• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tarantula molting

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Close to a yr later, and a succession of several molts later, and my Avicularia sp. "purple" finally has started getting pink toes instead of the black toes the spiderling have.

I'm always excited when this happens and had to share :dance4:

I shall wait until her new exoskeleton hardens and share pics of before and after.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awesome! A cat we adopted a long time ago destroyed the last exoskeleton of my late tarantula, Baby. I still have some pieces. Not sure why I keep them. Can't wait for photos!!!! :dance4:

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Finally getting around to uploding some pics of Fuzzy

Me holding a 'toe' of the molt before the change in 'toe' color

What the critter looks like now

Adorable pink toes :heart:
Will not come out of safety web :hehe:

Harlow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Harlow
Wow, how cool! I didn't even know tarantulas went through a molt.
She's very beautiful, but only via pictures. I freak when spiders are in sight, because I have been bit by a brown recluse (which I know is not the same thing) and I had to be hospitalized.
Can I ask what she eats, I know nothing about tarantulas. :spider:

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Wow, how cool! I didn't even know tarantulas went through a molt.
She's very beautiful, but only via pictures. I freak when spiders are in sight, because I have been bit by a brown recluse (which I know is not the same thing) and I had to be hospitalized.
Can I ask what she eats, I know nothing about tarantulas. :spider:
This one will eat wither roaches or crickets, whatever's available :D
All my tarantulas usually get by with eating once a week, which isn't underfeeding either. Pretty easy to take care of.

Where I live near the woods I have problems with recluses in the summer, so far I've managed to thwart anyone getting bitten. Hope to continue doing so.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow, she molted inside her web? My Rosey never did that. She was not much of a web maker. I think some tarantulas make more webbing than others. She is beautiful. :heart:

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I thought they flipped on their backs and wriggled out of the old skin?

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Wow, she molted inside her web? My Rosey never did that. She was not much of a web maker. I think some tarantulas make more webbing than others. She is beautiful. :heart:
Thanks!
Usually Ts do flip on their back to molt out of the old skin :D

Pinktoes are arboreal and all of mine web their cages, which is normal for them. You should see some of the designs of my adult's tunnels. Pretty cool stuff. That's a lot of why I love these guys, doesn't always help with pictures of the actual spider though :hehe:

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
That's so cool! She is really pretty! :heart:

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is your pink toe aggressive? I read somewhere they were. There was a tarantula exhibit nearby a couple years ago. I was in heaven!!! I took tons of photos and there was a gorgeous pink toe. :heart: Three hours I spent there. Thankfully, I was alone almost all the time to take my photos.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
That's so cool! She is really pretty! :heart:

Is your pink toe aggressive? I read somewhere they were. There was a tarantula exhibit nearby a couple years ago. I was in heaven!!! I took tons of photos and there was a gorgeous pink toe. :heart: Three hours I spent there. Thankfully, I was alone almost all the time to take my photos.
My pink toes aren't too bad temperament wise. They can sometimes be a bit speedy when startled but aren't too defensive. Of course, like birds :hehe: , not all animals match their stereotypes. I've met some demon rose hairs before. I think more people are worried about keeping pinktoes due to their humidity requirements, but it's really not that difficult. A pinktoe was my first T, didn't take me too long after that to figure out I prefer arboreal Ts. To each their own.

Most of the time I don't hold any of my Ts but one of mine I used to have never much showed any signs of stress or aggression so it helped with pictures any time he was due for a cage cleaning. This pic is one from back in 2010 before he matured.

Never been to a tarantula exhibit. That must've been pretty interesting :dance5: . Been to a few reptile expos though that had a rather large # of arachnids and other inverts for sale. Always fun getting to know people with similar animal interests.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He sure is a beauty! Do you have other tarantulas?

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
He sure is a beauty! Do you have other tarantulas?
My collection's on the smaller side right now :hehe:

Arachnids include:
Guyanan pink toe tarantula
Purple pink toe tarantula
Haitian Brown taranula
Venezuelan suntiger tatantula
Rose hair tarantula
Olive-keeled flat rock scorpion
Tanzanian red claw scorpion

Story of my life: I have a hard time saying no sometimes :lol:

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Are the suntigers aggressive?
They tend to be a bit aggressive. One that I have will come out of the hide (web) anytime it senses the cage is being tinkered with like a banshee out for blood :rofl:
It's not a species I'd normally recommend to those who are more comfortable around more docile spiders. Their webbing, colors, and feeding response makes them pretty awesome either way.

I've kept various different species over the years. Only species I'll never keep again are the Brazilian Salmon birdeaters, as I have an unusually high allergic reaction to their urticating hairs. I have a much worse reaction than with Goliaths or Mexican red knees. This reaction can vary from person to person, so it was a learning experience for me I guess you can say.

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
So cool!
What would be the least allergy inducing, do you think?
When my daughter was 3 or 4, instead of a dog, cat, bird or fish, she begged for a tarantula! (for years!) At first I was like "What?! No way!" :scared4:But when I started reconsidering, I found out that the little hairs were likely to induce an allergic reaction, let alone the venom. :scared2: :peek1:(She had extremely bad asthma and allergies when she was a kid)
Anyway, my other questions are:
What do your tarantulas live in? How big does his cage/tank have to be?
Is it important to let them out and run around? (out of cage time)
How often do their tanks have to be cleaned?
How do you get them out if they don't like to be handled? and where do you put them while cleaning?
What do you keep in their tanks?
Do they get baths?
Can you pet any of yours?
If they want to bite, is there a warning sign before they do?
Do they like to escape? (As in, are you always worried one might get out?)
Is there a just thing as a "lazy" spider?
Sorry about all the questions, if you have made a post about their basic care, please provide a link! ;)
Oh, and I'd love to see pics of your others! :hehe:

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
So cool!
What would be the least allergy inducing, do you think?
When my daughter was 3 or 4, instead of a dog, cat, bird or fish, she begged for a tarantula! (for years!) At first I was like "What?! No way!" :scared4:But when I started reconsidering, I found out that the little hairs were likely to induce an allergic reaction, let alone the venom. :scared2: :peek1:(She had extremely bad asthma and allergies when she was a kid)
Anyway, my other questions are:
What do your tarantulas live in? How big does his cage/tank have to be?
I like to make acrylic cages or use shoe boxes usually and drill holes (not aesthetic but easy to maintain). 5 1/2 to 10 gallon aquariums also work. Or Kritter Keepers you see in pet stores.

Is it important to let them out and run around? (out of cage time)
There is no real reason to let your spider out if its cage, except if you want some pictures (honestly). Or something like that.

How often do their tanks have to be cleaned?
Eh, I usually clean once or twice a year (depending on how dirty their cages get). As long they're mite free (little white bugs that sometimes get in the dirt if you keep species that like high, like 80%, humidity) and clean out any debris, maintenance usually isn't too bad.

How do you get them out if they don't like to be handled? and where do you put them while cleaning?
Paintbrushes are awesome for this. Use the soft end to direct them where you want. I usually use deli containers to keep them in till they can go home. I used to have videos showing this, alas, I accidentally deleted them. If I ever find them I'll post them.

What do you keep in their tanks?
Dirt, a shallow water dish, and something to hide in (either plants, plant pots, or coffee mugs :hehe:)

Do they get baths?
Not a good idea. They'll groom themselves :)

Can you pet any of yours?
I imagine petting a tarantula would very itchy... some don't mind being held occasionally though. Depends on the individual spider along with the species you have.

If they want to bite, is there a warning sign before they do?
If they have urticating hairs, a lot of times they'll use their legs to try and flick them. Otherwise, if it's reared up with it's legs in the air, it wants to bite and not hug you. :hug8:

Do they like to escape? (As in, are you always worried one might get out?)
Not really worried about it. If you keep them in proper cages and use common sense it shouldn't be a problem.

Is there a just thing as a "lazy" spider?
Tarantulas that are from the New World and are terrestrial are usually slower.

There's a number of good beginner tarantulas out there. Rosehairs and Mexican red knees are probably some of the most obvious choices. They both have urticating hairs, but the only time you'll come in contact with them is if they flick them at you because they're stressed or if you're cleaning and handling the inside of the cage. Use gloves for cleaning and it helps. Usually I see my tarantulas like fish tanks, pretty to look at but not touch, but occasionally during cleaning I've held a few of the more docile ones.

Mexican red knee tarantula

Rosehair tarantula

These guys are pretty easy to keep. 5 1/2 to 10 gallon cage is sufficient and give then a water dish to keep a lil humidity and you're good. Feed them once a week and keep them at room temperature (70+), and they're set. I always kept these guys in shoe boxes, as they also make sufficient sized homes.

These guys have pretty decent care sheets and cage info between the both of them:
The Tarantula's Burrow - Tarantula Care Sheets
TarantulaCages.com - Basic Tarantula Care Sheet

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Oh, and though tarantulas may be venomous, ones like the rosehair or redknee tarantulas don't have highly potent venom. Unless you have an anaphylactic reaction like some people who is allergic to bees, it'll hurt a lil but not be a serious bite. I've never been bitten so I can't really compare it. Simple solution, don't hold them if you're afraid someone might get bit. On the odd chance you should get bitten, it's not life threatening and shouldn't warrant hospitals or any real cause for concern either. And btw, no matter what people say, they DO NOT remove venom glands from tarantulas. It's ridiculous how much I've heard this and how much other people will refuse to believe the honest truth regarding this issue.

Old World species, however, have a pretty potent venom. Wouldn't recommend for a beginner, but they're fun. An Orange baboon tarantula is an Old World tarantula, the only spider my mother ever seen that said it was creepy and looked like something from the movie Aliens. Some of my other spiders she keeps asking me to send her pictures though on her phone....
:hehe:

Orange baboon tarantula (still young)

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
Thank you for taking the time Amanda! :hug8:
The Mexican red knee is especially Gorgeous! Does it like to make webs?

I think I remember seeing a black and purple tarantula, but I can't find anything like it when I do a search. Have you ever heard of such a thing?