• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tell me about your budgies :D

Nyello

Moving in
Real Name
Melanie Loftis
Hello! I have been doing quite a lot of research about various parrots, but I find that the budgie is often very underrated and unfairly seen as a bird that's "for kids" instead of a potentially great companion for everyone. What are they like to have as pets? How do they differ from other small birds?

Thank you!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
If you decide to get a budgie and want it to bond with you just get one. A pair of budgies are notorious for bonding with only one another. I had two when I was a child and so yes, they are fine with children, as with adults. Their needs are the same as with any living creature.

A friend of mine when I was a teenager really wanted a budgie and he did everything with that bird, taught it to whistle 'Jingle bells' and other songs, along with stepping up.

My views on budgies is that I found them to be pleasant, pretty, but a little bit dull. Many people on this site, however, would beg to differ. :)

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
I only keep budgies and 1 quaker anything else is just to noisy for my liking I get migraines so easily so the noise bigger birds make would give me them worse then I already get plus I can sex them without a dna test

Nyello

Moving in
Real Name
Melanie Loftis
I only keep budgies and 1 quaker anything else is just to noisy for my liking I get migraines so easily so the noise bigger birds make would give me them worse then I already get plus I can sex them without a dna test
That's really true, I like that it is easy to tell their gender. I have heard they are quiet, but that they chatter throughout the entire day. I am worried that I'd get annoyed easily by that. Is the noise quiet enough to kind of "fade into the background," or is it one of those things that's really prominent?

Nyello

Moving in
Real Name
Melanie Loftis
If you decide to get a budgie and want it to bond with you just get one. A pair of budgies are notorious for bonding with only one another. I had two when I was a child and so yes, they are fine with children, as with adults. Their needs are the same as with any living creature.

A friend of mine when I was a teenager really wanted a budgie and he did everything with that bird, taught it to whistle 'Jingle bells' and other songs, along with stepping up.

My views on budgies is that I found them to be pleasant, pretty, but a little bit dull. Many people on this site, however, would beg to differ. :)
Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Nice topic. Over the many years in my life I have had mostly English budgies. Why English? I really don't know. They are larger than American and have some beautiful mutations. They even come with a crest sometimes. Rumor has it they are calmer. I have not found this to be the case. Before I got M&M as in my signature i had a wonderful EB named Chipper. He was an incredible talker. I was in a deep depression when he died from AGY. Now I try to educate other people with Budgie s to study AGY so you will know the signs and symptoms right away.

The two i have now we're from a breeder in NJ. I got Murphy first but he was almost catatonic in that he barely ate and just sat on a perch all day. After a few weeks I was gifted with a female from same breeder. I have a video of the moment they were first together.
It was amazing because Murphy came alive with happiness. At first we all thought Mickey was a male. As she matured her cere changed to white.

How are Budgie s different? They are 100 percent flock oriented. They eat, play and sing like other parrots. I prefer to call them companions rather then pets. I don't believe M&M will mate but they are inseparable buddies.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Nice topic. Over the many years in my life I have had mostly English budgies. Why English? I really don't know. They are larger than American and have some beautiful mutations. They even come with a crest sometimes. Rumor has it they are calmer. I have not found this to be the case. Before I got M&M as in my signature i had a wonderful EB named Chipper. He was an incredible talker. I was in a deep depression when he died from AGY. Now I try to educate other people with Budgie s to study AGY so you will know the signs and symptoms right away.

The two i have now we're from a breeder in NJ. I got Murphy first but he was almost catatonic in that he barely ate and just sat on a perch all day. After a few weeks I was gifted with a female from same breeder. I have a video of the moment they were first together.
It was amazing because Murphy came alive with happiness. At first we all thought Mickey was a male. As she matured her cere changed to white.

How are Budgie s different? They are 100 percent flock oriented. They eat, play and sing like other parrots. I prefer to call them companions rather then pets. I don't believe M&M will mate but they are inseparable buddies.

