• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sydney's plight has got me thinking...

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't want to be gloomy or anything, but Sydney's tragic plight has brought up my own concerns as to what will happen to my fids after I've passed.

My family and I are all complete animal lovers. My kids have always been surrounded by them from a very early age on. However, now that they are essentially grown, albeit most still living at home, I have this growing unrest over what will happen to my very large flock of precious babies once I'm gone. It's a sad reality for me to know that not all will be able to remain with our family. It's simply not a realistic expectation with such a large fid family.

Seeing what poor Sydney has endured after his beloved owner passed away, and knowing that he went from being a completely spoiled baby to becoming an unloved outcast for the last 8 years fills me with dis-ease. I'm not a young person anymore, but plan to be around with sound mind and body for 20-30 more years
God willing.

With that being said, I've decided to have a discussion with my kids that if I do suddenly pass, and if my kids aren't in a position to take over the loving care of my brood, I will be leaving them my user/password to this forum. I need to know that my babies will NOT become another Sydney. I will be asking them to reach out to each and every one of you to see if anyone from my AA family has a little corner available in their homes to bring in one of my very special babies.

I'm in excellent health at this point in time, but want to begin planning for my inevitable departure. Just wanted to let you all know how much you mean to me by placing my babys' eventual care into your hands. :heart:
Thank you for listening. Love to you all.

Last edited:

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
It's always good to plan for the future. I'm hoping to stick around for a while, but who knows, I could walk out my front door and get hit by a bus. I wonder if there's something similar to an advanced directive that dictates care for pets? Maybe something similar to setting up guardianship of a child?

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
And if ever that happens, we will do everything in our power to ensure that your babies go to loving new homes, and are well taken care of for the rest of their lives. You and your birds are near and dear to all of us. We wouldn't let you down. :bluhug:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It is scary.

Sydney's story touched me too. MC has my heart. Secret, well Secret ... It takes a lot of love to care for Secret.

Hubby promises to care for them but what if the next spouse hates them? Will they be in a shed?

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
My husband already told me if something happens he is going to keep the birds and care for them. He said his life wouldn't be the same without them and they would be like having part of me there with him all the time.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
That original post was very touching @Nikomania.
It is a very good idea to have this stuff sorted out and well organized with the whole family aware of what should be done when our time comes. Unfortunately we never know when our last day will be so although it may seem morbid to discuss this stuff while we are healthy, it is the best time to make sure that fail safe arrangements are made for our feather and fur family members.
Thank you for posting this as it has reminded me that I actually need to update my will.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
You are so smart to cover the bases with pre-planning just in case!
This is something I have certainly thought about more often than I would like to...
I just pray a lot! I would definitely entrust my AA family if the situation arose! :heart: :coolparrot:

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
OMG I was thinking about this sort of situation the other day too, and I know hubby doesn't have the patience for them and I would want them to go to another home where they would be spoiled. It's a sad thing to think about but it is reality.

@Nikomania I think that is a sweet thing to do and you know for sure your babies would be well taken care of by other members. :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
For any of you wanting plan for your bird's future after you can no longer care for them The Oasis Sanctuary has some very good information. Of course, they encourage a donation to them, but there are also articles about leaving a gift directly to the care of your bird and other solutions. This is the sanctuary where I volunteered and my vet, Dr. Driggers, is now chairman of the board of directors. They are a fine organization.

Estate Planning - The Oasis Sanctuary

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I also have care sheets written up about all my pets - species, birthdate, where I got them, normal routine and foods with brands and amounts, identifying marks/ behaviors, and the succession of who gets them if something happens to me, up to 3 people each. Gives me peace of mind. I do need an official document made up though

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It's always a good idea to put your pets in your will. Whoever is your executor can oversee that your wishes are carried out. It's something that I still have to do myself, as you never know what the future holds. Our rescue here (PEARL) will accept birds left to them in people's wills and see that they're found good homes.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
At 63, I'm certainly hoping to survive the 10-15 years that my Linnie lives, but you never know. My husband has only been supportive of me with birds, never hands on. This is really something to think about.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I also have care sheets written up about all my pets - species, birthdate, where I got them, normal routine and foods with brands and amounts, identifying marks/ behaviors, and the succession of who gets them if something happens to me, up to 3 people each. Gives me peace of mind. I do need an official document made up though
I'm planning on doing the exact same thing very soon.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
At the age if 76 this is always on my mind. I had to designate a person to take my birds should I no longer be able to care for them to live in the new apartment. My good friend here on the forum @Laura729 has spoken up and will find them a home. She may also post them here on AA if that occurs. It is vitally important to do this for your birds, even if you are a young person.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm thinking I will out live my tiels , since they're all around 14 to 18 years old, my IRN may outlive me. So my BFF's son will take him, hes the only other person that bird really likes..As for the doves, and pidge,,,well...theres always Liberty Wildlife..

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I'd like to think that if I died, my dad would take care of Chirp. They're good buddies, and dad knows how to care for him and his personal quirks and habits.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
We inherited Sunny because his owner passed away. I'm pretty sure she didn't think Sunny, a senior tiel, would actually out live her but he did. Luckily she had made the right arrangements by leaving him to my fiancé (and then actually me. LOL.) When I think of some of her family members he could have ended up with I shudder. Not that they would have been abusive, but I think due to lack of knowledge would have just left him in his cage and fed him cheap bird seed thinking that was all that needed done.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
When I had my will made up, a portion goes to the care of my animals, gives custody to a friend, and has suggestions for re-homing. My will is also set up in such a way that I can change conditions and instructions.