• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The BS you deal with when owning a Pit Bull!!

kastelling

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Megan
I think I got it? Editing my answer so others can try it. Was it the one in green after you vote?

#2 is a Cane Corso.

Really? I was sure #2 was a neopolitan mastiff (a dog I adore!) That was a great quiz. I have worked with dogs professionally for 15 years, and wasnt sure on some of those pics.

Last edited:

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think I got it? Editing my answer so others can try it. Was it the one in green after you vote?

#2 is a Cane Corso.
No, you have to go watch the video to find out which is the Pitty.

I know the answer, and I was right but it was not easy.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Why do people have the need to label things?????? I have never understood this. Labeling people or animals is wrong and it scars them for life. Bully dogs? You mean bully owners who have not trained their dogs right are bullies and irresponsible.
Ron, I think you misunderstood the term Bully dog AKA Bully breed. It is NOT derogatory,
here is an explanation :) What is a Bully Breed?: Animal Planet

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy

I got it wrong. The correct one would have been my third choice. I wonder if the OPs dog is a pure bred Pitty? Not too likely according to the report.

Has anyone ever done a DNA test on their dog? I have a friend whose neighbor got her husbands "baby" tested for a Christmas present. It is a mutt that looks like a maltese. The DNA results had nothing in the top 4 entries (not even 1/4 genes from one breed) and the top entry was Great Pyrenees! Husband was sooooo surprised.

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
I must say...there are many wise and valid opinions and facts here...
BTW: pitties are in the "working class", as is my Nala/boxer.:)

Tiger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tiger
I thought it was a very civil conversation as well.

I think maybe Tiger didn't expect to see this many posts or opinions expressed?
Actually I knew that this would be kinda of a hot topic filled with all kinds of opinions both good and bad ones. ;) I understand that everyone has their opinions and thoughts. Which I fully understand and accept. But when I come across plain miss education on these breeds I feel the need to present facts and defend these breeds. And when people state very untrue facts I get very worked up. I never got too worked up with this post at all. One thing I tell everyone is that I am working and owning one of the worlds most understood breed of dog out there. When you face mountains of misinformation you tend to begin to become a very emotional person. Everyday I spend trying to teach and inform. I can sit here all day and do this. I am just a little tiny woman who is working with some of the most dedicated people in this area. But I keep my head up and stay strong daily. I am stone used to people refusing to learn more or see it from the dogs point of view. Their a ton of us out there that would and do anything to change this breeds reputation. There are some famous people who like me work everyday of their lives to make sure this happens. Even if it is one person a day! If there is anyone who watched or knows who Tia Torres is will understand my desire and drive with this. Yesterday while Judas and were out taking walk at night I got approached by an older woman who was walking a terrier who older. She saw how big Judas was and his breed and began to ask me if he nice and if he had any dog aggression. Which to me is a normal everyday question! I kept Judas right next to me and commanded him to lay down and stay while I talked to this woman. I made sure that everyone was safe at the time and felt comfortable in the moment. I explained to her that he was very dog friendly and very human friendly. What she said to me next knocked me off my feet!! She asked me to bring Judas over to meet her terrier whos an older dog. And she told me that she has a fear of pit bulls all her life. And with that said she asked me to begin the meeting between them all. I brought Judas over closer to her dog and they meet properly and began to play a little bit. Both dogs got along wonderfully!! Then she asked me if she could take her dog in the house and have one on one time with Judas!! I was so happy that this woman wanted to get over a fear she has had her life! I told her we can do this if she wanted to do this. So with that I gave Judas the command to sit and then lay and stay while she took her dog in. She came back out and asked me how to approach him the right way. I told her everything I was going to do so she didn't become startled or worried. I explained that Judas has his good canine citizenship training and that we working on becoming a therapy dog at the moment. She meet and was sitting with Judas as if he was her dog!! I was so happy watching her begin to build a bond with him. Judas sat there like a good boy should and took all the loving he could from her. To make this shorter we talked about all the myths and misinformation about the breed. We were there for about an hour. I can now say that I am pleased to say that Judas now has a little terrier friend who loves to play and trust Judas!! And I am pleased to announce that this older woman told me that Judas and the information I gave her has changed her views and thoughts on this breed!! There is my one person a day thing!! One thing I say to anyone who thinks these dogs are dangerous or should be erased from this earth is: Remember that at one point in your dogs history they too were treated the same way and had fears and myths about them also. So to end this right I am a strong little woman who has her job to do with this breed. I pray that everyday I change one persons views on this breed and I can die happy knowing that little old me can and will make a difference. :heart::heart:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey

Ok, I did get it, but the first time I took the poll, that answer lit up green (the one that was correct), but the second time the one that lit up green was the Dogo Argentina (one of the few I knew what it was, being a Mastiff person). So I'm not sure what the green is supposed to represent when you take the poll?

I still think #2 is a Corso though :)

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I think this discussion has gone very well. I wish all subjects with a 'hot' button could be this civil and informative. I've learned a lot on this thread and keep coming back for more information. Kudo's to all participants.

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
That Dogo Argentina dog is really beautiful. I now wonder if my brother's ex-wife's dog is that breed. She looks a lot more like that than the pit bull in the correct answer. Of course coloring makes a difference and the dog I'm thinking of is also white, with a large tan spot on her side. Beautiful dog.

One time I was traveling with my female cocker spaniel Mae. She was a tough ole cookie but also knew doggie protocol. We stopped to buy some sweet corn from a guy who had a bunch of pitt pups for sale under the table, at a roadside stand. I didn't see that he had the pups or a large male. I was stopping to buy corn. So when I opened the door Mae jumped out and headed straight for his dog. The man started screaming, telling me his dog would kill my dog and to get her away. Mae had a mind of her own and like Bridgid I'm lousy at training dogs or getting them to behave. But good ol Mae just rolled onto her back, exposing her belly like a good dog and the man's dog sniffed her politely. I didn't buy any corn from him. He was just too worked up.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I got it wrong. The correct one would have been my third choice. I wonder if the OPs dog is a pure bred Pitty? Not too likely according to the report.

Has anyone ever done a DNA test on their dog? I have a friend whose neighbor got her husbands "baby" tested for a Christmas present. It is a mutt that looks like a maltese. The DNA results had nothing in the top 4 entries (not even 1/4 genes from one breed) and the top entry was Great Pyrenees! Husband was sooooo surprised.
I wish that had been available for my huge GS mix. We always had a lot of debates on what his other half was. I need to dig up a photo for you guys to guess :hehe:

He looked like a 130lb German Shepard, but at least I, the vets and other dog people knew he wasn't pure bred. But no one could ever decide what the other half was as nothing stood out at all. I always suspected it might have been wolf. Other guesses were Husky, Collie (one person though I couldn't see that at all). Whatever it could have been it must have been a very large breed as GSDs and the other guesses just don't generally get to 130lbs. I can't describe to you the size of that dog's feet or how thick his legs were, lol!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Was #6 the pittie?:)

Ohh and I reviewed that dogsbite.org site.

I do not like the website.

Edit: video finally worked and NOPE. lol

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
That Dogo Argentina dog is really beautiful. I now wonder if my brother's ex-wife's dog is that breed. She looks a lot more like that than the pit bull in the correct answer. Of course coloring makes a difference and the dog I'm thinking of is also white, with a large tan spot on her side. Beautiful dog.

One time I was traveling with my female cocker spaniel Mae. She was a tough ole cookie but also knew doggie protocol. We stopped to buy some sweet corn from a guy who had a bunch of pitt pups for sale under the table, at a roadside stand. I didn't see that he had the pups or a large male. I was stopping to buy corn. So when I opened the door Mae jumped out and headed straight for his dog. The man started screaming, telling me his dog would kill my dog and to get her away. Mae had a mind of her own and like Bridgid I'm lousy at training dogs or getting them to behave. But good ol Mae just rolled onto her back, exposing her belly like a good dog and the man's dog sniffed her politely. I didn't buy any corn from him. He was just too worked up.
:lol:

No corn from you!

Dogo Argentinas tend to be mostly white. They are a pretty distinctive looking dog and gaining in popularity.

There were 4 on that poll that I felt certain about and that was one of them. A couple I wondered if they were mixes as I just didn't have a clue.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wish that had been available for my huge GS mix. We always had a lot of debates on what his other half was. I need to dig up a photo for you guys to guess :hehe:

He looked like a 130lb German Shepard, but at least I, the vets and other dog people knew he wasn't pure bred. But no one could ever decide what the other half was as nothing stood out at all. I always suspected it might have been wolf. Other guesses were Husky, Collie (one person though I couldn't see that at all). Whatever it could have been it must have been a very large breed as GSDs and the other guesses just don't generally get to 130lbs. I can't describe to you the size of that dog's feet or how thick his legs were, lol!
Maybe the other half was Akita. My male in top solid form was 135lbs and 28" at the withers.
I miss my big boy:(

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Can we play a game now to figure out what the different dogs were?

This is all I feel certain about:

1. American Bulldog
2. Cane Corso
3. The correct answer
4. ?
5. I know they are Mastiffs but am not committed to an answer. I thought Bull Mastiffs.
6. ?
7. Think maybe English Mastiff
8. Pug?
9. ?
10. Dogo Argentina

1, 2, and 10 were the only ones that I thought I had right on the first quick glance.

So what do the rest of the dog people think?

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey

Maybe the other half was Akita. My male in top solid form was 135lbs and 28" at the withers.
I miss my big boy:(
That very well could be it. It's a breed I've only recently started to become more familiar with and would not have thought of it then.

The vets had no idea either. They would ask me and I'd say, "You tell me!" :D

Chaiah

Jogging around the block
We have two King Shepherds and Pit Bull. I spend 15 mins a day with each dog, individually, reinforcing their training. I remind them every day, in a firm but loving manner - no yelling, no hitting, and most days no treats - who's in charge. Each day, outside of training - sometimes with birds out and about, I give commands to ensure they respect me. Training is paramount.

Breed specific bigotry is wrong because we need to understand what the owners of the dogs who harmed/killed people were doing and if they participated in training their dog(s).

Oh, and when I was down, my dog didn't bite me. She most certainly loves me. She saved my life six times by recognizing I was having a stroke and she went to get my husband. Years ago, my autistic daughter asked me, "Mom, what is love?" I realized that love can be defined in many ways, and Fenway loves me...

As far as Pit Bulls, our Angel is so grateful to be in our home. Even after 20 months of having her, there's this look in her eyes as she seems to digress to the time when she was emaciated, scrounging for food and not finding nearly enough, covered in sores, nearly hairless, and by her behaviors we recognized she had been beaten. She has a a warm place to live, premium food, excellent treats, femur bones to chew, vitamins, and she can sleep on a nice comfy bed with people who love her.

Just because it might be a pack mentality doesn't make it any less love.