I had never seen an English budgie until I saw yours. Budgies are cute birds but I honestly think the English ones are the cutest. Your two are adorable.

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
My little guy is quite the affectionate budgie. Very clingy, loves to be right squished into my face, also loves head rubs. You can really see how each budgie differs in personality, I've had budgies that ranged from spunky to hands off to cuddly and so forth. Definitely flock birds, I would say only have a single budgie if you can devote enough time to it, if not get two.

You might want to visit the Good the bad the ugly about budgies.

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
That's really true, I like that it is easy to tell their gender. I have heard they are quiet, but that they chatter throughout the entire day. I am worried that I'd get annoyed easily by that. Is the noise quiet enough to kind of "fade into the background," or is it one of those things that's really prominent?
Mine live outside so they blend in with wild birds lol I can't have them inside I'm allergic to bird dust and seed casings

SchwuggieLove

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Between my sister, my brother and I, we've had 5 budgies. I love them! They are SO cute and adorable. So soft and fluffy.

They cost less because they more common and probably easier to breed. And, of course they eat less than larger birds, so that's cheaper too. I grew up with a couple cockatiels, but nothing bigger. However, from what I've heard and read, budgies are a lot less complicated when it comes to behavioral problems. No bluffing phase, less prone to plucking, biting, etc. than other birds. (One of my sister's birds did pluck for a short time after her mate died, but none of our others have.)

They are great for apartments, because they don't have ear-piercing screams, and since they're so tiny, they can still be happy in a smaller space. (My guy lives in my 13'x14' bedroom, which lets him fly to his little heart's content, whereas a macaw would get like two wing flaps in).

And did I mention they're seriously adorable?!

In my limited experience, two were quieter than one! I would recommend to find a Youtube video or something of budgies singing. Personally it never annoys me, no matter how much he does it, because I find it to be a beautiful sound. I love when he sings. His prime singing time is around 12-4pm, plus whenever I have the radio on. He gets quieter in the evenings.

The only noise that can be annoying to me is when he'll "squawk" a bunch of times in a row. However, while his mate was alive, he never did this. After she died, he realized I exist, and I became his flock. Now, if he wants my attention he'll squawk or "contact call" (look that up for examples too--- this one is not annoying to me at all either, but could be to some people). While his mate was alive, he never had to squawk for attention because she was always right there.

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
I know this isn’t a really recent post, but I thought I’d add my experience anyway. :)

Budgies REALLY are full of personality. It gets on my nerves when people use them as a great way to start from small birds and slowly move up to the bigger birds. They are still parrots just like Macaws and ‘Toos, they are just different.

In my experience, they’re just fun little birds, that’s exactly how I’d describe them. They put a smile on my face every day, and your life is sure to be filled with lots of laughter if you have a Budgie. It’s just funny watching them try to rip up something the same size as them. And then they do their little head bob dances. And then to add to that, they make such sweet little chirping sounds (mind you, they can still squawk!). It’s just amazing to see how funny and adorable these little guys can be.

but I find that the budgie is often very underrated and unfairly seen as a bird that's "for kids" instead of a potentially great companion for everyone

I’m so glad that you believe that, honestly. Not a ton of people do. I just do not think any type of parrot can make a great pet for a young child. Trust me, this is coming from a person who did have a Budgie when she was 7 years old: ME. I have been through being a parront at such a young age, and I don’t recommend it for young children around that age. I’m not saying a Budgie can’t be a great companion for a family with young children. I just dont think it’s a good idea to give the child the full responsibility of caring for the bird. I just think the first parents have to be aware of the care a parrot requires, that’s all. And, I mean, I’m not even an adult right now, but I am a teenager. I have spent a while learning the proper care of birds now, specifically Budgies, and my view on them and their care has changed drastically over the last couple of years. I’m home almost all day and can give much time to them, too, which helps. Jeez, I could write a book on this topic, but I’ll stop now. :o:

And because it’s been nearly 2 months since you’ve posted this thread, I’m going to go ahead and ask, have you brought home/decided on a bird?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thanks for updating and posting in this thread. Enjoyed reading you post very much.

