster for takes them out of shelters so they will not be euthanized and finds them good home outside Ontario :)
Please give Judas a big hug for me - he is beautiful :heart: and obviously well loved!!

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Sorry you are going through this.
Judas is a cutie!

Tiger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tiger
Jess to answer your question as to why I think he is targeting Judas is because he has called the Humane officers on every Pit Bull owner on my street. There are a total of 3 pit bulls on my street. My friend who has Judas's parents has also been called on too. There are tons of other dogs in the neighborhood and their owners never received the Humane checks we both did as Pit Bull owners. Ive had dogs all my life and never had any problems ever in 32yrs of having dogs until I got Judas. I have been told by the humane officers that they believe this man hates pits with a passion. I could see if Judas came o as mean or aggressive to him. But he knows me and has met Judas ace to face with the humane officer present. I was told to my face that he will kill my dog if he sees it out without me!! I now let Judas go potty outside on my back porch which this man can not get to due to me having fencing in the back of my property now. This fencing was put up when Judas was only 6weeks old.

Kelli

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelli
i believe any large dog be it a lab or pitbill should be watched with small pets and children until you trust it, but no breed is more "dangerous" than any other. My aunt has a pitbull that wandered into her yard as a puppy and I trust my small dog more with that pittbull than I do with most other dogs closer to her size. My dream dog is a doberman. I just think they are gorgeous. Oh and I got to see shorty and hercules from animal planet last year at a pet expo - Here's a picture of a "vicious" pittbull with my dog. P1010004.jpg

Tiger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tiger
Booker I gave Judas a huge squeeze from you and smothered his nose with kisses just from you! Judas says TY for the love!! xoxo :heart:

Tiger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tiger
My aunt has a pitbull that wandered into her yard as a puppy and I trust my small dog more with that pittbull than I do with most other dogs closer to her size. My dream dog is a doberman. I just think they are gorgeous. Oh and I got to see shorty and hercules from animal planet last year at a pet expo - Here's a picture of a "vicious" pittbull with my dog. View attachment 155514
Kelli I must say what a stunning Pit in that pic!! I am so please to hear you say that you trust this pit bull with your lill baby!! There are people out there that think a pit like this one will eat the little dog! Which is so not the case at all!! Any dog no matter the breed can and will be friends if they both are raised right! xo

Buzzard

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jess
Jess to answer your question as to why I think he is targeting Judas is because he has called the Humane officers on every Pit Bull owner on my street. There are a total of 3 pit bulls on my street. My friend who has Judas's parents has also been called on too. There are tons of other dogs in the neighborhood and their owners never received the Humane checks we both did as Pit Bull owners. Ive had dogs all my life and never had any problems ever in 32yrs of having dogs until I got Judas. I have been told by the humane officers that they believe this man hates pits with a passion. I could see if Judas came o as mean or aggressive to him. But he knows me and has met Judas ace to face with the humane officer present. I was told to my face that he will kill my dog if he sees it out without me!! I now let Judas go potty outside on my back porch which this man can not get to due to me having fencing in the back of my property now. This fencing was put up when Judas was only 6weeks old.
Thanks for explaining, I didn't understand from the first post how you had come to that conclusion. That really sucks that he'd use animal control as a weapon.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Judas is adorable! I loooove pitties!!

Cyreen

Rollerblading along the road
Judas is beautiful.

In all honesty, it's not the dogs that make me nervous, but the type of people who generally (irresponsibly) own the larger dogs, whether they be Pit Bull, Doberman, Rottweiler, etc. They seem to attract a lot of people who are drawn by their "reputation" and inadequately train and encourage behavior that perpetuates the reputation.

As for your neighbour, there are rabid humans everywhere who will find one reason or another to impose their hatred on others. I know, I lived beside one too and my dog was one of his targets too. How unfortunate these people are taken seriously at all. Really, you would think the authorities would threaten your neighbour with legal action for wasting their time.

Tinta

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I'm also a big fan of the breed, but it'd be very hard for me to have one as I don't have my own place. And a lot of places you rent from around me don't allow pits, GSDs, rotts, and dobies.
It's good that Bandaid is all the dog I'm ever going to need. :p

Judas' color is great. :3

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
All the pits I've met in my life turned out to be big softies that just wanted love or to play, even a very noisy one that my neighbors years ago moved in with. Every time he saw me or anyone else he'd bark like he was going to kill, eventually I took a chance and tried to make the universal I want to play dog gesture to him and he went nuts with happiness. After that he would still bark at me but we both knew it meant please play and love on me and every time he would escape he'd look me up and we'd rough house in my yard as he tried to drag me around and play tag and things. The rest of the smaller kids saw what he'd do with me and they started playing with him or talking to him nicely too and that neighbors kid was so put out that nobody was afraid of him anymore, poor dog, he really was just a noisy sweetheart who wanted to play and get some lovin'.
Your right they are very loyal and loving and just want to make their master happy so if they are taught fighting is what is wanted that's what they'll do but they really just want to be part of a loving family and play and hang out if left to be and treated nicely.
Met a puppy at work and all he wanted to do was slobber on me and get petted, very nice lil dog. I offered to let him sniff when I saw him walking by with his young lady owner and same thing, just beside himself to get love and attention. :heart::cool:

Tiger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tiger
Judas is beautiful.

In all honesty, it's not the dogs that make me nervous, but the type of people who generally (irresponsibly) own the larger dogs, whether they be Pit Bull, Doberman, Rottweiler, etc. They seem to attract a lot of people who are drawn by their "reputation" and inadequately train and encourage behavior that perpetuates the reputation.

I understand totally what you mean by this. It is these type of people that give the breeds their bad reputations because of them not being responsible owners. One thing I teach and preach with passion is that ALL Dog owners no matter the breed should learn the history of and respect the breed of dog they have. Another thing that makes a huge difference is proper training and proper vet treatment. When you put all of these things together you have the Responsible Owner who is willing to make sure that the dog is being raised right. I say it all the time to the point that my spouse tells me to knock it off cause I wont shut up about all owners needing to be responsible owners!:rofl: