• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tell me about your Rosey Bourkes please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikkiCat

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
I love hearing about everyone's Bourkes!

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
I am just amazed at how tame Dewey is. He loves to preen us. He loves his kisses too :heart:

Twitter09

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ron
I've had 2 female Bourkes for a while and I can agree they are great little pets! They are friendly and pretty quiet. They love to fly around my house and walk on the floor but they mostly hang out with me. Personality-wise, they are like toned-down Budgies - even more mellow than Cockatiels. They are not at all aggressive, don't bite or have any bad behavior that I have noticed - but they are not "cuddly type" parrots like Conures, Senegals, or Parrotlets. They are not the type of bird that likes to be petted or will roll over on their back etc. If you want that, Bourkes are not the right bird for you. If you can be happy with a mild-mannered bird that will sit quietly on your finger or shoulder, a Bourke will work for you.

I also have a Scarlet Chested or Splendid Parakeet. They are beautiful and also very quiet but a little slower to tame and bond with you. But the Splendid is a good companion bird for a Bourke because their personalities are similar but they are too unrelated to breed with them.

Here's a great Blog about Splendids and Bourkes:
http://thesplendidbourkebirdblog.blogspot.com/

Below are some photos of my birds... all were hand-fed as babies and now are fully-flighted.

Last edited:

Twitter09

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ron
Here are a few films of my birds, so you can see their personalities (I've posted these here before so my apologies to folks who have seen them already!). Click on the photos below to play the movies.

Twitter's first movie:

Twitter (my Bourke) and Peeper (my Splendid) "at the pool":

Rosella's first movie:

Peeper and my Ringneck Doves (I have a "Rainforest Birds" CD playing in the background):

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.