While I already posted here I can add a few details about my budgies personality. Some part of a birds personality may be formed at the time of hatching and early life. My two were taken away from parents at 10 days and put in incubators for hand feeding and human contact. Did this pattern of early life make a difference later on? Some is my answer because they were both comfortable with stepping up on fingers and the company of humans. However their personality is so different. Murphy is a bird that really does not want human touch but he will sit on my shoulder at times. Mickey is a very sweet little girl who will respond to her head tickles and does not seem to be as standoffish as Murphy. They are very much into eachother and that is OK because it makes them happy.
One other behavior in the both of them is they stay in the area of the cage when out and about. Never have they landed anywhere else but the cage and sometimes the floor near the cage. Its OK with me. In my new apartment I will have 2 ceiling hooks put in so I can hang more bird items above the cage.

Last edited:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
@Lady Jane I have a second bouncy rope perch / boing thing coming, and I thought I might get a metal shelf bracket, hang it on the wall behind the bird cage and then hang the perch from that. Not sure how it will work, just a thought. Are you moving out of your apartment? Ceiling hooks sound great too.

Great post @SquawksNibbles - I so agree!

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I currently have two; Pikachu and Ripley. They're both swing addicts and act very differently from my other birds. Pikachu will walk right up to anybird's face and sing and smooch them, step away just a tad, then go right back to kissing. It's cute, but my lovebirds aren't the biggest fans of being kissed for hours, so I have to keep them under supervision.

They're also very flighty compared to my other birds. They spook easily and absolutely hate it when I have to pick them up for whatever reason and will "akakak" at me until the handling is over.

Pikachu will come to me and kiss my fingers, though. I try not to force contact unless I absolutely have to. Like the time Ripley got stuck under a desk.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I hang various things unveiling hooks. But bought two new ones for the new place.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I hang various things unveiling hooks. But bought two new ones for the new place.
When are you moving? Is it due to the pet deposit?

Trevor Jeffs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Trevor Jeffs
1529269782097975650910.jpg I love all three of mine one was a rescue one was an adoption and the other was petco purchase but she is still my favorite, i got her during a hard time in my life shortly after the suicide of my best friend of the last 20 years and she is almost a year old now she helped me through a lot and they all have their own weird personality (In the picture left to right Poof (she broke her tail feathers in a toy), Captain Jack Parakeet, and Nugget(used to be Rick))

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
View attachment 279569 i got her during a hard time in my life shortly after the suicide of my best friend of the last 20 years and she is almost a year old now she helped me through a lot

@Trevor Jeffs Isn't it amazing how much comfort these tiny beautiful souls give to us during times of hardship or sorrow? I love Poof's coloring! They're all beautiful birdies.

Birbs&Poodles

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julia
20180529_104351.jpg I have two budgies. I got Sweetpea a year ago. He loves to fly around and land on my shoulder. He is a big bird in a little body! He likes to fly onto my shoulder and get into a staring contest with me and try to bite my nose. He flips out over his toys, especially ones with bells. He's always calling out "Hey Baby, how you doing?". He's a sassy little brat and I can just watch him for hours!

I've had Kiwi for about 6 weeks now. Sweetpea is very smitten with her and is always preening her face. She is not hand-tamed yet but will follow Sweetpea onto my hand and shoulder. She has a very beautiful cry that I can only describe as feminine. I'm excited for her personality to come out more. Unfortunately her wings are clipped and she can't fly right now. I hope when she grows them back her confidence will grow. She still hasn't figured out she can't fly and keeps jumping out of the cagelike a little dive-bomber in order to try and follow Sweetpea. I can't wait until she grows her flight feathers back.

As someone who works a nightshift, I will say they can get quite shrill when they're excited in the day! louder than youd think. No complaints from the neighbours though and I'm in an apartment building.

Last edited: