• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tell me about your Rosey Bourkes please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm trying to find some info on these cute little guys. There's not much out there on them as pets,and I know a few people on here are owned by them.

If hand raised are they good pets? Do they play with toys,and want to be with you hanging out or playing with you?

How loud do they get,and if not loud are the noises they make constant like budgies? I'm trying to see if there is a possible species of parrot that could be quiter then a Green Cheek Conure. While Nala's nosies dont make me want to jump out the window like Simba's{Sun Conure} did I do sometimes get bothered by her louder vocalizations.

Now I of course know there is no such thing as a quite parrot,but surely I can find one with softer sounds then even a Greenie could make.

On the off handed chance that someone with a Dove reads this,what are they like as pets?

Kayaker

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
George
My friend breeds them and they are the cutiest things I have seen. The babies all play with little round cat toys. They are very quiet little birds and seem to get along with other birds. Very playful and hers love to snuggle and kiss. This is one of the birds I always recommend to people with smaller children.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My friend breeds them and they are the cutiest things I have seen. The babies all play with little round cat toys. They are very quiet little birds and seem to get along with other birds. Very playful and hers love to snuggle and kiss. This is one of the birds I always recommend to people with smaller children.
Thank you very much for your reply,George. Glad to hear that they act similar like a Greenie would.

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
I hope this thread gets lots of responses. I am very interested in them as well....

Dana Lee

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dana
They have hand raised ones at my local bird store, they are so very very cute :heart:

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
I would say they are similar in personality to a red rump, or even a linnies. They are very cute, quiet, and can be affectionate.

Teasha

They are very quiet birds and when they do make sound it is not hard on the ears at all. Mine were not hand tame so not much help there. I picked up a pair from a pet shop after being there one yr! :( I felt bad for them. Right away they needed to go to the vet and were put on baytril. Then again later the male had to be on baytril but ended up dying on me. I do not know why but it was when he was on the baytril and he seemed fine. So I bought the hen a friend because she was lonely after a bit. I had the same problem with the hen, she ended up sick and was put on baytril again. Then she recovered. Not long ago I found her dead in her cage. I got discouraged and found a home for the male. I have heard that other people have had problems with them health wise, I'm not sure why. I just could not go through it again. I'm not saying you will have the same problems but it is my experience. They are very lovely birds. They are beautiful and sweet birds, I really wish they would have worked out for me.

I have also had doves too but they were never hand tamed. They are very quiet but they have lovely coos when they do make noise. There are diamond doves that are much smaller but flightier or the ringnecks who are larger. I love doves.

I do not think I would recommend the bourkes with small children, kids quick movements I think would easily scare them. But that's just my opinion. :o:

Dana Lee

Real Name
Dana
TikiLola it's called "The Bird House" and it's on 1020 State Route 18 in East Brunswick NJ. The way the store works is you buy your baby and you can visit it as much as you want but you can't take it home till it is fully weened. I believe the current clutch of 4 bourkes there are all sold and they won't have another till the current one's are weened and at their homes. Google the name and address and you can get the phone number and call them to find out when new babies will be for sale. They are a small family owned shop, they do my birds nails for me.

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
TikiLola it's called "The Bird House" and it's on 1020 State Route 18 in East Brunswick NJ. The way the store works is you buy your baby and you can visit it as much as you want but you can't take it home till it is fully weened. I believe the current clutch of 4 bourkes there are all sold and they won't have another till the current one's are weened and at their homes. Google the name and address and you can get the phone number and call them to find out when new babies will be for sale. They are a small family owned shop, they do my birds nails for me.
Ohhh! Thank you Dana! I lived in Edison for a short time many years ago, so know New Brunswick a little. I won't be in the market to get one for awhile, but it would be great to find a breeder and maybe go visit. And especially awesome that someone on here knows the breeder!:dance4:

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I had a hand-raised Bourke’s Parakeet, Bobby, I got her when she was 4 months old. She was very peaceful, calm, friendly, sweet and social — my younger brothers could handle her, and she would happily sit there on them while chirping and preening their hair if she wanted to sit on their head, she was never aggressive, or bitey, and I wouldn’t say they bite hard either for that matter! Bobby liked more so the noisy kind of toys, bells, pacifiers, pony beads, any toy that she could pull on and it would make noise.

They are SUPER quiet, I mean, Bobby at her loudest was still waaay more quiet than one Budgie non-stop chattering, and Bobby chattered quite a bit herself. I don’t think you will find their chirping to be bad at all, unless you couldn’t handle the chattering a fair bit side of it.

I would love to get another hand-raised Bourke’s one day, they are so precious and I find them to be such an amazing little bird with so much to give, they are unfortunately mainly only seen only in aviaries being bred here, not many hand-raised Bourke’s at all, which is a real shame.

Anyway, I will put up a few videos of my Bobby. I miss her so much.

This video is of her chattering/chirping a bit.

Bobby just cruising around with the Cockatiels. (They got along wonderfully)

Bobby hanging out.

:)

annie1

Walking the driveway
Real Name
manuela
Pink is the the greatest bird!! He loves people and would like to be out of her cage all day!
Many have said the Bourke's Parakeets are boring. They would be if you just leave them in the cage, but they are not if you get a well socialized one like Rosey.
Jennifer at Texas Tail Feathers raised Pink and he is sooooo sweet. (They have since gone out of business.)Pink loves everyone in the house and even though he lives in a birdy mansion, he will hop out on us anytime.
A Rosey Bourke's is the perfect bird for someone who wants a very quiet bird that is beautiful, sweet, pretty, and not messy.
The only problem we have with Pink is that he will sometimes get bored on our shoulder and hop down to the floor. Once on the floor, he runs like the wind. We found the best way to "catch" him is to let him run around for a while and then just sit down near him and he will come to us.
If we put a sprig of millet on a paper plate, that will lure him quickly! Sunflower seeds in the shell are his other favorite food, but he doesn't get too much seed so he doesn't get fatty liver disease.
Pink is the smartest bird in the house. He doesn't talk, but he sure knows how to communicate. He quickly learns whistles, even complicated ones. He has learned to whistle like my husband when he wants him, he does my whistle when he knows my husband isn't home to get me to come and get him out. If I don't come to get him and he sees my daughter pass by the room, he will do her whistle to get her attention. LOL
Instead of biting, he communicates that he doesn't want something, like not going back into the cage, by hissing and very lightly pecking at us. It is so funny to us, but obviously not to him.

thats what i found on them ........:D

Dani

Avenue Veteran
THIS IS MY SWEET GRACIE GIRL, SHE IS THE SWEETEST LITTLE THING EVER!

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
I just met a lady who has two roseys she wants to give me :eek:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza

Do you think you will?
I don't know, we'll see. I would love to adopt them, and I remember them. They were for sale a long time ago at my work.

Status
Not open for further replies.